Aer9 Laser Rifle (Fallout 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Version 2 is looking really good, even though I thought V1 was really good. :D

NeXXt said:
Excellent work, Harry! Step two is more than good, especially with LEDs!

I made my own :)

DSC01816.jpg

What do you think about technology for small orange texts and marks (left and right sides)? Decals, serigraphy, hand-paint?

I broke my brain, but chose hand-made (dissilient eyes and trembling hands — draw over 50%).

Dude, I agree with him before. You should definitely make your own thread. Your gun is great, it's just that in a way it seems like you're stealing his thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Work continues... The weather here in Georgia has been crap lately - rain every weekend, and its always dark and cold when I get home so its difficult to get a layer of paint on anything.

I've been chasing all the little cracks and uneven areas down with spot putty

4312423553_3473cc5a32_b.jpg

Of course, not going crazy, since this piece will be pretty heavily weathered when its finished. I painted the first one with "hammered" texture paint, but I'd rather avoid having to hide my mistakes with that stuff on this version. I'm looking to shoot it in dull aluminum before weathering.

Finished up the lower grip and glued it onto place on the rifle body

4327076018_6a6914685b_b.jpg

and started with the little fiddly bits around the MF cell. I found a place in town that sells styrene bars in various shapes and sizes, and I've been using a lot of half-round on this build. The stuff on the knob here is 2mm half round!

4327075926_bca8e1191b_b.jpg

Also adding things like seam lines and recesses to the body and barrel portions

4323823437_8dee06d9fa_b.jpg

4328811203_5b2c3ee795_b.jpg

And finally, I did get ONE nice day off yesterday, when our tech guys at my company had to do some repair work on my computer. The sun came out and I was able to give everything a nice, thick coat of primer on my new paint rack. After a few small spot putty clean up sections, we'll be ready for paint (finally!)

4328811117_5c11d7ea92_b.jpg

More details... I'm really looking forward to a simple build after this, like a sword or something. Seems like every time I look at my reference images, there's more things I need to make!

4336843876_259d226863_b.jpg

Awesome+10.

Details=lovely.

Small details=awesome

Both done well(like in your build)= as fun to watch as super mutant's brains on your computer screen(Which is, an awesome feeling.)

I like it. Very much.

JustMe

just me(no one else) said:
as fun to watch as super mutant's brains on your computer screen(Which is, an awesome feeling.)

haha, thanks for the spirited compliment!

Test assembled all the pieces after primer yesterday to check if there are any fitment issues. I made the tolerances a little too close when building everything, as the layers of paint actually make it rather tough to assemble. I'll have to shave down slightly when I do the final build. I'm VERY happy with how its looking though!

4342853638_641014b790_b.jpg

4342853734_fedea7fe50_b.jpg

Last of the detail (countersunk screws) added. A grand total of 0 of these are functional!

4342853832_953e63464c_b.jpg

DerKraken said:
haha, thanks for the spirited compliment!

Test assembled all the pieces after primer yesterday to check if there are any fitment issues. I made the tolerances a little too close when building everything, as the layers of paint actually make it rather tough to assemble. I'll have to shave down slightly when I do the final build. I'm VERY happy with how its looking though!

You should be. Looks amazing.

A little bit of a jump in progress. I got a few nice days in a row and decided to take full advantage of the weather and paint as much as possible in the small window of time I know I'd have before the rain started up again.

I could post a LOT of pics detailing what I did over the past week or so, but I'll just summarize.

First, everything got a coat of silver. This is actually Krylon Chrome paint, with a layer of Krylon Dull Aluminum dusted over top of it. I sprayed the topcoat at a distance which lets the paint particles in the air dry slightly before hitting the surface. This results in a pitted, cast metal texture. The slightly darker shade of the second coat helped this.

4366534785_237cd8ee4f_b.jpg

Then the basecoat went on. The green is Testors Olive Drab Matte. You have to be careful when spraying this stuff. Its a LOT thinner than your standard rattle-can paint and loves to run if you put it on too thick. Yellow parts were hand-painted with Testors model paint. This shot also shows the stippled texture of the silver a little better than the one above.

4369131835_3cc95d2177_b.jpg

After that, everything got a nice coat of matte clear to protect the finish during the weathering process.

A note about the decals: The ones on the MF cell are laserjet water-slide decal paper, and the ones on the barrel are inkjet 5-mil vinyl paper. For the barrel ones, I scanned the side of the gun for the correct color and texture, then laid out the decals in Photoshop. All of the "weathering" on the decals was also done in Photoshop prior to printing them out. You can see a small seam next to them, but only if you're inspecting the gun very closely. The inkjet prints can be damaged by water and sunlight, hence the clearcoat to protect them at this stage.

4376125309_5e6e699a40_b.jpg

After that, assembly!

4376125523_4613d27b0d_b.jpg

4376874100_042138ab07_b.jpg

4376952846_109f0cc1c5_b.jpg

I worked pretty late yesterday on the first couple stages of weathering. Still needs some more color (and better photography) but its looking pretty good so far!

4378218944_937d26cca4_b.jpg

4377468581_cfef6941c5_b.jpg

ohmy.gif
....I don't know what to say DerKraken. I know you have more weathering to do, but this thing turned out fantastic!! Love the light installed on the firing side. And that is a really great tip about getting the stippled look to the silver paint that you were talking about. That could be a very useful tip in all aspects of models, really. Very nice, once again!!

Fallout 3 Weapons look so hard to make but you have succeeded in creating an amazing prop. Awesome Job Dude, how about trying the Fat Man Mini Nuke Launcher :p

Vyronix said:
Awesome Job Dude, how about trying the Fat Man Mini Nuke Launcher :p

eh, all in time... I already have a TON of projects in queue. I'll get back to the Fallout universe soon enough though.

Update: Gun is finished!

4406473913_b54d1e3be0_b.jpg

4406473713_74ee510100_b.jpg

4406482103_ceb6e8f68a_b.jpg

Really happy with the finished result on this one, but I'm looking forward to working on something else for a while. This build ate up a ton of time!

A) Awesome work. *looks at my paper stuff and fells a little out classed*

Makes me want to work on my building skills even more now.

And

2)I didnt know you were on 405th.

Ive been following your Guy-Manuel helmet and never thought to see if you were on 405th.

I don't think this is getting nearly as much attention as it should...

Therefore it should be promoted to the Elite section! :D

Iren00 said:
looks really good dude what would your thoughts be on make a AEP7 laser pistol?

The AEP7 is in my list of "to-do" builds. I have the blueprints done and the body/grip already cut out, but that project has been shelved for the time being due to other deadlines.

Thanks for all the compliments on my work guys, the gun is now proudly hanging in the offices at Bethesda!

For those interested in a scale reference, here's the AER9 next to a 1:1 airsoft M4:

4409294026_0d50691663_b.jpg

You can check out my flickr page for more pics of the finished piece. I have tons of build pics & finished detail images too, but don't wanna spam the forums too much.

4407239972_86e52c6093_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back