Advise... Prop Making

Status
Not open for further replies.

tha finch

Hey guys, new to the 405th!!!
Im just wondering about this halo prop that im trying to create. Its a pepakura halo 3 assault rifle. Ive completed the pepakura stage and its ready for resining, and fibreglassing, but im not sure if i should make it any more rigid first. It has toilet rolls on the inside to increase stength, but this is my first model, and im wondering if this will be stong enough to withstand the resin.
As it is pepakura it is made of cardstock. Im wondering if i should fill the prop with expanding foam to make it rigid before resining it.
Also im wondering if i need to use the fibreglass mat, or can i just resin the prop?
Thanks all!!

Well, I stuffed up my first prop and here's what I learnt:
you DEFINITELY don't want to just resin it, make sure you fill it with something that will make it rigid (rondo is preferred by most people, which is 1 part bondo : 1 part resin) and help keep it's shape. Not sure about the expanding foam - I saw someone who did that with their armour and they applied a little TOO much, to the point where their armour cracked a bit. USe it sparingly methinks.

Just do some searching around other people's weapon builds, I'm sure you'll learn heaps from their experiences :)

I'm in the progress of making a hybrid pep and MDF sniper and I resined the out side of my Recoil suppressor and scope, the next day filled it with expanding foam. Left it for a few days only to find it still liquid at the core, not sure if it was the dry resin or what... tho it was ****.... I recommend you don't use the foam!! Rondo is the best bet, tho trying to work out the ratio with Builder's bog.... slightly tricky!! Living in Australia and all!! ^^

hmmm, so it sounds like the expanding foam is a bad idea...
Thanks guys!!!
So the pepakura model is complete but where do i go from here? Should i attempt to make the inside more rigid, or should i just continue to the resining part?
Also with the resining, is the first step just to resin the pepakura model, let it dry and then fibreglass it? Or do i just fibreglass it first?
I heard something about bondo, what is bondo and where would i be able to find it in Aus?
Thanks for your comments as ive got no clue.

Bondo is a putty commonly used for car body work, filling dents holes etc.... Tho I have yet to find it in Australia, our closest product is Builder's Bog or similar.
I woud start out with a coat of resin then a mixture of resin and bog (rondo). Yet I have used Spray putty for stiffen up a pep model before covering it with bog, tho it was helmet!! ^^ If you used 200 gsm cardstock it should work!!

So what do you mean, inside or outside the pep model? Im guessing you mean resin the outside??? Then rondo it. There is really no way of making the inside anymore rigid than what it is at the moment without cutting the pep model in half - Unless having a mixture to pour into the model.
Also im not sure what gsm cardstock i used. I cant remember and im sure i chucked the packaging away... :(

So can you give me steps on what to do from here?? Like 1st step resin whole model to last step paint etc
Thanks!

So can you give me steps on what to do from here?? Like 1st step resin whole model to last step paint etc

Edit: Forget it, see below why.

1. Resin, at least one layer, more depending on what cardstock you've used. Can be outside or inside, doesn't really matter, but outside is more convenient.
  2. Reinforce. If you want to go the Rondo way, mix it, pour it in, slush it around a bit and use a tool to spread it everywhere. Repeat if neccessary.
  3. Detail work. Carving, filling, sanding, that kind of thing. Some primer will help you see what you're up against.
  4. Prime again and paint.

There are also numerous tutorials on these steps (and some alternative methods), make sure to read them.

I would do the follow:
Resin outside
Cut a hole in a discrete place, like where the barrel or torch will go
Mix up the rondo, make sure you have enough and not to fast hardening if it your first attempt
Add bondo to the outside to smooth it out
Add more bondo if needed again and again until you have the finish you want
Add detail where wanted
Sand,
Sand and more sanding,
The paint to desired colour scheme.

Have a whip around the tutorial stickies, they have a load of info on various methods and find one that you are comfortable attempting.
I still doubt myself when working on something with similar technique!! XD

And as long as it wan't a normal ream of paper, you will have less chance of warping.

Good luck, I hope this helped and post some WIP pics!! ^^

So ventrue, you recommend resining and fibreglassing first, before reinforcing the structure.
I think im sweet with painting, but the fibreglassing part looks to be the hardest! Are you sure you resin and fibreglass the exterior of the model BEFORE you reinforce the interior with bondo/rondo?

Ok thanks guys with all your posts, but one last question, is the bondo/rondo applied to the exterior or interior of the pep model?

1. Resin, at least one layer, more depending on what cardstock you've used. Can be outside or inside, doesn't really matter, but outside is more convenient.

1. Only resin. don't fibreglass the outside or you will lose detail.

That is why you create a thread in the noob forum with Pics!! ^^
    Oh and double posting is usually frowned upon.....

Thanks so much for all your input! Ill proably start with resining the exterior and im guessing later detailing and smoothening with bondo (putty). And then eventually painting. I will probably avoid strengthening the interior of the model, as it is already cardstock, and the resin will make it stronger.

Yeah i might just post pics here - if possible!! - Aparently i need a link to a webpage, to post a pic :( Shame... Dont know how, but there must be something in the stickys about posting pics.
Thanks, and i will be updating - hopefully this page - with pics of the rifle in the next couple of days!!!

Thanks for all your help guys!

So ventrue,

Oh my, sorry. Seems I got a bit confused there, I thought you were building a helmet...

Weapons are a bit more complicated. For what I wrote, you would have to cut the weapon open or build it in sections that are open on one side, manage to resin and glass the pieces without deformations of ANY kind and then put them together :)

Only resin. don't fibreglass the outside or you will lose detail.

My step one had nothing to do with fibreglass.

Ok, thanks!
So i should be able to get away with not strengthening the inside, as it is already cardstock, and has toilet rolls on the inside to increase its rigidity.

So onto resining.....
Should i resin the WHOLE prop at once, or can i take it in steps, ie do one side (wait for it to dry) then the other???
Thanks!

Ok, thanks!
So i should be able to get away with not strengthening the inside, as it is already cardstock, and has toilet rolls on the inside to increase its rigidity.

So onto resining.....
Should i resin the WHOLE prop at once, or can i take it in steps, ie do one side (wait for it to dry) then the other???
Thanks!

I think I've caused even more confusion now :-D

You'll definitely have to reinforce it with more than just resin, or it won't be good for any more than wall mounting. Some people have really done what I said, cut the weapon in half, glasssed both sides and reassembled it, while others use expanding foam or just leave a hole, pour in rondo and slush it around. I am not (yet) an expert on those methods, if I had realised this is about a weapon, I wouldn't have posted at all.

As for your resining question: Yes, you can do it in sections, but I would rather divide it into front and back than left and right. If you're worried about keeping it upright while it cures, you can build yourself a stand from cardboard.

Thanks, that makes it so much clearer!
Ok, i have to reinforce it if i want to use it as a prop...
Since bondo is unavailable in Aus, i might stick to the expanding foam idea and see how that goes...
I doubt it can go seriously wrong!

Also thanks for the resin ideas, will keep those in mind.
I will defintently be referring back to this page when building... :D
If i have anymore questions i will post them here....
Also i will bw uploading progress photos here as i go..
Thanks!!

PB111114.jpg

Starting off...

Attachments

• PB111114.jpg
    PB111114.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 94
Looks good. There seems to be a slight bend right in the middle, you should try getting that out somehow before resining.

Bondo may not be available in Australia, but there are definitely alternatives that are suitable to make Rondo, I've seen other Australians use that technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back