Soft Parts Accurate Rakshasa Undersuit with Sewing Pattern

ATX Spider

Hey yall! My name is Liam, I am a LONG time lurker who is finally working on a Halo cosplay. I wanted to do one as a kid, but didn't have the skills so it never progressed beyond an idea. I actually started cosplaying in 2019 making Spider-Man costumes, so that (and sewing stretch fabrics) is my bread and butter. When I saw Aguilar's Workshop post about his Rakshasa armor, I was inspired to work on the soft parts for the undersuit, so here we are. I am starting by making an undersuit for Aguilar himself, and then will be making my own.

I started by designing the pattern in CLO3D, a pattern making software that I've used for years. I spent a lot of time making sure the details were as accurate to the game as possible. Ultimately I determined that the undersuit was primarily made of three parts: a shirt, pants, and a vest. The in-game model actually translated to a pattern pretty well, and I was able to grade it to Aguilar's measurements. Here is a render of the pattern using Aguilar's armor in CLO3D.

Rakshasa Undersuit.png
Rakshasa Undersuit_1.png

I decided to use Bullet Textured Liverpool Spandex for the fabrics of the suit. It's a cheaper alternative to the screen-printed spandex used for superhero costumes which allows for it to be lightweight and flexible, while still having the appearance of bulk and texture necessary for this type of costume. For the puffy parts of the vest I used volume fleece and top-stitched the detail lines to mimic the look in the game. I tested different thicknesses (no fleece, medium loft, and high loft), and found high loft to be the most accurate.

20230222_171856.jpg

I've just finished the base of the vest and am going to work on the pants and shirt next, then I'll start adding the absurd number of belt loops, rivets, and other details to make it look like it does in game. Lastly I'll be weathering the suit, which will darken the fabric to be even more accurate.
I will also be selling the pattern once I have determined how functional it is, and will make a full tutorial while working on my own suit. Overall I am really excited to finish this project and add armor on top, I think it will be a lot of fun.

Vest 1.jpg
Vest 2.jpg

Minor update: we have pants! I'm happy with how they turned out, especially the details on the knee-pads and the ankle cuffs. The suit is also very comfortable so far. I hesitate to say we've finally made a comfortable Spartan cosplay, but we'll see when it's finished.

20230321_123142.jpg

I'll probably find a way to make them baggier on the final pattern, but Aguilar and I met up this weekend for a test fitting and it looked great. I'll be working on the shirt next, then adding the rest of the details, though this week likely won't see much progress as I have other cosplay projects which need finishing. Regardless the armor looks fantastic, and I'm real excited to start strapping mine together.

God i love watching someone who actually knows how to sew and pattern making halo themed undersuits. Really brings the armour to life.
Aw, thank you kindly! I'm trying to cut my teeth on this one, then hope to work on some more traditional undersuits like the Mark V to VII series

Thanks so much! I had to take a long break due to a work obligation, but I'm finally back and should be able to get lots of work done on it this week. Thanks for keeping up!

One month later, and progress is being made! Most of the diffuclt parts are done, soon it'll just be details and finishing. Sadly, I'm about to leave town again, so it'll be a few weeks before I can work on it again.

That said, here's the neck seal (with invisible zipper):
1688759388368.png

1688759363236.png

And the shoulder details! This is mostly just to give an idea of what I'll be doing for the details, finding the right material for the tubes on the arm proved harder than I expected, but simple rope seems to do the trick really well.
1688759333632.png

Thanks for checking in, hopefully I'll have more updates soon.

Definitely can't wait to see the finished version!
Very much interested in buying the pattern once you are ready to put up the final design

Absolutely gonna keep tabs on this, it looks fantastic so far! Definitely want to incorporate into my Rakshasa

Has there been any updates on the pattern?
Yes actually! Sorry for the complete radio silence, but I have finally finished V1 of the sewing pattern. You can find it on my Etsy here: https://atxspider.etsy.com/listing/1601265070
Great timing because I've currently got a Black Friday sale going on!
I haven't yet been able to write instructions, but if yall have any questions, feel free to reach out. Thanks for all the support yall! I'll have updates on the first physical prototype soon too.

Slide5.PNG

Yes actually! Sorry for the complete radio silence, but I have finally finished V1 of the sewing pattern. You can find it on my Etsy here: https://atxspider.etsy.com/listing/1601265070
Great timing because I've currently got a Black Friday sale going on!
I haven't yet been able to write instructions, but if yall have any questions, feel free to reach out. Thanks for all the support yall! I'll have updates on the first physical prototype soon too.

View attachment 338869
That's looks amazing! I'm definitely gonna have to pick that up. Does it also have the vest pattern as well?

That's looks amazing! I'm definitely gonna have to pick that up. Does it also have the vest pattern as well?
It does. The pattern is actually for a shirt, pants, and the vest. That seems to be how the suit is "crafted" in game. I might change it so the collar is it's own piece (a neck seal like on Mandalorian flight suits), but for now it can just be attached to the shirt like a turtleneck.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back