an alternitive to fiberglass resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Rogue is correct, I used the truck bed liner but after using the hot glue method on the inside
I also used bondo spot putty to smooth the helmet before spraying the liner on. If you do use the liner i would recommend using one of those cheap dispoable repirators while spraying.
This liner also gives your helmet a slight texture. It looks like you have little pieces of rock underneath the liner

LastSpartan said:
Go to CanadianTire. They have Duplicolor.
That and I already posted the picture. >__>
I'm going to be using the Crossfire method for my armor this summer. Its a cheaper alternative to fiberglass and resin, plus its somewhat easier to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is sounding very promising. I have to say that I'm a bit hesitant though. I'm not sure that I'll agree with the texture or not. I think I'll wait until I hear some more about this method.

You can sand down the texture, it sands easily as told by crossfire. Or you could spray on some very light, even coats of it.

halo-3-helmet1.jpg

If you look closely, the texture really does match well..

however, sometimes the very smooth look works excellent, such as on WetOkoles helmet..

DSCF2591.JPG

so whatever your preference, there is a way! :)

Zaso117 said:
If you look closely, the texture really does match well..
however, sometimes the very smooth look works excellent, such as on WetOkoles helmet..
so whatever your preference, there is a way! :)

i profer the battle damage look myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where you can get this stuff in the UK? I've looked on ebay and couldn't find it.
I don't suppose aerosols can be bought from abroad with flight security these days.

So, What exactly is the procedure? Glue\resin inside then spray outside with truck bed coating, then your done?
If so this is excellent.

well i just spent the last 9 hours making my test helm for truck bed liner and the stuff doesnt dry solid. it is very flexible and not worht the time. use resin and fibre glass. i used over 7 coats of bed liner and the thing jut ----my helm.

Are you sure you used the right type? Some cure softly, others are just protectants. Crossfire and Fett say they dry solid and are good as reinforcement.

Any pics of your helmet and the liner you used?

When you say as hard as a rock, if I purposely drop this or toss it, will it crack? When I resin and glass my armor, I do several layers to the point it is like a rock.

i used the exact spray in the pic. i even printed it out to be sure and it isnt solid at all i could put a hole through my helm with 1 poke with my finger and thats after 7 coats.now if you want a good idea for reinforcing your armore try this..and you wont believe how good it works, buy old metal coat hangers and make a frame of your pep using the coat hangers and a soldering gun and try to make the frame identical to your helm then go to home depot and buy some 3 inch plastic sheets and use a jig saw and cut out your pieces to fit each section of your wire helm and once you have done that put each piece in the according place where it fits to the wire helm and crazzy glue it all together, then if you have a small blow tortch melt the edges of the helm to round it out.then sand paper and paint. my buddy did it this way and his helm is awesome.he can jump on his helmet and not break it and hes like 230 pounds and FYI anyone that wants a awesome cooling system setup, message me its gunna be the biggest cooling breakthrough for everybodys armore
and cooling problems and it doesnt reqire batteries and weighs less then 1/4 a pound so msg me if u wana order it from me bidding starts now. min bid :40 dollars, and ill be donating 1/3 of what i get for it to the site. so if anyone wants to know what i have msg me, oh and it has a cool effect and cools you down instantly.

The strength of coat hangers shouldnt be able to withstand 230 pounds. I can snap those with 2-3 pounds of force.

ok first off not plastic coat hangers steel ones and the completed helm with coat hanger frame and plastic can hold 250 pounds. you cant even snap that plastic you have to cut it. and no if you drop your truckbed helm it wont crack cause its not heavy enough to pick up enough speed lol its very thin and doesnt work.

omg bump for great justice i forgot all about this, im gonna scrap that fiberglass resin stuff and go for this, it'll save me so much cash, i only got a few bucks left. Will the bondo stay on though, and is it primable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back