Another new guy... seeker01, doing a kid's red spartan costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker01

just introducing myself ;-)
I am middle age dad. I enjoy spending time with my son and playing like a kid... from legos to video games, it gives me a chance to do something fun with him

loving the costume builds and all the advice!
I signed up to make my son a halo 'red' Spartan suit for Halloween, my son seems very geeked about it
I am using foam, basically.
I've already spent dozens of hours trying to figure out what/how to do it

...it's not going to be very accurate, I think it's going to turn-out halo-inspired, lol

I've got the helmet almost done, and started on the shin guards

just introducing myself ;-)
I am middle age dad. I enjoy spending time with my son and playing like a kid... from legos to video games, it gives me a chance to do something fun with him

loving the costume builds and all the advice!
I signed up to make my son a halo 'red' Spartan suit for Halloween, my son seems very geeked about it
I am using foam, basically.
I've already spent dozens of hours trying to figure out what/how to do it

...it's not going to be very accurate, I think it's going to turn-out halo-inspired, lol

I've got the helmet almost done, and started on the shin guards

Welcome to the 405th! do you know what type of armor it is? also foam is my material of choice and is pretty easy to work with. if you need help let me know. p.s do you know what kind of weapon your going to make?

There are plenty of references for suits here and a few templates for foaming in the archives. Just be sure you are looking at the foam temps not the pep ones......Foam temps tend to be less folds, less pages to print and larger pieces overall. Test pieces, get lots of sharp blades, read, read and then read some more/ be patient and don't give up. Ask for help/tips and believe you me, help will come. In droves!!! Post pics so we can see how you are doing and how you are doing it. Everyone loves to hear and learn about new techniques.

thank you!
weapon... right now I m leaning on using the nerf guns he got for Christmas, he got two of them and they are getting a lot of play in the backyard with the rest of the kids (BOOMco HALO Covenant Plasma Type-25 Blaster)
But, I've seen some really slick stuff in youtube using construction/insulation foam. I already feel like I over-committed... lol

templates... I have looked, but have started to eye-ball and make it up as I go to expedite the process. Doing first a cardboard prototype, before committing the knife/foam to the actual armor piece

I know the feeling......I started about 2 months ago on my son's suit......I have gloves and bicep armor......boots have to be redone.........helmet is not finished.......everything else is on the drawing board.........I haev 1 month deadline........

thank you!
weapon... right now I m leaning on using the nerf guns he got for Christmas, he got two of them and they are getting a lot of play in the backyard with the rest of the kids (BOOMco HALO Covenant Plasma Type-25 Blaster)
But, I've seen some really slick stuff in youtube using construction/insulation foam. I already feel like I over-committed... lol

templates... I have looked, but have started to eye-ball and make it up as I go to expedite the process. Doing first a cardboard prototype, before committing the knife/foam to the actual armor piece

using the insulation foam as a first timer is hard. I have better results using cardboard. check out my thread and if you like that sort of stuff ill help you the best i can.

That is a great idea to use your cheaper materials first to get the hang of it. A lesson I have learned too many times. :/ A lot of people have really good luck with freehand foam builds, I hope the same for yours. Don't forget to post pictures after some progress!

And welcome to the 405th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back