A Little Healthy Competition?

What do you think about Halo-ween photo contest?

• I think you may be on to something here...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No thanks, I don't think I'll finish in time.

• Nope, not interested.

• This is by far the worst idea in the history of bad ideas,evar!

• A jar of almonds.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an awesome idea. Also more incentive to play less Firefight and do more costume work.

I was this close to voting for the jar of almonds. Then I remembered I'm allergic.

i have been wanting to do a little photo contest for a while now, but never got around to it... So if yall would like i got a ruff cast of my Ma5k from dave, that i would like to throw in as one of the prizes... Maybe it could be the prize for Best group photo?

DreadMullet said:
i have been wanting to do a little photo contest for a while now, but never got around to it... So if yall would like i got a ruff cast of my Ma5k from dave, that i would like to throw in as one of the prizes... Maybe it could be the prize for Best group photo?

Why, so the entire group can fight over it? :pKidding, kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am SOOOO in for this! See you at the finish line suckers!!! ;)

P.S. Because I know it will come up, maybe there should be a photoshop section too, because they're hard to judge next to regular pics sometimes.

I love the idea! Plus it adds incentive for new builders (like me) to finish.

But there should be more armour catagories ie:molded,peped,cardboard,

And small prizes for each but one grand prize for overall best.

Because my card board in progress suit would not stand a chance against a molded suit but stand a good chance against other cardboards.

WE SHOULD SPREAD THIS AROUND MORE!

Definitly. I'll lose, but at least I can say I had a shot. XP I'll be cutting it close, IMO...There'll also be some pics of October 28th, because I'm going to my orthodontists in costume.

Lets keep this to just armor suits as that's what this contest is designed to stimulate. I'm not giving out armor pieces for a photoshop.

The QUALITY of the armor is surely a consideration, but don't count yourself out. The composition and elements in the photo count for quite a bit as well.

I'd vote for a mediocre suit of armor in a ridiculous halloween shenanigan shot (crowd surfing a rave club, etc) over a phenomenal armor build anyday.

That said, I'm bringing my A game, you'd better bring yours as well.

Only problem I can see is people in groups shots not being able to divide tangible prizes. Perhaps group shots are something where there is only one contestant in Halo armour, and the others must not be eligible for the prize? (i.e. Are dressed as pirates, or ninjas, or something.

Yodajammies said:
Lets keep this to just armor suits as that's what this contest is designed to stimulate. I'm not giving out armor pieces for a photoshop.

/agree

Yodajammies said:

The QUALITY of the armor is surely a consideration, but don't count yourself out. The composition and elements in the photo count for quite a bit as well.

I'd vote for a mediocre suit of armor in a ridiculous halloween shenanigan shot (crowd surfing a rave club, etc) over a phenomenal armor build anyday.

That said, I'm bringing my A game, you'd better bring yours as well.

I'd be hesitant to vote for a mediocre suit just because it's funny or something. I've gotten burned too many times by logic like that. It's like not rewarding the people who work really freaking hard, you know? I got booted out of the first round of a halloween costume contest with my grunt, and you know who by? Some dude in a Borat costume (he had the hair and one of those weird thong swimsuit things). Why? Because he was Borat. Yeah. It was LAME. The other people I was up against also made it to the next round, which was a group costume made of a layer of cardboard and some tin foil. They were a tool set. Wooooo freaking awesome. A tool set made in five minutes.

Jealous? Perhaps. But rightly so, in my opinion. Hard work doesn't get rewarded often enough.

Achille said:
Only problem I can see is people in groups shots not being able to divide tangible prizes. Perhaps group shots are something where there is only one contestant in Halo armour, and the others must not be eligible for the prize? (i.e. Are dressed as pirates, or ninjas, or something.

Well, IMO the prize goes to the person who entered the picture right?

RFPnoodle said:
I'd be hesitant to vote for a mediocre suit just because it's funny or something. I've gotten burned too many times by logic like that. It's like not rewarding the people who work really freaking hard, you know? I got booted out of the first round of a halloween costume contest with my grunt, and you know who by? Some dude in a Borat costume (he had the hair and one of those weird thong swimsuit things). Why? Because he was Borat. Yeah. It was LAME. The other people I was up against also made it to the next round, which was a group costume made of a layer of cardboard and some tin foil. They were a tool set. Wooooo freaking awesome. A tool set made in five minutes.

Jealous? Perhaps. But rightly so, in my opinion. Hard work doesn't get rewarded often enough.

Well, the awesome suit of armor you made is your reward. This is a contest about context, and the quality of the costume itself is not the end-all be-all of what is being judged. That said, I'm sure it weighs into the opinion. But like someone pointed out earlier, just a picture of an extraordinarily well-made suit of armor just turns into a constest for the most seasoned prop-makers on here and entirely not what this 'contest' is supposed to be about. It's more about the elements involved, of which the cosumte itself is merely one.

Just my 2 cents. Hell, I'll be climbing in Joshua Tree on Halloween, so I can't play anyways. :(

Well, I'm a noob, no money, and no experience so count me out. But by all means you guys go ahead, wanna see some sweet costumes!

If I can start and finish an ODST by the time Halo-ween comes by, I'll definitely be all for this.

*Opens Pepakura Designer*

BTW, can we edit the pics? Like change the contrast and what have you?

Yodajammies said:

There could always be a 'best-photoshop'd-into-a-battle' category or something.

While I don't think groups should be left out of potentially winning a physical, material prize, there should probably be some kind of limit in place. For example groups of three maximum or something, if said group wishes to actually compete for a prize, that way it might be possible to obtain multiple prizes that could be awarded to a two or three person effort. While big groups would be very cool, logistically the possibility of obtaining enough prizes to go around decreases as the number of participants in a group increases.

That said, I would like to see some larger groups and see what they can do. Just from a logical point of view, smaller groups are probably better for actual prizes.

Lord Farquaad said:
Well, IMO the prize goes to the person who entered the picture right?

Well, the awesome suit of armor you made is your reward. This is a contest about context, and the quality of the costume itself is not the end-all be-all of what is being judged. That said, I'm sure it weighs into the opinion. But like someone pointed out earlier, just a picture of an extraordinarily well-made suit of armor just turns into a constest for the most seasoned prop-makers on here and entirely not what this 'contest' is supposed to be about. It's more about the elements involved, of which the cosumte itself is merely one.

Just my 2 cents. Hell, I'll be climbing in Joshua Tree on Halloween, so I can't play anyways. :(

Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back