A Few Questions I Have Before I Make A Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

samysam95

... hello, and thanks for listening. I am considering buying a legendary edition helmet from the Halo 3 legendary edition box set just so you know.
I was wondering if I could make a mould of this helmet instead of molding a helmet out of clay as you usualy would for the molding process, is this possible? thanks

This would have been a good question for the Q&A Team. Personally I don't recommend it. You don't have to sculpt out of clay to mold a helmet. Several here have started as pep.

you can do it, but it may be a bit too small. just lookin out for ya.

if you dont want to make a pepakura model, you can try from clay, but you may be shelling out a bit of cash for it.

a few people have even said its got innacuracies, is it true i dont know *shrugs* but who knows maybe you can just get some clay add a layer onto it to make it a lil larger, then give it the accuricies it needs :p will that work i dont know, i dont know much about moulding yet

it is cheaper and easier to go the pep route though

redragon74 said:
a few people have even said its got innacuracies, is it true i dont know *shrugs* but who knows maybe you can just get some clay add a layer onto it to make it a lil larger, then give it the accuricies it needs :p will that work i dont know, i dont know much about moulding yet
it is cheaper and easier to go the pep route though
It's difficult to actually shape out the clay untop (unless you have a thick layer of it)
If you have a thin layer you cant add 'indend' details..

-FSS

Last edited by a moderator:
it will cost you a few hundred to copy that helmet. about 200 for rebound25 and about 100 for plastic.

so that is NOT the cheap way to go.

if you want to wear it, just gut the thing. there are several people on here who have done it.

however unless youre a tiny person it will look and fit way too small.

well the helmet I am buying as it is, is $10 US. It seem alright to me and I am pretty young and it is small so I will just buy it and see how big it is then if it is too small I will move on and use pepakura or moulding.

while I am typing, sorry to go off topic but I found a good visor, a Flight helmet. It has a good curve, isnt too big so it doesnt need alot of triming. You would only need to get a deep mirroring tint on it, I know people perfer buying it Iridium gold, but my dad has tinted things before and he knows a guy that could get a realy deep light-mirroring tint on it.

that coudl work.

i wasnt sayignt he helmet woudl be expensive, i was saying how you want to mold it woudl be very expensive for you

Jax Archillies said:
that coudl work.

i wasnt sayignt he helmet woudl be expensive, i was saying how you want to mold it woudl be very expensive for you

ok, thanks

samysam said:
... hello, and thanks for listening. I am considering buying a legendary edition helmet from the Halo 3 legendary edition box set just so you know.
I was wondering if I could make a mould of this helmet instead of molding a helmet out of clay as you usualy would for the molding process, is this possible? thanks

Samysam,

I molded the legenday edition helm, it is small. I ended up taking the original mold casted and splitting it down the middle and widening it 1.5 inches ( so it wouldnt throw off the scale to badly.) It now all fits nicely it is still a little shorter then I would like but I am on a time-table with very little spare time.

If your over say 5ft 7 with a head circumfrence of 22 inches I would suggest going a different route. Total cost for my molding project ( for the helm anyway) was $253.00 that was for enough rebound25 to make 2 molds and enough plastic(smoothon 300) to cast 4 helms, the clay(2lbs modella NSP) used to widen it

Here is a link to the 1st helm cast after the widening process, note the back plate is cut off. turns out this was not required so I recast 2 more with back plate attached, it will fit over your head once the helm is widened. when I get back home I will post up pics of the ones casted with the back plate attached so you can see.( on the road for 2 weeks straight dang it.)

Legendary helm pics

Evil Taylor said:
Samysam,

I molded the legenday edition helm, it is small. I ended up taking the original mold casted and splitting it down the middle and widening it 1.5 inches ( so it wouldnt throw off the scale to badly.) It now all fits nicely it is still a little shorter then I would like but I am on a time-table with very little spare time.

If your over say 5ft 7 with a head circumfrence of 22 inches I would suggest going a different route. Total cost for my molding project ( for the helm anyway) was $253.00 that was for enough rebound25 to make 2 molds and enough plastic(smoothon 300) to cast 4 helms, the clay(2lbs modella NSP) used to widen it

Here is a link to the 1st helm cast after the widening process, note the back plate is cut off. turns out this was not required so I recast 2 more with back plate attached, it will fit over your head once the helm is widened. when I get back home I will post up pics of the ones casted with the back plate attached so you can see.( on the road for 2 weeks straight dang it.)

Legendary helm pics

Thanks alot helped out. much apreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back