A Bit Of Inspiration: My Mate Driving Weta's Warthog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Trenchy

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here but I've been keeping this under wraps for a few months and now I can finally speak about it. Anyway, I thought it might be of some interest to the prop makers around here to check out the article.

Last year my mate, Alistair a freelance games journalist, was asked by Official Xbox Magazine to fly to New Zealand and interview the blokes at Weta about the Halo-related stuff they built (originally for the now defunct movie), which included a real working Warthog.

He got to check out all sorts of props and costumes and even got to drive the Warthog itself (and he doesn't even have a license. I'm usually giving him a lift to parties!! :p )

The article he wrote is in the latest issue of Official Xbox Magazine (I think for both US and Australia) and so that's why I'm allowed to speak about it now and show you some shots he emailed to me.

The Warthog was driven at a local school oval and the representative from Microsoft that was there drove it into the set of goal posts (shhhhh. Keep that to yourself)

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bloody jealous!! I think a video of the Warthog in action will be available on Xbox Live next month (I was told US only, which sucks for me). I've yet to check out the article myself but that is certainly on my list the next time I go and get the weekly paper!

_U1_0310_011008.jpg

_U1_0394_011008.jpg

_U1_0513_011008.jpg

_U1_0585_011008.jpg

_U1_8151_011008%20(2).jpg

_U1_8175_011008.jpg

(palmface)
At least now we know WETA did not destroy 'em(I've read somewhere that it is not allowed to tell what microsoft did with them)

JustMe
BTW: I'm jealous too

I think there's a video of this up on the 360 dashboard right now. They show the interior controls in pretty good detail and what they all do. Pretty cool stuff.

Since your friend got to see it up close and personal, any chance you might be able to ask him if the Hog had seatbelts? That's something my girlfriend and I have been curious about... especially since they mention rolling it over in the video.

Damn that looks wicked!!!! bet its weird to drive hence the MS rep crashing lol

those replica weapons look ace too!!!

is this legit? because if it is, i think i just found jealousy in you.

that must be the chance of a lifetime (other than to visit bungie)

DJHicks said:
Damn that looks wicked!!!! bet its weird to drive hence the MS rep crashing lol

those replica weapons look ace too!!!

OR the MS guy just can't drive

Me want hog

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god. That is the luckiest man alive! Well, other than the people who acted in the short films. If I were you,
would have stowed away in the plane he took there and stalked him until he got to WETA workshops. Than I would have snuck in. You're friend should have nabed something from there LOL

So the Halo movie is officialy a no? Or is it still a mabey? I herd there is a script being wrighten and there is some concept art. Sorry for going off topic, but you mensioned that the halo movie was defunct in this topic. I just want to clear this up.

EDIT: Thanks for posting the picture of him wearing the marine armour. That is a great referance shot for alot of people!

So Weta made a Spiker, Carbine, and Plasma Pistol? I wish we could get more pictures of those things. And btw, Smick's Spiker looks way better. I would know, I got one. :D

That is freaking sweet. I'm so jealous too! This reminded me of the other video of who i presume are MS guys crashing a wart hog into a wall in a carpark... Lol

Yes, it is legit and I am still sooooo jealous.

I remember Ally telling me he got this gig weeks before he left (I almost punched him out I was gobsmacked) and at first they were telling him that he would get to drive it. Then he was informed that because of the possible risks involved and liability he would not get to drive it. On the day he rocked up to Weta, during the interview and viewing of the Warthog one of the builders mentioned offhand that Ally would 'certainly get to feel how the vehicle handles' (paraphrasing). He did a double-take and the rest is history.

I don't remember hearing that anyone rolled the Warthog but I can ask him. I was only told about the goal post incident.

That turret on the back is non-firing and operational too!

Also, if I remember correctly, apparently Microsoft Australia are trying to get one commissioned for promotional purposes so we may see one on my side of the Tasman eventually!

Concerning the film, last I heard the big studios that were tied to the project were allegedly unhappy with Peter Jackson's choice for director, Neil Blomkamp (best known for the Halo Landfall adverts) and so Fox and Universal pulled their money out. This source claims it was to do with massive budget: http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2007...alo_film_d.html

Yeah, I wish I was able to go see this baby too. But I will just have to live vicariously via my mate!! (yes, I'm well aware that I'm pretty much doing a 'I know him' sort of thing here! :D )

Old Trenchy said:
Also, if I remember correctly, apparently Microsoft Australia are trying to get one commissioned for promotional purposes so we may see one on my side of the Tasman eventually!
please let that be true!!!! (y) (y)
They should also hire me :D my ODST should be done in time for Halo wars, at easily done before halo ODST, and there's always my trusty MC :D

Edit, nice pics btw, I'm insanely jealous!

Old Trenchy said:
I don't remember hearing that anyone rolled the Warthog but I can ask him. I was only told about the goal post incident.
In the video, when your friend asked about safety, it was mentioned that it probably could be safely rolled due to the heavy steel roll cage. They didn't actually roll it.

Anyway, that's why I was wondering about seatbelts and all, because why bother to give it such a heavy duty roll cage if people are just going to be thrown out of it in the case of an accident anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back