Aer9 Laser Rifle (Fallout 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerKraken

Jr Member
EDIT: This thread details the creation of two builds. The first was a commission on a 4 day deadline for a friend of mine. The second was a commission from Bethesda Softworks to re-create the gun again for display in their offices.

This is the final "V1" (4 day build)

3926985455_9d7cdfc39b_b.jpg

This is the final "V2" (Bethesda's replica)

4407239526_a9d4a341bb_b.jpg

———————————

A friend of mine came to me on August 1st and said he was planning on going to DragonCon as a Vault Dweller from Fallout 3. He wanted a Pip-Boy 3000 and a Laser Rifle done in time for the convention on September 4th.

Of course, that's insane. I told him one or the other, and I could give it about 30 hours total for the build. He picked the AER9 Laser Rifle.

I started by making a blueprint of the gun, based off several screenshots and some images pulled from a modelviewer. I'm going to be repeating this a lot, but since this is a short build, I didn't take as much time with this as I usually do with some blueprints:

3785798551_4f0aeed8c8_b.jpg

In order to save some time, my friend came by my shop one day while I was working on other projects and rough-cut some shapes for me to refine later. Most of this thing is going to me made out of MDF. I gave him the blueprints, some basic ideas of what I needed, and he went to town with the bandsaw:

3821597201_e7c8455c0c_b.jpg

3821597097_b2dc7daf07_b.jpg

This is the main body/barrel of the gun, a box shaped out of 1/2" MDF. The missing chunk is where the "microfusion cell" lives, which is the ammo for this weapon. The rear stock and trigger assembly fits into the channel routed out of the bottom

3821597263_e3c48c95ca_b.jpg

3821597323_bbc9b31413_b.jpg

Here is the microfusion cell - I had a dome-shaped mold from another project that happened to be nearly the correct shape. I pulled 2 copies, epoxied it around some PVC, and voila!

3821597805_f14d3777c9_b.jpg

Rear stock shaved down on the router table, nearly done shaping it

3822404148_0979f312a8_b.jpg

front grip carved from 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF. I'll add the raised sections on later with styrene sheet

3822404048_28f6b70ba7_b.jpg

The under-barrel rod... thing. No idea what this is for, but its made out of different diameters of pine dowels joined together. Didn't have time to lathe something more accurate. I'll fill in the chamfered edges later with apoxie sculpt

3822404264_53d63d74fc_b.jpg

End of day 1, about 8 hours total (not including the schematics)

3821597597_7281a0567c_b.jpg

Stay tuned!

Wow that is awesome! Times like this I wish I had a garage for some of my tools to work on something like this. Very cool and I'm sure the weapon has some nice weight to it using the MDF board material. Look forward to more progress on this.

Update:

Another 10 or so hours into the gun. Starting to look a bit more complete now!

Grip with styrene parts installed. Need to sand these down a bit so they're more uniform and less jagged. Sorry for the fussy shot, took these pics kind of late in the evening

3830518116_cb5d3b679d_b.jpg

Added detail around the front barrel, as well as the lower bar portion. I mocked up the MF Cell eject lever on the side of the gun, which will unfortunately be non-functional. Lever is sitting flush with the body, but it will stand off slightly when glued in on the final assembly. As you can see, I have a lot of seams that need to be filled with some bondo once I get a coat of primer on this thing.

3830518278_a0968cbbf0_b.jpg

3830519090_052961567a_b.jpg

Rear grip shapes attached. They still need some more detail, but that will be contingent on me having the time to do it. Also added the rear casing around the barrel.

3830518846_381b163bae_b.jpg

Pipe on the top was made from 3/8" steel fuel line. Solid bitch to bend this to the right shape

3829723139_7650a32c02_b.jpg

End of day 2:

3830518534_27cf667bc2_b.jpg

This is a big damn gun!

3829723525_69ca2033f4_b.jpg

Yodajammies said:
I'm lovin it.

Any plans to make a kit after completion?

Not a kit of this build - its wildly inaccurate, not square, not centered... The pics make it look a lot better than it actually is. If I do a kit, it won't be off a 30-hour built gun. The problem with having my friend trace the patterns and rough-cut the shapes is that he didn't use a straight edge or a triangle when tracing, so nothing is really perfectly square. In retrospect, I should have double-checked his work but that would have negated the whole idea of "saving time" in the first place. Its just a good thing that the AER9 is a really beat-to-hell weapon in the Fallout universe, so the inaccuracies can easily be hidden with excessive wear and tear.

Even still, I wouldn't like making a kit of a piece that isn't perfect. I really like the design of this thing though, so I'll probably make one for myself once I'm finished with this one. I might make duplicates of that if there's sufficient interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a Hylian shield I see in the background??? :p

How is MDF? I've always wanted to work with it...

How does it compare to something like, sheet acrylic or polycarbonate?

Ronster said:
Is that a Hylian shield I see in the background??? :p

How is MDF? I've always wanted to work with it...

How does it compare to something like, sheet acrylic or polycarbonate?

Heh, yeah. I'm actually remaking that shield - the old one was done largely by just guess work and eyeballing the design. Its pretty off.

MDF is great to work with. Its very easy to sand, cut, and smooth out. Its fairly durable as well, so you can knock it around a bit. Also, since its pretty much just glue and sawdust, there's no grain so you don't have to worry much about chipout. Compared to sheet acrylic or poly, its much easier to sand and a lot more forgiving of mistakes. Its cheap as all hell, which is a big plus. Best part is, all you really need to make something like this with it is some wood glue and clamps. So far, there are only 2 screws in this entire gun, and they're largely ornamental. Everything else is glued with elmer's wood glue and clamped to dry.

It does absorb moisture pretty rapidly though, so don't leave it in a humid garage.

DerKraken said:
MDF is great to work with. Its very easy to sand, cut, and smooth out. Its fairly durable as well, so you can knock it around a bit. Also, since its pretty much just glue and sawdust, there's no grain so you don't have to worry much about chipout. Compared to sheet acrylic or poly, its much easier to sand and a lot more forgiving of mistakes. Its cheap as all hell, which is a big plus. Best part is, all you really need to make something like this with it is some wood glue and clamps. So far, there are only 2 screws in this entire gun, and they're largely ornamental. Everything else is glued with elmer's wood glue and clamped to dry.

It does absorb moisture pretty rapidly though, so don't leave it in a humid garage.

That sounds great!

Can you pick it up at like, a Home Depot or is it by order only...?

Ronster said:
That sounds great!

Can you pick it up at like, a Home Depot or is it by order only...?

Home depot, lumber section. Comes in big sheets (like 8'x 10') and small ones (2'x4') and everything from .25" to .75" thick. I've seen 1" thick, but not at home depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back