an alternitive to fiberglass resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bondo sticks to really anything, and the rough surface this provides is even better. But I would sand down the texture in certain areas before bondo'ing, not everywhere is supposed to be rough looking.

I'm making another HD helm right now, it's almost done, and I just ran out of resin while glassing my new cod piece. Came out an inch or two too big, but it's correct scale, i'm just too skinny for my height. I just cut it in half and over lapped some of the "belt" areas, and it fits fine and works great now.

I'll be at meijers soon, I know they sell this dupli color truck bed spray, not sure how much they sell it for, but I know it'll be cheaper than resin.

Anyone have any idea on how many pieces you can "truck bed" with before you need another can? A can of resin last me 3-4 helmets, or half a suit worth of resin and glassing.

EDIT:

Waste of money. I used the entire can spraying it onto my cod piece, didnt notice it being any stronger, tested it on a AR too several layers, it's just as flimsy as it was before. I bought the same can pictured too, same company. With each can being 8 dollars, and only good for 1-2 pieces of armor, you'll be spending way more money than you would be on fiberglass resin.

Aww... This is majorly disappointing and I was hoping that this stuff could work but from previous posts apparently not..

@masterfett\Crossfire: I Have Questions.
1) What was your procedure?
2) What did you guys possibly do that everyone else didn't?
3) Are you absolutely sure that's the right can?

The way I used it wasnt really to harden the piece. It was just to seal, fill cracks, and add texture.
I used a variation of the hot glue method, Then bondo spot putty to smooth.

masterfett, is there anyway we can get a video of your helmets with the truck bed liner? So we can see how durable it is, or you hitting it/dropping it? I am also interested in this, but so far the people have been saying its a no-go

Crossfire, do you use the same type of liner that frost used, because some liners are thicker, maybe you used a different kind. I still want to try this, but it would have to be the right kind.

that, and you will still have to layer it a ton.

I sprayed only 2 pieces, a AR, and the cod piece, cod piece got 80% of the can and it feels the same as earlier. I was planning to add another layer of fiberglass to it on the inside, but I decided to spray the inside and outside 3 times each, 6 total layers on the cod, feels no different.

A can of resin that cost 10 dollars is much much much cheaper than buying truck bed liner crap that only coats 1-2 pieces. Resin we know works for sure, and thin coats already add plenty of strength, just 1 cost of resin outside, and fiberglass inside is already strong, another layer of glass, and you've got rock solid armor.

@Crossfire:
So.. On your helmet you used hot glue on inside then bondoed and sprayed liner on outside?
would it work on other pieces of armor?

It should work, but be warned, I said the hot glue method shouldnt be used out doors or in hot states like florida or california, the heat is just too immense it will soften the glue. It works great if you live somewhere cool, or stay indoors with the armor for the most part.

AoBfrost said:
It should work, but be warned, I said the hot glue method shouldnt be used out doors or in hot states like florida or california, the heat is just too immense it will soften the glue. It works great if you live somewhere cool, or stay indoors with the armor for the most part.

Thanks, Frost. I might just buy some glue sticks and some liner later and try it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya the truck bed liners a no go and as far as hot glue..i wouldnt bother, just spend the 15 bucks on the resin and fibre glass and if you spent all that time making the pep why go and ruin that work to take the cheap way an risk having to loose another 10 hours out of your life restarting over. fibre glass and resin is the best way to go period.

Not to rip apart my method I invented, but I think the most quality and solid piece will always be made of resin, fiberglass, and bondo. (molded cast are the best of the best, but I'm speaking in terms on pepakura)

Even mud/bondo is used for cast creation, sean and link have made cast this way, they just reinforce the inside with fiberglass and resin.

i used the dupi color same as in the pic. my buddy used hair spray over his pep model it make it hold better so his tape and glue wouldnt let go when he resined it. and i must say it was a good idea cause after he sprayed it in hair spray and let it dry there was no way you can even try to undo any of the seems and the fold flaps looked like they werent even there. so in other words it is a good idea to spray your pep model with hair spray and from what i seen it gives the pep support so your helm or what ever your making wont get lop sided or warped and holds the model very well. so someone give it a try and let me know what u think. any hair spray will work.

i used the mud as a beauty coat to get all the details then layer in the fiberglass....you guys should stay with the glassing to your armor well last longer and hold up when walking around
i know you guys trying to find a cheaper way of doing your armor but sometimes cheaper isnt always better

I have one question.

If you made your pepakura with duct tape or scotch tape will the truckbed liner dissolve it or cause
the model to warp?

fanaticladoomguy said:
I have one question.

If you made your pepakura with duct tape or scotch tape will the truckbed liner dissolve it or cause
the model to warp?

First off, i dont want to be a thread nazi, or a mini-mod(since my post count is disguistingly low) but seriously, if its a question like that, just PM the guy(or gal as the case may be) insted of necro-posting.

As to your question, glue the peices together. i use hot glue(though i've never tried the bedliner-spray method)

Last edited by a moderator:
well, i guess for my armor i will fiberglass, then bondo that, then coat that in the truckbed spray to give it the texture, then paint it for the color? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back