Any advice on how to make an EVA Helmet visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdnHalo

Hey guys I am planning on building an EVA helmet for an Emile costume(Reference picture in my avatar/ profile picture), but before I can get the materials to make it I need to tell my dad the exact method that I plan to use. So far I plan on using this for my guidelines"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WK26NHx0o&NR=1", however since an EVA visor is larger, and curves around the head I have no idea where to start, and because of it I am at a stand still. Any advice or help on the matter will be GREATLY appreciated.

Also something I for got to mention was that I have VERY limited access to tools. but yes a vaccuform would work, and i have thought about that, the thing is, that i don't have one or access to one. But i thank you for replying. :)

In order to make the visor work for the helmet and work for you the best thing I can suggest for you to do is use the pepakura clay method, seperate the visor from the helmet after it has been removed from the paper, sculpt the Emile details into the visor, and then after that all I can suggest is using one of two things you could use clear casting resin (not sure how see through it would be after molding) and mold the visor or you could vac form the visor and use the paint your own visor tutorial to paint the visor with. Use the rest of the clay helmet and make a mold and do that out of casting plastic. Now your visor and helmet should come together perfectly. If you need links to the tutorials e-ail me cylonproject2000@yahoo.com because I may not recheck this topic.

If youre going for emile you could cut out the areas where the eyeholes on the mask were and replace them with sunglass lenses.. of course the vision would lack. The only other way that would look good would be to vac form

step 1, ask BenStreeper!!!

and also, beware the visor is where i got stuck (you NEED a vac former)

1/8 inch sheet of Plexiglas, metal rounded mixing bowl (i used my Kevlar helmet but not everyone has access to one of those) and a heat gun, I don't believe a hair dryer will get hot enough to do the job, put a sheet over the mixing bowl upside down, place a piece of Plexiglas that is cut out the shape of the flat paper visor and get to heating, take it slow and use gloves, it does get very hot, helps if you have two people to try this...the Plexiglas can be purchased at home depot for about $10.00 and they also have bronze mirrored window tint for about $12 that will be enough to do a couple of helmet visors, I got lucky and got a bunch of windows that had Plexiglas in them to use for mine...

1/8 inch sheet of Plexiglas, metal rounded mixing bowl (i used my Kevlar helmet but not everyone has access to one of those) and a heat gun, I don't believe a hair dryer will get hot enough to do the job, put a sheet over the mixing bowl upside down, place a piece of Plexiglas that is cut out the shape of the flat paper visor and get to heating, take it slow and use gloves, it does get very hot, helps if you have two people to try this...the Plexiglas can be purchased at home depot for about $10.00 and they also have bronze mirrored window tint for about $12 that will be enough to do a couple of helmet visors, I got lucky and got a bunch of windows that had Plexiglas in them to use for mine...
yea thats wat im goin to do if i dont find any other way bc my dad does alot wit pexiglass and then i was gonna get tint and airbrush the skull decal thing on the front

dude that would be awesome if they had it in gold lol i wouldnt care if it was or wasnt reflective i would just want to gold color

You should totally get someone to vac form and do a black tint or spray to it! I wanna do that so bad in-game on reach!

For a spray on transparent colour try this http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=81524 there are other colours as well in the transparent line. I use to use the to tint chrome parts on models when I was younger. It's thin enough to run through an air brush.

Yeah, but this seems to be just transparent colour, nothing to be especially used on see-through parts. If you use something like that, you'll have about the vision of a mole when you wear your helmet - more precisely, you'll see where the light is coming from and that's it. And it doesn't really add the mirror-effect neither. Those mirrored visors, as far as I know, are manufactured using galvanisation or vapour. These methods add a really thin, smooth layer to the surface that doesn't diffuse light.
However, I'd be happy to be proven wrong... has anybody tried something like that yet? :)

Well after looking at pics of the helm for a hour last night I think it may be done but it will be incredibly difficult. the problem is the detail in the skull, there is no way to reproduce that and be able to see through it. You can come close by using two different colour visors, A gold one for the outside and cut out the skull and a silver one for the inside. That will give the illusion but not the detail. The only way I can think of to reproduce this is to make the visor a solid non-see through peace, place a pin hole video camera in the chin area and have a view screen mounted on the inside of the helmet. Kind of like Ironman's HUD. Sony in in the proses of making a flexible Tv. This way would be very expensive the camera alone is almost $300.

ok wat i would like to know (im not that good wit camera stuff) is that to hook it up do u just have to have the camera and the lcd or watever screen with a source of power would it work bc if i can find any other way ill just do that

I'm not totally sure to honest I'm looking into this option myself. There will probably be a circuit board that converts the signal for the screen. As soon as I have more info on this I'll post it here.

well i know anthoney lee manged to do it and im gonna try to get ahold of him and see how he did it
heres a video of wat he did wit it its more towards the end

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back