405th versus 501st

Status
Not open for further replies.
iamyourcousin228 said:
I would rather have MC that trooper or clone. MC is fresh and that is way older! im all fresh!

Not really sure what your saying, I only speak English, Bad English and Chinglish.

MC is actualy OLDER than Clonetroopers, so yeah...

Last edited by a moderator:
...the 405th should look at what the 501st does (right and wrong) and learn from it as a way for this organization to grow...I would personally love to see the 405th become Internationally recognized...I have witnessed a lot of hard work and dedication from the members here on this forum just in the short time I have been a member...this is a great base to start...

...the main criticism I would have on this site is the membership qualifications...from what I have witnessed, this forum tends to attract a much younger audience which is rather quick to flame people or lack patience...hence one can see why there is an 18 or older requirement to officially join the 501st...of course the Admins have done a stand-up job in monitoring things :cool:

Well the 501st has all there armor looking the same. We would have to produce 1. a set armor color 2. QUALITY..theres some not so "up to par" armor, but I wont say what or who, thats just harsh. It would take some time, but its possible. :cool:

Spartan-343 said:
Well the 501st has all there armor looking the same. We would have to produce 1. a set armor color 2. QUALITY..theres some not so "up to par" armor, but I wont say what or who, thats just harsh. It would take some time, but its possible. :cool:

We have a standard. Give the same armor to two different people and you will have two totally different setups.

kerotan 36 said:
i wanna help in any way against the 501st even if it means rushing myelf and finish my armors in a month for a con just to show up those 501st people

This is what we don't need.

The 405th and the 501st are not 'opposing gangs'. We (the 405th) are not out to prove who's better (see my previous comment), and we never should be.

We're here because we want to make armor and look good in it, and have some fun along the way. We're not about proving ourselves as the best out there, and to be honest, the day we start taking the elitist approach is the day we stop having fun. And to be honest, if that day comes, I'll sell away everything that marks me down as a 405th member.

I'm here to enjoy myself, meet new people, and make armor. I don't need to prove myself as better than the 501st, and to be honest, I don't think any of us here ever can. We're a small group up against something almost commercial, and until we have a large, dedicated userbase with a lot of experience, we'll never be able to. Besides, we're about Halo, not Star Wars. As such, we shouldn't try to emulate that group, but make out own unique group.

If we do that I guarantee, in time we'll be as good as the 501st, and we'll have them as allies. Not enemies.

When people make remarks that say that they want to "show up" people in the 501st it makes me want to burn my copy of halo(as in flames....not copies). One of the biggest reason that they have the 18 or older rule is that often times cons, parades, events are outdoors. Starwars Weekends at MGM studios in florida is all outdoors in the middle of the summer. Heatstroke and dehydration are a big issue with the new guy on the block. It simply falls under safety and the fact that if a 15 yr old gets heatstroke and dies the 501st will get all the heat. Many people wouldnt blame the 501st for the heatstroke but the fact is, it happened at a 501st event and thats what people will associate. Under 18 means health insurance as a group.

Secondly the 501st was started as a tribute to Katie, the 501st founder's daughter who died from brain cancer at the age of 7. Starwars fans alike came forward and supported her and her family during the hard times. The 501st isn't about being an elitest party, it is about charity work and getting together to have fun with other geeks and nerds who hold the same passion.

In other words.......stop bashing the 501st, maybe once the 405th becomes something big (not that it isn't already greatly growing since the start of halo)nwe could do charities or something else to give back to those who need it.

The 405th just needs time to grow and become established, that's all. Once that happens it will be a landslide effect. The more public representation we have the more people become exposed to the Halo universe and spark and interest that will develop immensely over a lifetime.

With that said, might I make it known that I just now qualified after 2 years of waiting for the 501st and I'm not even a member yet. It was worth the wait, I was able to put together any loose change I had and make an awesome set of TD (Sandtrooper) armor that is actually still in progress believe it or not.......AFTER TWO YEARS!!! but it is well worth it, because the reason I AM JOINING The 501st, is because I want my name to be associated with charity and doing good for others.

rant over..... :p sorry

Unite not Fight

P.S. thank you to everyone who has backed the 501st and tried to keep this from becoming an arguement to the death.

TD???? said:
Unite not Fight

Nice one. That should be the new standard answer to those who bash the 501st.

I wholeheartedly agree with every word of the above two posts.
Unfortunately, the same points have been made throughout this thread and a few others, and they're still being ignored... some people just think that everything is about competition and coming out on top.

TD???? said:
Secondly the 501st was started as a tribute to Katie, the 501st founder's daughter who died from brain cancer at the age of 7. Starwars fans alike came forward and supported her and her family during the hard times. The 501st isn't about being an elitest party, it is about charity work and getting together to have fun with other geeks and nerds who hold the same passion.

I think that info is incorrect. Katie just passed away recently. Albin Johnson's website has a bit of a detailed history.

slavefive said:
...the 405th should look at what the 501st does (right and wrong) and learn from it as a way for this organization to grow...I would personally love to see the 405th become Internationally recognized...I have witnessed a lot of hard work and dedication from the members here on this forum just in the short time I have been a member...this is a great base to start...

...the main criticism I would have on this site is the membership qualifications...from what I have witnessed, this forum tends to attract a much younger audience which is rather quick to flame people or lack patience...hence one can see why there is an 18 or older requirement to officially join the 501st...of course the Admins have done a stand-up job in monitoring things :cool:
Only problem. They are offical, we arent.

Bungie and Microsoft do not recognize us as a offical organization, thus, not being offical, it isnt easy to do what 501st does.

I'd have to say that pep is getting to be so accurate, it's almost replacing molds. Not quite there yet though.

With that said, it's very easy to make cheap MC armor of many variations with pep.

I don't see why we should cut pep and have our members only make "more realistic" molded suits.

I am sorry I don't understand the anger toward the 501st. I am member of the Midwest garrison and here. Not only am I trooper Tk1055 but I also consider myself Spartan 1055. Has the 501st done something to you personaly or is it the standards that are the issue? I think it could be really cool to do a friendly competition with the 501st. If we could set something up we could possibly do something for charity togather :D

TD???? said:
Unite not Fight

Signed! :)

tk1055 said:
I am sorry I don't understand the anger toward the 501st. I am member of the Midwest garrison and here. Not only am I trooper Tk1055 but I also consider myself Spartan 1055. Has the 501st done something to you personaly or is it the standards that are the issue? I think it could be really cool to do a friendly competition with the 501st. If we could set something up we could possibly do something for charity togather :D

Yeah, I'm 501st member too and I think its no problem to "fight" for both Universes. :D I think both are good fan communities to share our hobbies with others and stay contacted and do something together, share knowledge, doing charity or just looking good ;) . And I think no hobby should result in a competition. :) Especially if they don't even represent the same thing. :cool:

drgon47 said:
Holy crap. That was amazing. Id love to do that. The simple fact is since our armor is not easily made as theirs, it takes much longer, but then there is more passion in it. This group is still very young. How long as the 501st been around ? Great job by them.

somebody tell the Admin about this.... we should do this too
but is stormtroopers the only thing they make?

shadow8136 said:
somebody tell the Admin about this.... we should do this too
but is stormtroopers the only thing they make?
No, that's just the most common, there's also clone troops, sandtroopers, snowtroopers, biker scouts and varients of those.

shadow8136 said:
... but is stormtroopers the only thing they make?

There's a big list of 501st costumes on the 501st CRL page and I'm fairly certain those are just the 501st approved costumes, there are plenty of others just waiting for more references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back