Another new year, another new suit

SSGLordBert

Hello one and all! It’s another new year and SSGLordBert is going for another new suit!

With the success of my blue power ranger crossover suit, I’ve come to the conclusion that I REALLY like doing crossovers. As recap, my blue ranger, code name Spartan Ranger Blue, is the blue ranger thrown into the world of halo infinite. Using mostly the mk7 core as a base I splashed things in that made it pop look like a halo power ranger. Now my next project… is going to be slightly more simple.

I’ve decided to mix another thing that I love with my next suit… Dragonball Z. More specifically, vegeta. Vegeta is my dude. So I have the idea to use rakshasa as a full build with the atrius helmet. Have no idea what shoulders or attachments I going to do yet (definitely taking ideas from people), but I already have the concept drawings going and the helmet started. I’m using a flesh tone TPE filament for the neck seal and stuff and then I’ve already custom printed a scouter for the helmet. Here is the concept, I can’t decided between regular super saiyan or super saiyan blue…

IMG_2883.jpeg
IMG_2884.jpeg

Want to keep close as possible to hitting vegeta look on the helmet. I think it’s come along great here. And I’m working on doing full resin printed visors for it. I already have the green one done and tested. After printing I sanded it all the way up to 10,000 grit sand paper and then used crystal clear UV resin to clear up the fog. Then of course hit it with the spazstix.

IMG_2959.jpeg

I’ve also got the scouter printed and ready for paint. I used the standard atrius side pieces and modified a scouter front to it using fusion 360.

IMG_2873.jpeg

So it’s coming along already. If you want to see all my steps in video form, I have actually started a TikTok page showing how I prep and finish helmets. If you want to watch just search me up! Now back to work!

Attachments

• IMG_3274.jpeg
    IMG_3274.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 26
Hello one and all! It’s another new year and SSGLordBert is going for another new suit!

With the success of my blue power ranger crossover suit, I’ve come to the conclusion that I REALLY like doing crossovers. As recap, my blue ranger, code name Spartan Ranger Blue, is the blue ranger thrown into the world of halo infinite. Using mostly the mk7 core as a base I splashed things in that made it pop look like a halo power ranger. Now my next project… is going to be slightly more simple.

I’ve decided to mix another thing that I love with my next suit… Dragonball Z. More specifically, vegeta. Vegeta is my dude. So I have the idea to use rakshasa as a full build with the atrius helmet. Have no idea what shoulders or attachments I going to do yet (definitely taking ideas from people), but I already have the concept drawings going and the helmet started. I’m using a flesh tone TPE filament for the neck seal and stuff and then I’ve already custom printed a scouter for the helmet. Here is the concept, I can’t decided between regular super saiyan or super saiyan blue…

View attachment 342223View attachment 342224

Want to keep close as possible to hitting vegeta look on the helmet. I think it’s come along great here. And I’m working on doing full resin printed visors for it. I already have the green one done and tested. After printing I sanded it all the way up to 10,000 grit sand paper and then used crystal clear UV resin to clear up the fog. Then of course hit it with the spazstix.

View attachment 342226

I’ve also got the scouter printed and ready for paint. I used the standard atrius side pieces and modified a scouter front to it using fusion 360.

View attachment 342225

So it’s coming along already. If you want to see all my steps in video form, I have actually started a TikTok page showing how I prep and finish helmets. If you want to watch just search me up! Now back to work!
That cheek rail actually gave me a super good idea for my in progress build to attach a mandible! Thank you! lol

Hold the phone you PRINTED your visor?!?!?! I had no idea that was possible! How’s the visibility?

Looking forward to seeing this build! I love the idea!

::update 2/24/24::

Let the painting begin! I have gone all in on painting this helmet. All before I even have a full game plan for the rest of the armor. I’ve made some great head way on it to. And my wife even stepped in with a suggestion on giving it that ANIME look. Check out the progress.
IMG_3318.jpeg

So I am making the neck seal on this helmet out of flesh toned TPE filament and I wanted that skin tone to match on the helmet. So I took the piece that I already printed to my located Menards and got a color match sample made to hit the color. They’re only like $5 and the paint goes a long way.
IMG_3319.jpeg

Then I found a good golden yellow to get the super saiyan hair color going too. Got the whole thing covered where needed, and also some of the attachment pieces too.
IMG_3328.jpeg

Then with a different tone yellow from my model paints, I came in and painted some raised areas. Then my wife gave me the idea of outlining sharp edges with a black paint pen to give it that drawn anime look…. Boy she’s amazing.
IMG_3336.jpeg

I think the attachments a perfect representation of what I’m trying to go for on this build. If the rest of this helmet turns out as good as I think those pieces did… then I’ll be super stoked for the end result.

::update 2/28/24::

Helmet progress!! And boy I have to say… I am impressed with myself staying on top of this one. I switched it up a little with my detailing, I used a paint pen to create a manga styling across the edges, as shown in my last upsate, then instead of using just black, I used some greys and whites, even a small gold lining. Check it out.

IMG_3365.jpeg

IMG_3366.jpeg

IMG_3367.jpeg

Now to prep for the LED strings

:update 2/29/24::

Ok ok… I think I have outdone myself on this update! Holy cow. So the LEDs I did turned out way better than I thought.

So, instead of using the two pin LEDs just sparingly across the helmet, I found some really long EL wire. It is basically a solid string of LED. Not like fairy lights, solid. And then EL wire also has a strobing setting which I think will come in handy to look like lightning. This stuff here…
IMG_3381.jpeg

IMG_3382.jpeg

It is also cut to length. I bought a like 12ft roll of it because I was sure how much of it I would use. But I took my fancy little drill by fantix
IMG_3383.jpeg

And I went around and planned a specific path on my helmet where it would go. Following certain detailing paths and more. Fished the wire through and weaved through the top hooks. After I was satisfied I just cut the end and hot glued it down.

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3380.jpeg

I will be going back around the inside of the helmet with gaffer tape to hide the EL wire that is visible that way there isn’t a visible glow inside.

Man, I miss out on so much cool stuff when I don't get time to read forums! I absolutely love the cel shading, it's so much fun to make and see. The hot glue around the light works surprisingly well, because it works in favour of the artstyle with the black outline.

:update:: 3/10/24

Well the helmet is 99% finished. I was able to get the visor and scouter on just in time for planet comic con (which I just got home from). I put it as a display helmet and boy did it kill! The amount of people it drew in to talk to us and learn more about the 405th. I can’t wait to get the rest of the armor done to show off to everyone.

Since I forgot to post before planet, here are the pics of it done!
IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_3399.jpeg
IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3401.jpeg

IMG_3402.jpeg

IMG_3405.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3393.mov
    91.8 MB
::”update”:: 3/16/24

Ok this isn’t really an update per se but more so an input from everyone that reads this. I’m looking for idea on attachments and accessories for this suit. Keep in mind that this is a dbz theme, so I’d like some ideas close to that but stick close to halo as well.

So far in my list of ideas, I have;
-Saiyan monkey tail wrapped in the belt
-dragonball radar for chest attachmwnt
-capsule corp capsules
-Maybe a dragonball?

Any other ideas? I’m drawing blanks here.

As far as the suit goes, I’ve got the chest, shoulders, forearms, and thighs done. So boots and shins and hands are what remain. I’m working really hard to get this somewhat done for c2e2 so that I can have 2 suits on deck. Working hard and diligent.

::update 3/18/24::

Ok. So I’ve been printing like a fiend. Thank god for the speed and quality of the bambu p1s I have or this amount would not be achieved so quickly. My Elegoo max is currently printing gasket rings in TPE for SSGLordElmo so I’m on my Elegoo plus and bambu. But I prevail still!! I’m hitting it hard to try and get stuff going for c2. If it don’t get it done, meh but I’m trying.

IMG_3474.jpeg

cod piece, shins, and boots are all that remain. Just gotta resize them and get them going. I can’t decide though if my actual shoe that I wrap my boot part around should be white or black… hmmm.

And as for the undersuit rig, thanks to the clever thinking of my ex military/airsoft playing friend SSGLordErne i got a molle to act as the undersuit rig and it comes as close to the gold vegeta armor color i could find.
IMG_3470.jpeg

IMG_3469.jpeg

Now to lay out strapping and detailings. Here WE GO!!! Rak rak city!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back