And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it feels big. Also a bit too long. I don't have full range of movement.

Now, I'm going to ask a very stupid question. Flame me if you will :p

So, I'm planning on starting my foam build tomorrow, er today :D. I've got a basic idea of the process:

Step 1: Buy foam
Step 2: Study pep files and decide what I need and what I don't.
Step 3: Print pep
Step 4: Attach any pieces that can be combined to make larger templates
Step 5: Trace onto foam
Step 6: Cut out
Step 7: Assemble
Step 8: Add details
Step 9: Plasti-dip
Step 10: Paint

Now, I've been staring at the pep file for the chest piece of LD MK V. I am having trouble visualizing what I need and what don't. I want to start with the chest piece because its sort of big and chunky. Easier to assemble to me, I guess. However, like I said, I'm having trouble. I read here on the forums to chuck all the pieces that give "thickness" to the pep file. I would love if someone could give me an example of such a component.

Also, in regards to me not knowing how something is supposed fit, here's a pic of the back I just finished. Does it look all right? It looks fine to me.

110809_009.jpg

For that chestplate, did you use the one that has a seperate front and back piece? I'm asking because you mentioned that the back came out about 10% bigger than the front. If so, did you look into making the one that is one full chestplate? A whole chestplate is easier to scale than trying to scale 2 seperate pieces for a chestplate because then you gotta make sure they line up correctly.

The chestplate is the bigger piece. The back fits, chest doesn't.

And are you talking about a pep file that is a backpack and chest piece together? I didn't see one for the MK V.

The chestplate is the bigger piece. The back fits, chest doesn't.

And are you talking about a pep file that is a backpack and chest piece together? I didn't see one for the MK V.
Yes there is one because I have a thread called *The Official* Halo:CE Pepakura Files Thread. :p I have all sorts of files there.

Yes there is one because I have a thread called *The Official* Halo:CE Pepakura Files Thread. :p I have all sorts of files there.

OOOOH! *runs to thread*

I downloaded the 405th pep pack. That was my reference. I'm a derp.

EDIT: FOUND IT! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

EDIT EDIT: So I've gotten started on the real work...

110809_010.jpg

RAGE EDIT: After several hours, lacerations and burns, much cursing and staring at 3D pep files, I have decided to scrap the foam. From what I've seen, the resin/bondo method seems to be more labor intensive, but easier in the long run because you're working directly from the pep. So, there will be much hardware shopping tomorrow.

actually, if you work directly from the pep, you can just make a different unfold of the model using only the needed pieces and none of the thin indent edging pieces. then you can arrange them in a fashion that you are aware of so its eaiser for you. i hope that made sense... But i see that you put all of the pieces together already. i think that even if it looks flat, unless the part is curved, you shouldnt attach them together in the pattern, i think that if you cut an angle on the foam with sissors and glue, it will give much better results. Now even though you may be final over the no foam decision. i think that you should give it a shot its worth the time and effort put into it. and if you use thinner foamies and some lights, it can look as detailed as a pep :D

Well, I've started the pep (again) on the MK V chestpiece that HaloGoddess informed me of. Its coming along very nicely. There will be pictures tomorrow as soon as I finish it. Hopefully it fits.

I pep out each piece before print out foam template so I can see which part I should use or shouldn't and to find out if the scale is right. It's trial and error.

Well, I finished the pep on my torso piece, so here ya go:

110811_003.jpg

There is a cut in the front of the armor to allow my head through. Its sitting weird in the chair. I couldn't figure out how to get it to sit straight. It definitely looks lopsided, huh?
110811_002.jpg

110811_001.jpg

I'm standing at attention here...its hard with this on...Does it look like it fits right?

I've gotten a little further now. I'm going very, very slowly with the helmet. I'm determined not to screw up.

110813_004.jpg

110813_010.jpg

I have a bit more to add to the back of the helmet and the front of the chin.

Make sure to somehow level the two halves of the brim before you harden it. Right now the helmet has kind of a Spock-like pulled-up-eyebrow look :)
But this doesn't look like a big deal, no need to start over or anything ;-)

Yeah, somehow the flap on the front shifted slightly on the right hand (while wearing) brim and pulled it up. Its been fixed, no worries.

Sweet build. I like the chest piece. I was thinking about using the MOZ however I might just check out the one from Halo Godess. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, you can't go wrong with the pep files that HaloGoddess suggested. I love them. Although, depending on your size, you may have to split some patterns to get them to fit on the paper you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back