Alternatives to resin/fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enrisan

alright well ive been reading the forums for a few weeks now and have done 2 pep pieces (which i need to redo due to scaling) but i have currently stopped all work on it because i need an alternative to using the resin/fiberglass. i dont like the idea of using toxic stuff like that and i really dont want all the hassle with it, so i was wondering what alternatives i can use to make the pep armor not so weak.
i was thinking maybe using the cardstock like i have been, but maybe layering on cardboard then going with paper mache. or i could just try going with a custom cardboard suit like the others ive seen on the site then paper mache maybe? so im open for any suggestions please!
keep it non-deadly lol, i dont want to get some kind of lung cancer in 10 years and have deformed babies. o_O
-thanks

p.s. heres my two pieces i've done, which you can see are too big.
leftbicep5.jpg

leftarm3.jpg

You could use paper mache, which is weaker and not water proof, or you could use resin and fiberglass which makes the armor waterproof and tough.

AoBfrost said:
You could use paper mache, which is weaker and not water proof, or you could use resin and fiberglass which makes the armor waterproof and tough.

will the paper mache soak up the paper too much and make it all soft and deformed?
i dont really need water proof, its not like im going scuba diving in it. the toughness...eh i could live with one with strength of cardboard or something. will paper mache stick well to cardboard?
im thinkin about using cardstock for the model, then gluing pieces of cardboard, then paper mache i guess. OR i can trace the cardstock onto the cardboard glue them together with the paper on top and folding from there? not sure how that would turn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enrisan said:
will the paper mache soak up the paper too much and make it all soft and deformed?
i dont really need water proof, its not like im going scuba diving in it. the toughness...eh i could live with one with strength of cardboard or something. will paper mache stick well to cardboard?
im thinkin about using cardstock for the model, then gluing pieces of cardboard, then paper mache i guess. OR i can trace the cardstock onto the cardboard glue them together with the paper on top and folding from there? not sure how that would turn out.
I used paper mache and it turned out very well. I made the base out of Cardstock with Pepakura, and I sealed the paper with an all purpose sealing paint (Just brush on craft stuff), then I put on the paper mache. Turned out nicely, some parts were slightly misshapen, but I solved that by building up certain parts with more paper mache, and then sanding out the bumps and cracks. It's cheaper, easier, non-toxic and non-smelly :)

BattleLlama said:
I used paper mache and it turned out very well. I made the base out of Cardstock with Pepakura, and I sealed the paper with an all purpose sealing paint (Just brush on craft stuff), then I put on the paper mache. Turned out nicely, some parts were slightly misshapen, but I solved that by building up certain parts with more paper mache, and then sanding out the bumps and cracks. It's cheaper, easier, non-toxic and non-smelly :)
awesome, thanks. do you have a link to the sealing paint? i dont know what it is.

You could also use resin and fabric in place of fiberglass, which would have a cost savings and easy cleanup, no little itchy fibers laying around :) another advantage would be being able to cut any shape needed, unlike fiberglass that only really likes squares and rectangles.
Here's some inexpensive fabric that can be used in place of 'glass. There is an oderless resin availible but it only comes in quarts so that might end up running a bit of bucks.

i'm currently constructing my ODST armour with cardboard. the helmet looked wierd, so i've done a layer of paper mache. will let you know how it turns out

No, not really, unless you want to sacrifice some water-proofness and stregnth.
Oh yeah, nice size armor.
WE ARE WE ARE BULKY!
I made my scale 24.5.
Yay...

helios said:
i'm currently constructing my ODST armour with cardboard. the helmet looked wierd, so i've done a layer of paper mache. will let you know how it turns out
thanks, ill be waiting to hear your results.

My Helmet Thread
Pictures are in the first post, nearly complete ODST helmet is in the second group. Everything was completely non-toxic until the clearcoat over the brush-on acrylic paint. I've got 2 full paper mache layers on the outside, 2 on the inside, it isn't nearly as strong as fiberglass would be, but it's strong enough for Halloween parties.

Polyfiller/ wall/ all purpose filler.
I'm using that on my helemt as the bulk of the shape,
its versatile enough to add detail with, clean and non toxic :D

Ruze789 said:
My Helmet Thread
Pictures are in the first post, nearly complete ODST helmet is in the second group. Everything was completely non-toxic until the clearcoat over the brush-on acrylic paint. I've got 2 full paper mache layers on the outside, 2 on the inside, it isn't nearly as strong as fiberglass would be, but it's strong enough for Halloween parties.
what process did you do for paper mache, i haven't made it in a long time. did you use long thin strips or bigger pieces?

Enrisan said:
what process did you do for paper mache, i haven't made it in a long time. did you use long thin strips or bigger pieces?

I used a variety of pieces, but the biggest ones I used were about 2" by 3". Kind of have to tear them as you go, some of the details in pep need small pieces to get around the bends. I used just torn newspaper and elmers glue w/water for the mache part, then sanded down some of the bigger folds and creases. Then put a layer of mod podge over the mache (mod podge is a decent sealer), then painted.

I'll be working on my MC helmets tonight, and I'm going to figure out what to use to get a smooth surface. I love working non-toxic, but the strips showing through on paper mache definitely bring the level of quality down a few notches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back