Another Iron Man pepakura thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. I may have to redo the pep, as it seems that it to small for my head :p.

MxRacer, i don't think i ever got your message. What's up?

So here's is a long overdue update as to where I'm at. It turns out that my initial helmet was too small, so I pepped a new helmet, slight bigger. The increase in size is noticeable in this pic:

1zggn0l.jpg

I have also started on the mark vi chest (robo file).

33jn7e1.jpg

Here are some reinforcement I placed within the helmet and jaw. I experienced some warping and uneveness in my initial attempt at resining and rondo'ing.

29bp7q.jpg

imntpl.jpg

More updates to come soon!

Awesome job on your peps man. Just a suggestion though. You should definitely use more supports other than what came with the file. Measure the opening where you want the support ,get some cardstock and fold it into triangle shapes, glue them together and then glue them across the weak spots of you helmet to make everything more rigid. It takes more time now but you'll save time on the body filler later!

Awesome job on your peps man. Just a suggestion though. You should definitely use more supports other than what came with the file. Measure the opening where you want the support ,get some cardstock and fold it into triangle shapes, glue them together and then glue them across the weak spots of you helmet to make everything more rigid. It takes more time now but you'll save time on the body filler later!

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take that into consideration, as my first helmet (the smaller of the two), warped like hell during the resin/rondo phase.

Great stuff, man. Your pepping is great. This is definately gonna help me when I start my costume next month.

Hey guys. Here's an update on my progress so far.

I have hardened the helmet and currently am at the bondo stage. I opted to go the non toxic route and use Smoothcast 321 and Smoothcast 320. This was my first time using the product. It seemed easier to use than fiberglass resin.

I applied 4 coats of 321 on the outside of the helmet, and one on the inside. I then rotocast layers of 320 in the inside.

Here is the result:
29vl946.jpg

The helmet is very durable. I can drop it a short distance, and it probably would not crack. However, if you do apply plenty of pressure, I can see it doing some damage to the helmet. Otherwise, the helmet feels very sturdy. I have never used fiberglass cloth, so I'm unable to compare the strengths.

Here is a pic of the 320 from the inside:
fq9md.jpg

I started the bondo process today. This is a first for me. I've never worked with bondo. The bondo seemed to start to harden within a couple minutes, maybe about 3. I am applying it to the sides of the helmet, as they are a little uneven. I also want to raise it just a little to match the rear portion of the helmet:
14x2gw6.jpg

And a close up:
2whgob7.jpg

I'll continue to add a few more layers of bondo to build up the surface. I had a few questions though. I do plan to separate the face plate, and the bottom rear portion of the helmet to be able to fit my head inside. Should I cut the pieces out now, or after I finish the bondo work?

Thanks ahead of time. :)

Nice job on the pep of the helmets, they looked great. Even though you said one was warped, it still looked good.

On to the cutting of the faceplate question. When I made mine, I did all my bondo work first and then once I was happy with the way it looked I cut it. This way everything lines up perfectly when put back together, you dont have to worry about an edge being slightly higher or lower than the other due to more bondo on one surface. I made my cuts follow the lines that are in the helmet as details, that way when it was put together it just looked normal and not cut at all. If you want a pic of mine after the cut, let me know and I'll post it.

Looking good, keep up the amazing work.

Nice job on the pep of the helmets, they looked great. Even though you said one was warped, it still looked good.

On to the cutting of the faceplate question. When I made mine, I did all my bondo work first and then once I was happy with the way it looked I cut it. This way everything lines up perfectly when put back together, you dont have to worry about an edge being slightly higher or lower than the other due to more bondo on one surface. I made my cuts follow the lines that are in the helmet as details, that way when it was put together it just looked normal and not cut at all. If you want a pic of mine after the cut, let me know and I'll post it.

Looking good, keep up the amazing work.

Thanks for the tip. If you could post a pic of your helm after the cut, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for the tip. If you could post a pic of your helm after the cut, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

This is where I made my cut. I followed alot of the detail line as you can see and the one cut follows the jaw line underneath almost.
helmcut.jpg

As you can see in this picture, you cant tell I have the helmet cut to make it wearable.
helmon.jpg

Hope this helps you out!

This is where I made my cut. I followed alot of the detail line as you can see and the one cut follows the jaw line underneath almost.
helmcut.jpg

As you can see in this picture, you cant tell I have the helmet cut to make it wearable.
helmon.jpg

Hope this helps you out!

Thanks! the actually helps alot! How did you get the helmet to hold together when wearing it?

nice work dude. I just finished my Iron Man helmet today. How are you connecting them together? cause mine is still in 3 pieces and dont wanna screw up the alignment when I harden the pieces. And I REALLY dont wanan redo the helmet cause it was a B*$#H!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back