A few questions before I start out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proximal Pyro

Hi!

I am just getting into this costume making thing and before I start out I would like some advice.

For now I'm only planning on making a helmet scince I want to try it out. I am planning on using EVA foam to create the helmet.

My questions are:

How much EVA foam will it take? I don't need an exact number, I just roughly want to know how much to purchase. I am planning on using 61cm x 61cm x 1,2cm sheets of foam. (Link here (Swedish site): http://www.biltema.se/sv/Fritid/Sport/Traning/Traningsmatta-2000031674/ ). Are these any good? Does anyone have experience with these? Does it matter that much what I pick? I have heard there is different type of EVA foam and is it really so much difference between the types?

What would you recommend for a visor? I have not looked so much into this but my guess would be a motorcycle visor is the best.

EDIT: Forgot to add the helmet I'm making... Anyway it's this one: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=989

I'm sorry for all the questions (I know there is quite alot) but thanks for your help :)
//Proximal Pyro

Sorry, I am unable to answer the foam question, but you never said which helmet you're making. For MOST helmets, motorcycle visor is probably the worst option if you're going for accuracy, well, this is what i've heard.

But which helmet are you making?

No worries.
I reckon you'd be able to use a motorcycle visor for that, and make it look great. Depending on your budget, or what you have, you may want to consider getting 2 of the same visors, that way you can re create the 'grooves' in the visor by cutting them out of one and overlapping it on the second. However this isn't necessary, but would look better and more accurate. :)

Those sheets of EVA you linked to appear to be very similar to the stuff I am using for my current projects. Looking at how much comes in a single package of that stuff, I can't imagine you needing more than one package of it for a single helmet. Of course, if mistakes are made you'll wind of using more of the foam to make duplicate parts, but a single pack should have the amount you need for a helmet, with some left over.

Those sheets of EVA you linked to appear to be very similar to the stuff I am using for my current projects. Looking at how much comes in a single package of that stuff, I can't imagine you needing more than one package of it for a single helmet. Of course, if mistakes are made you'll wind of using more of the foam to make duplicate parts, but a single pack should have the amount you need for a helmet, with some left over.

Ok thanks! I'll start by purchasing one pack. I can always buy more if I run into problems. Again thanks :)

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention: planning is going to be important when it comes to getting your foam parts outlined for your helmet. What i mean by that is you want to fit as many helmet parts on to each of those 4 sheets as possible. The more gaps you have in-between your parts, the more of the foam you wind up throwing away. Have fun, good luck, and I look forward to any pictures you might post in the future.

Ah, of course! I will try my best! Have been looking forward to this for a while now and I'm finnaly able to get started! Pics might be posted in the future ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back