Any Armor Builders In The Seattle Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW Immortalking

Hey Everyone!

Well I'm finally a Senior so that means I have to do a Senior Project! Yeay!

I was thinking of doing a project relating to the Career I want, but I decided if I'm going to be doing that for the rest of my life I might as well do a senior project on something I really want to do and I think making a set of armor would be a good project.

Thing is I have no clue what I'm doing and apparently have to have a mentor for my senior project so I was wondering if there are any experienced armor makers in the Seattle area who could "mentor" me in how to make a set of armor, show me the process, teach me the required skills, etc.

As long as you can Size, Resin, Fiberglass, Bondo and Paint I think you'd count as an "expert" in terms of the mentor requirements.

Thanks,

Peter "MW Immortalking"

Choosing a Field Expert

What Is A Field Advisor?

Each student is required to have a field advisor throughout the course of the project.

A Field Advisor is a community member who is recognized for his or her expertise in one or more of the major components of the student’s culminating project. The Field Advisor provides role modeling, field advice, and/or possible career connections for the student. After the project has ended, the field expert also will be required to complete a Field Advisor Evaluation Form.

A Field Advisor may be someone with whom you consult one time, someone you meet with more than once while you are working on your project, or someone with whom you meet consistently and often through your project. You even may have more that one Field Advisor with whom you worked on your project.

Field Advisors: Supporting Students

Field Advisor Duties

• Must give their permission to be a student’s field advisor as noted in the student’s parent/guardian consent form.

• May help advise the direction of a project as they serve as experts in their field. However, it is not the field advisor’s responsibility to do the project for the student.

• Should be able to help students brainstorm solutions and help with technical aspects when they run into difficulties with their project.

• Should be willing to make themselves available for the agreed upon timeline of meetings. The timeline will be devised by the student and will be approved or amended by the field advisor.

• Are encouraged to attend their student’s Culminating Project Presentation.

• Need to complete the Field Advisor Evaluation Form.

Student/Field Advisor Responsibilities

The senior student is responsible for:

• Securing an appropriate Field Advisor.

• Completing and submitting all required forms.

• Being prepared and punctual for all appointments with Field Advisor.

• Communicating with Field Advisor, as needed, in a timely manner.

• Spending a minimum of 10 contact hours with the Field Advisor.

• Returning final Field Advisor Hours Verification Log.

Filed Advisor qualifications:

• Cannot be a member of the student’s family.

• Must be an adult (at least 21 years of age).

• Must be an expert or professional in the field/area they are advising.

A Senior Project Field Advisor is responsible for:

• Advising and assisting student in the planning and development of his/her Senior Project product.

• Evaluating/grading the student’s completed Senior Project product.

• Returning final Field Advisor Evaluation Form by the date of presentations

Well I am kind of in the seattle area (just a tad north), but I really don't think I can be called an experienced armor maker yet. If you need any tips though I'd be glad to help any way I can.

Thanks!

All I need is someone who can show me how to size the pep, build the pep properly, resin and fiberglass, bondo, and how to not suck at painting. And I guess how to get it wearable.

After that it's just stuff like signing forms saying I worked on it for X mins/hrs.

I took a look at your thread and it looks like you have a good idea of what you're doing!

Congratulations, you're the first on my possible mentor list! XD

Are there any other armor builders around here?

Hey, cool, I'm in the Seattle area too! Unfortunately, I'm not nearly experienced enough to be called anything other than "total newb". D'oh!

i go to seatle for thanksgiving and im pretty experianced but im 11 so i doubt id be able to help much.

because of parents and stuff

Are you sure that your mentor can be hobbyists and not professionals? I too am a senior in the Issaquah/Seattle area, and (At least for our school) you need to shadow a professional.

I know I'm not in the seattle area but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I should be able to answer any questions you may have or point you in the right direction if I can't.

Good Luck :)

As far as I can tell you just need a mentor,

The Sheet talking about the mentor says:

Field Advisor(Mentor):

-Must be at least 21

-Must be an expert or professional in the field/area they are advising.

I'm asking my teacher what exactly the requirements for an "expert" is.

I think someone like slacker would qualify.

As long as you can Size, Resin, Fiberglass, Bondo and Paint I think you'd count as an "expert" in terms of the mentor requirements.

Here's what my teacher said:

If they are knowledgeable about the topic you are studying.

and

Once you decide how you will manufacture your armor (i.e. what it will be made of), that would determine who you would seek out.

accually it depends on how old the person your working with so as i said erlier i'm 11

so if your around that age i could probably help when i come around :)

My best advice would be to find someone with a knowledge of fabrication and sculpting. If I could have done this 10 years ago for my senior project i would have. maybe your schools art teacher knows some people who could help you out. Sorry I cant help I live in lynnwood and spend all my time building the #$^%#$%# 787.

Secret is, no. There's plenty but they build 501st stuff and other things. Galaxy hobby has a monthly meeting in lynwood, mostly models but it's a lot of the same knowledge just a smaller scale. I do know sometimes some prop guys have shown up. I'd say look on the 501st boards and try to hook up with them to tap their knowledge, then use it to make props your interested in.

about sci fan at galaxy hobby, their annual sci fi model contest is this saturday the 26th, i'm bringing my helmet and chest in for display only. theres another guy i know that works in 1:1 scale but he's stuck at boeing like me. you might try coming and asking around, theres people with access to milling machines and vacuum formers, and a lot of people with lots of knowledge. check galaxy hobby's website.

I don't think I'll be starting my project before Halloween, I still need to write up a project proposal for my teacher. So if you gain some experience in the meantime then that's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back