Airsoft Odst Loadout

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:

First off, sorry for the infrequency of updates, but money's been tight and I haven't had work in months.

I bought a rubber bayonet and mounted it where WETA did theres:

1003506b.jpg

I also finished the left and right torso armor. As mentioned in the first post, these was made out of a sheet of plastic, an old computer chair mat to be exact. It was cut and heat-bent to shape with sheet metal accents.

1003503.jpg

Then painted ultra flat black and the velcro mounting strip added.

1003505.jpg

At this point, the harness looked like this:

1003504w.jpg

The hip plates were formed using the same method:

1003507y.jpg

1003546q.jpg

The groin plate also was formed this way. It is mounted to the belt with straps taken from road bicycle stirrups.

1003547f.jpg

I mounted the shoulders (and I'm sorry I don't have pics of this) by putting a piece of foam padding between the finished piece and the suit, applying E-6000 glue to both sides of the foam, and squeezing the piece against the suit with rubber bands. Before doing that, however, I applied a coat of truck bedliner to the inside of all my pep pieces. This gives them a nice, rubbermaid-type reinforcement. Strong made stronger.

1003542a.jpg

That's all for now, here's what the suit looks like so far:

update22i.jpg

update23.jpg

Please leave feedback and let me know what you think. Please keep it civil; once again, I'm trying to do this build right. Mods, if there is a problem, please let me know and I will stop updates or take the thread down altogether.

Thanks for looking!

That´s coming out great!

I´ve also deceided to make on of my Suits Airsoft-Proof, cause i never find the Vest that i need.

My Marine Armor is already stable enought and very comfortable, the Helmet must be reinforced a little.

It was the fist Suite, i made with DirectCast on Pepakura and Fiberglasmatts, so it came out very good, i may take Pictures from it today.

I´ve also made the Experience, that Fiberglasmatts and Polyurethan-Resin makes a very strong Shell, tested it with 400fps, no Damage.

I use 2 Layers of Fiberglas and 5 Layers of Urethan, the whole Shell is then about 1cm to 1,5cm strong and a little flexible too.

The Weight is not so heavy like you would imagine, a Helmet weights about 1kg if you do it right.

But beside that, it´s your own Risk to play with it.

I hope your Visor is strong enough!

if youre wondering about visor safety, Sigma LS's method is a good one. A motorcycle visor can survive a high speed crash, it should be able to take on airsoft BBs.

I will be adding 10mm green LEDs to the helm (not canon, I know), and two CPU fans to try and keep the lens from fogging and give me ventilation. If that's not enough to keep me cool, I'l be sure to have a black patrol cap and shooting glasses handy at the field. I'm also adding an inexpensive headset to the helm to provide COMS.

It won´t be enough to keep the Fogging away, trust me, i tryed a great Number of Googles, wich all had Anti-Fog Glasses. And Visors. Booth don´t worked like they should.

I am only using Metall with very little Holes in it, and it works much better that Glasses!

I make my own Googles and Visors also, but befor i use them on Field, i test them.

And if i want go really Safe, i install 2 Layers of it.

Thanks for the replies!

Aaron- I will be using a JP FAMAS. Not the best gun I own, but it'll pass as a BR55 ;)!

About the visor, I plan to vac-form a visor out of .060 lexan. I have rc car bodies made of that material and they stop bbs no problem. The motorcycle visor does not (I tested it). Vac forming the visor will be one of the last things I do, though.

Sisko4- I'm thinking now that instead of using CPU fans, I'll just install a JT goggle fan. It might not help much, but it'll definitely fit better than the CPU fans. I'll probably end up spending most of the game in the patrol cap anyway. I do know what you mean about the mesh goggles though. They're a joy to use, but not completely safe. Most fields around here don't like you wearing them. It'd look weird on an ODST helm anyway.

Sangheili811 said:
Thanks for the replies!

I will be using a JP FAMAS. Not the best gun I own, but it'll pass as a BR55 ;) !

They're a joy to use, but not completely safe. Most fields around here don't like you wearing them. It'd look weird on an ODST helm anyway.

FAMAS is a good Choice, it was my first ASG and i have it still yet and forever.

I am also known as a good Customizer in my Country, what Airsoft Markers belongs.

I modified my FAMAS many Times and customized the Body completly, now i am working on it to give it a unique Design.

Think of it like a Dragon transforms into a Gun.

Gearbox also tuned about 330fps, not much, but its not easy to tune it.

About the Googles, it can be, but only if you make it wrong. My Googles had withstood a Wranch of a Tree, i walked around the Area and hit it, but with Force, like you run into a Door. If i had used the wrong Material, i may have loosed my left Eye.

Googles with Glasses can also break, even the ones from BOLLE ore Viper, if the Distance is too short. I am testing a new Mesh-Metall soon, it looks more stable and safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, that's looking really good. I love your resourceful technique with the computer mat and the waist armor. I may have to borrow that...

What did you cut them with?

Sisko4 said:
FAMAS is a good Choice, it was my first ASG and i have it still yet and forever.

I am also known as a good Customizer in my Country, what Airsoft Markers belongs.

I modified my FAMAS many Times and customized the Body completly, now i am working on it to give it a unique Design.

Think of it like a Dragon transforms into a Gun.

Gearbox also tuned about 330fps, not much, but its not easy to tune it.

Sounds cool, got any pix? I'd like to see.

The problem with the mesh is not that it breaks, but the fact that once in while a bb will shatter on it and the shards will get into your eyes. I have heard that a local guy lost his vision that way. I'm sure the chances of that are small, but I don't want to take any chances with my eyes.

Buckmaster- The helmet will be the next update. Stay tuned!

Tsabo Tsaboc- I cut the mat with metal snips, and cut the belt slits with and angle grinder (which I usually use for auto body).

Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Roadwarrior said:
If you do it right Airsoft bbs wont do anything. The main reason on here people flame this is because of the 9 yr olds that will come on here and and copy it badly and get hurt and there parents sue 405th.

On topic.

Nice build, you might want to mold the helmet and cast in ABS/Rubber thing so it's strong and flexible, but thats me talking out of my arse.

First things first I do not think 9 year olds are allowed to airsoft. And plus who knows if they build their armor correctly. Chances are they could misuse the fiberglass.

DeathOfBlades said:
First things first I do not think 9 year olds are allowed to airsoft. And plus who knows if they build their armor correctly. Chances are they could misuse the fiberglass.

Woah a quote from forever ago,

It was just a scenario that could happen. Some Nine year old's do have Airsoft guns, maybe not good one's, but they do.

My two AEGs are:

JG AUG A2: Barska illuminated 4x32, JBU tightbore, Systema bucking, Element h-nub, Elite 9.6v, 330fps.

KART JAE-100 M14: bone stock except for a Ebaybanned ACOG rds, 400+fps.

Also,

UHC Colt Python: a really fun sidearm ;)!

UPDATE:

Before moving on to the update, and since this is MY thread ( ;) ), I want to post a photoshop I did awhile ago. It's set as my profile picture, but I'm not sure how many people see it there:

odstshooter4.jpg
shooter.jpg

Incidentally, I'm a huge fan of Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger novels. Shooter the movie couldn't compare to those. If anyone's looking for a good read, pick them up!

Anyhow, moving on...

I finished the knees, backed them with bedliner, and painted them:

1003659.jpg

But more importantly, I've almost finished the helmet. I started by spraying three layers of bedliner on the interior to maximize safety, and then started with bondo to fill in the low spots. I could have spent a lot longer on this step than I did, and really made this a work of art, but since it's gonna get shot at anyway, no sense making it too nice:

1003631.jpg

Primer:

1003632r.jpg

And paint. Pics speak louder than words, but I must say I am quite pleased with how this turned out!

1003634n.jpg

1003641.jpg

1003639.jpg

1003642.jpg

The LED light came from Harbor Freight for $2 on sale. It's mounted to a Wally-World rifle scope ring. The ring in turn is mounted to a Weaver rail off an LPEG, bolted to the helmet Mickey-style.

1003640s.jpg

The Ace of Spades was hand painted (by me :D ):

1003638.jpg

Here's a couple shots of what the whole suit looks like. Yes, the chestplate rides a little low, and I could take measures to raise it, but it makes easier to shoulder the rifle. What do you guys think?

1003700j.jpg

1003706k.jpg

Yeah, the suit makes me chicken-wing.....a lot. Whoever designed it did not do so with CQB in mind!

1003708.jpg

1003710.jpg

That's all for this update, and that also pretty much finishes the actual building part of the suit, aside from some small things. From here on out, it's just gonna involve a LOT of $$$-worth of tactical gear. That being said, hopefully next update I will have the helmet visor'd and padded, and have gotten the shins and forearms. Stay tuned, and thanks for looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back