alternatives to molding rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacacheman

Jr Member
ive been scouring over the forums for days researching mold making materials. there has to be a way to make a flexy mold with something other than $150 2part. its too much money and too easy to screw up. any other types of chemicals, preferably ones i can buy locally that will work? ( i hate waiting for things to be shipped)

Actually, you can use silicone caulk that you can find at hardware stores. It can be used to make a flexible mold, however, is not as good as a real silicone mold. Do not use whit bathtub caulk, it is not the same material.

-tubachris

Check out latex. I do think it's cheaper. And much more flexible. Like, you wouldn't have to do your main mold in parts. It's so flexible it'd just stretch around the whole helm/piece.

Nicktendo said:
Check out latex. I do think it's cheaper. And much more flexible. Like, you wouldn't have to do your main mold in parts. It's so flexible it'd just stretch around the whole helm/piece.

You can't use Latex..Latex is a volcanic rubber, this mean the % of water is really high in comparison to industrial rubber. A Latex mold will shirk because of all the water, so you will not have a working mold.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try hot glue, but if your going to mold with hot plastics as your final piece, then forget it, it will melt or atleast warp from the extreme heat, but there are different ways to mold armor/helmets, so it is possible.

Then again there is always plaster which is cheap and stiff.

if i can just get a reliable release agent. i tried the oil method last night against a resin peice that im trying to duplicate (not recast - just want to make a backup i swear!) anyway, i rubbed oil against part of it and put on a thin layer of the silicone. also tested it against body filler. ill let you know my results tomorrow. and yea, the 2 part molding rubber is cheaper in the long run if your making several molds. but im only interested in one mold right now and it only needs to be good for one cast.

You're going to want to use Silicone, especially if you're going plastics, as Frost said, there's just no freaking way.
Just look around on the net for Molding Silicone. Some Websites offer cheaper prices then others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back