Airsoft Odst Loadout

Status
Not open for further replies.
First and foremost, I have studied and searched, and I understand the problems associated with playing airsoft in armor. I believe I have addressed these concerns, but look though this list to see for yourself:

-Airsoft bbs will destroy armor- I performed a test on a rondo-glassed pep piece, and yes, they can survive. see the thread here: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22194&st=0&p=353637&#entry353637

-Fiberglass armor is hot and doesn't breath, causing heat exhaustion- My plans are to have very few actual pep pieces, just the helmet, shoulders, chestplate, and maybe knees. The rest will be a combination of sports armor and tactical gear.

-Fiberglass is heavy- Once again, I won't be wearing much actual fiberglass, and I'm used to wearing a lot of weight when I airsoft (CIRAS, two leg rigs, elbow and knee pads, boots, M14, etc).

-Fiberglass can break and stab you-Again, the only piece of armor that will hang across my body is the chestplate, and beneath that I'll be wearing motorcycle armor.

-You'll look like a doofus wearing ODST armor to the field-I dissagree. I have seen Half-Life rebel loadouts and Stargate loadouts, so sci-fi loadouts are not unheard of. Even so, I wouldn't wear this to big OPs, just the weekend games where everyone just wants to have some fun.

-If anyone else has any more ways you can get hurt war-gaming in this stuff, let me know.

Now, onto my plans for the suit:

Helmet: I am using the original Halo 3 WETA helm. I chose this for a number of reasons. Partly because it's the classic ODST helm, existing before all the bandwagon ODSTs appeared for the release of H3:ODST (no offense meant to anyone). Also because I don't see the H3:ODSTs as completely canon. In The Cole Protocol, the ODST suit is said to be pressurized, allowing the user to survive in outer space. This would not be possible with the fingerless gloves seen in H3:ODST. Also, ODSTs don't carry sidearms, as referenced in The Cole Protocol.

I will be adding 10mm green LEDs to the helm (not canon, I know), and two CPU fans to try and keep the lens from fogging and give me ventilation. If that's not enough to keep me cool, I'l be sure to have a black patrol cap and shooting glasses handy at the field. I'm also adding an inexpensive headset to the helm to provide COMS.

Chestplate: The chestplate is finished and is immensely sturdy. It will be mounted to an h-harness, which looks something like this (except black):

403_Large.jpg

Beneath that, I'll be wearing Motorcycle body armor (already ordered): .

protector_squre_f.jpg

to which I'll attach my pep shoulders. If the forearm guards don't look up to snuff, I'll swap them for a set of these: http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/riot-sleeves.htm

Torso Armor: The center equipment pouch will be a utility pouch secured to the motorcycle armor. The left and right equipment plates will be pieces of sheet plastic secured to the h-harness straps.

Hip plates: More sheet plastic.

Thigh Armor: I'll use these: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-g...ea-gear-molle-platform-drop-leg-panel-bk.html

Lower leg armor: I plan on using baseball catcher's shin guards with the WETA knees attached. I might also rig some small pouches to these, as well.

350__1_Baseball-20--20catches-20leg-20guard.jpg

Gloves: These: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-gears/gloves-belts/ea-gear-pvc-sport-full-finger-gloves.html

Gun: I'm trying to decide between a WELL MP7 or a JP FAMAS. For the sake of simplicity, I won't be modding either of these to look more like their Halo counterparts, but if any airsofters have thoughts on these two weapons let them be heard. Just don't tell me to buy a TM. I flatly can't afford it.

I believe that covers the armor I'll be using, now on some pics of what I've done so far.

Helmet has been resined inside and out. Rondo is coming next.

1003343e.jpg

Shoulders are almost done, they just need some detail paint work, and I've got some questions about the placard on the left shoulder. I put velcro on the lower shoulder pieces to wear patches the way they currently do in the military.

1003348x.jpg

1003342g.jpg

The chestplate is done. The name on top, Elephant, is my airsoft callsign (and no, I'm not fat). If Dutch can paint a Jolly Rodger on his chestplate, then Elephant can paint an evil smiley-face on his!

1003346a.jpg

I haven't started the knees yet (I am running out of fiberglass).

That's about it for my plans, but I have a few questions. First, the placard on the left shoulder. I know it has your blood type on it, but what do all the other numbers mean? Also, the visor. I tested an HJC visor, and it won't stop bbs. However, if a vac-formed lexan visor is anything like the rc car bodies I have, thenI have a feeling it will. If you are currently vac-forming visors or know someone who is, please let me know. I am ready to pay for a well made ODST visor, but I can't use the classifieds for another 15 posts.

Thanks for reading my long and drawn out plans! With any luck, this build won't die the way so many noob builds do.

Thanks for the replies, I was expecting a much more negative response!

The h-harness I used as a demonstration is this one: http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=403

However, the one I will actually be using is this one, a little more affordable ;): http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ea-gear-lbv-h-harness-suspender-black.html

The shoulders are standard WETA shoulders built using the mud-glassing method.

Just a little reminder, I'm still looking for answers to my Q's in the first post :rolleyes.

If you do it right Airsoft bbs wont do anything. The main reason on here people flame this is because of the 9 yr olds that will come on here and and copy it badly and get hurt and there parents sue 405th.

On topic.

Nice build, you might want to mold the helmet and cast in ABS/Rubber thing so it's strong and flexible, but thats me talking out of my arse.

UPDATE:

I know this is a necro, but I thought that was better than making a new thread. If not, let me know and I will do so next time.

I painted the icons onto the two shoulders. On the info card, I substituted 405 and 811 for WETAs random numbers. I am not sure if I am O+, but my doctor says that's very common, and the only way to know your true bloodtype is to give blood.

1003406b.jpg

1003410.jpg

I also got the pressure suit, JP Famas, and H-harness. I sandwiched the straps between metal brackets and velcro, and bolted those to the chestplate with a layer of felt between.

1003402.jpg

1003401g.jpg

I am also am almost finished rondo-ing the helm. It is very solid; I put it in the middle of my basement floor and walked in a 10' circle around it, shooting it from all sides with one of my AEGs. No damage. But anyway, here's what the kit looks like so far (shoulders aren't attached).

1003412l.jpg

1003413c.jpg

That's my progress so far, I figure I'm about 40% done. Don't count on this being done before spring, though. My truck blew a radiator, and I've had some other mad money expenses. My only problem beside that is I can't find the gray foam locally. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to buy online.

Thanks for looking, and please leave me some feedback (no flaming, my trying to do this build right, if you see a problem PLEASE point it out intelligently).

looks good man i have thought of that but i play to damn rough out there to be using all the armor thought about just the helm idea but anyways i c a famas which is it a TM??and yeah i thik ur armor should hold up where u play and what is ur FPS limits there?

Nice work on that chestplate. I like the way you attached it. It's not a necro if it is YOUR thread. It's a valid update.

Thanks for the replies!

spartan-005- Unfortunately, the Famas is made by JP. It is without a doubt the worst AEG I own. The plastic feels cheap, the screws turn to dust when you unscrew them and strip the threads on the way out, and the aluminum barrel looks like a direct pull from an LPEG. Accuracy stinks. However, the gearbox seems ok, and I love the spring reset button! Everyone is already using MP7s in their ODST suits; I wanted to do something different. I also bought it from the Airsplat boneyard and brought it back to life, so it wasn't very expensive. FPS limits where I play are 400fps with .2s and 20' MEDs. I tested my armor (link in post #1), and it will hold up.

Aaron- I used a mix of fiberglass resin and bondo (called rondo) to harden the pieces. It makes the suit much stronger than using the two compounds individually. I believe there is a rondo tutorial on this site somewhere.

Meleck- Thanks for the feedback!

Looking good! You probably are more in danger of breaking your armor from running into stuff, than the BBs hurting it. Keep the updates coming!

technically aaron, it really depends on you, i know my skin is irritated by it, but my friend got a little on his skin and he said he didnt feel a thing...

Thanks for everyone's replies, I'm very glad you all like it!

Kodorei- Ask and you shall recieve!

1003418.jpg

This is the harness I used. However, I bought mine on Ebay (just search h-harness). The price was right, but it ships form Hong Kong so it took almost 3 weeks to get here.

tarchinoko- I used the WETA pep file for the shoulders, and hardened it with rondo, as I did the rest of the parts

Bobaboo- I plan on wearing a balaclava under the helm. ODST suits are supposed to be pressurized, so I don't want any bare skin showing!

Dusty- Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Go ahead, I'll look forward to seeing it!

Awesomeness- Yeah, I can't do any head-first stuff in this suit, or play as aggresively as I might, but thats OK. Once again, this kit will not go to the big events, just the smaller, more informal games. And you can't go prone in the real Halo games, so art kinda immitates life!

Aaron- The rondo really doesn't bother me. I even got some on my lip once. I rushed to the sink and spit for about 10 minutes straight, but it never really started to burn.

f0xxtr0t09- I see you're a fellow Connecticutian!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back