Anyone experienced in making your own Air Compressor/Air Brush?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

So yea I got looking into air brush systems and they are all basically the same thing:
A air compressor designed to take in air and squeeze it into a storage chamber - after filtering moisture out.

SO I got to wondering... those little roadside emergency tire inflation kits - the ones you plug into 12v and are typically loud as heck - but they compress air to flow into your tires... would there be a way to turn one into a working air brush system?

more research shows me that even 'high grade' only have low PSI, while most of those kits have rediculous PSI - so maybe there's a way to regulate that.

Saw a decent looking compressor /air brush kit for $100, on sale for $80. Rated it's 'working' PSI at 58. Saw a cheap emergency air kit for $8, rates 250 PSI... quite a change... still think it's possible.. but what do I know?

Any ideas? Experience?

Here is the little compressor I found at Harbor Freight (omg I am in love with this store!)
http://www.harborfreight.com/interests/boating/12-volt-250-psi-compact-air-compressor-4077.html

It's got reasonably high PSI and no doubt will be quite loud - but I imagine if we find a way to limit the PSI- add a moisture filtration system and regulate the whole thing - it could be much more silent.

There are other models as well, I just used it as the cheapest reference, with different PSI too (some $30 kit has 100PSI)

Go to ebay and search for kustom kolor airbrush and the compressor. decent stuff, not too expensive either.

ab compressers have a different flow rate, alot dif than that compresser above, With airbrushing you def get what you pay for, I use a air compresser from hf, cost about 130 bucks ,comes with a pressure regulator, If your not experienced with an ab youll use low pressure so @ 58 lbs, that compresser is about all youll ever need lol, for an ab anyway, spray guns are different, In short using one of those inflating compressers is a bad idea, even if you had a tank theyd burn up in no time

Ebay searched - $260. Say what now? Lol.

What's so different about that one( Iwata 4298 (K9300) Kustom CS Airbrush Set along with a
Airbrush-Depot TC-20 Air Compressor with 6 Foot Braided Hose) ... and http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html this one from Harbor Freight?

I mean the one listed at Harbor Freight is said to run out of air 'instantly' which could be partial user error or easily remidied with an old empty Propane tank and some cheap parts to give it a reserve tank.

Trying to learn about air brushing in general actually, figured posting about 'making one' would be a good start - for cheap purposes, but am Prepared to dish in some money, seen some fantasticalicious effects done and want to try my hand at it.

Noise isn't really an issue right now either - I can't spray indoors here so it'll be in the garage anyway.

and I believe (maybe?) i can get a better airgun if that's the case on it (don't like the ones that have the paint flow through them - seems to me that would be a hassle to clean and get a new colour)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats crazy. I found the airbrush at $8.99 and compressors start at around 33$. If you are patient enough, Im sure you can find the type I mentioned at a fair price.

Lol those are more reasonable prices, $300 for me to "dip my feet" into this water for seeing if I have the skill/effort seems a bit steep.. I mean... my job doesn't pay THAT well... lol

Theoretically - now iam not saying it'll be the best quality, but for price/testing and gettin a feel, do you think the car/tire inflation kit rigged to a 12v wall wart with a small propane/etc tank and air regulator system would work well (at least long enough to get a feel for air brushing and practice)

I own most of those things already. I'd need a brush, some hose, regulator and etc fittings is all - meaning I could test drive this type of thing with variable results before dishing more.

oh and i found out that HF model has a cruddy moisture trap - corrodes easily and doesn't do it's job well at all.

I suppose 'any' air compressor would work, it's the Tank mainly concerned with - and flow rate of the air - if the compressor can't keep up with the air being used - you simply can't brush when a reserve tank is emptied.

this thought out scientifically by the fact that airbrushes just blow air over a dripstream of paint particles that atomizes in the air to form the spray result. As long as there is a constant flow of air (in PSI) there will be a constant flow of paint (provided you don't run out of paint or clog or something)

So really it comes down to finding a reserve tank, and moisture barriers with a decent air brush for armor painting (lifesize)

I wouldn't try to convert one. Airbrushes are very technical. It's not something you want to rig up.

Airbrushes aren't technical at all...
Air source - compressed air - compressed air is from a motor forcing it into a tank of some sort. Moisture filters are used to remove the droplets that form from hot air (being compressed heats it) moving through the unit and cooling off - causing condinsation within it. The air is connected to regulator(s) to control PSI so you can have light or more heavy spray results, everything connects up to a hand controlled gun.

Honestly.. they are a super simple tool that only seems complex because it's more 'parts' then it used to be, due to piston engines being used for more effective air compression.

What's so complicated about that?

The only thing complicated is making sure you do things safely, having wrong size or PSI rating on anything could cause a dangerous and potientially fatal accident - but then again - no air compressor is 100% safe to begin with.

Airbrushes aren't technical at all...
Air source - compressed air - compressed air is from a motor forcing it into a tank of some sort. Moisture filters are used to remove the droplets that form from hot air (being compressed heats it) moving through the unit and cooling off - causing condinsation within it. The air is connected to regulator(s) to control PSI so you can have light or more heavy spray results, everything connects up to a hand controlled gun.

Honestly.. they are a super simple tool that only seems complex because it's more 'parts' then it used to be, due to piston engines being used for more effective air compression.

What's so complicated about that?

The only thing complicated is making sure you do things safely, having wrong size or PSI rating on anything could cause a dangerous and potientially fatal accident - but then again - no air compressor is 100% safe to begin with.
I mean technical as in touchy.

It's not as simple as "this moves air".

Twelve-volt tire pumps can compress air to a few tens of pounds per square inch, and they have no means by which to store that. Even if you rig a container to it, you need a moisture trap- filters are insufficient, in my experience, you need a full on trap. Beyond that, they're slow at filling air, and aren't rated to high pressure. You'll then need fittings and hoses, as well as a container, all rated to up to 100psi, if you use a cheap vacuum brush.

It's easier and safer to buy a cheap airbrush compressor from Harbor Freight, and a cheap airbrush from a local hobby store. You can find compressors for about $40 on the low end, and brushes can be found as cheap as $10. Why spend time and money jury-rigging a solution when existing solutions are that cheap?

well If you just want to try it, Get the 10.00 ab and a can of compressed air, that is the cheapest, I meant i have an aircompresser with a tank, When your constantly spraying you need air volume, and you only get that with a tank, or an ab compresser which is meant for high flow, I actually have an air brush that was 12.99 on ebay, came frome china dual action( you dont want single action) and its great for general airbrishing, easy to clean too, I also own a master and an Iwata pro, Iwata is worth the investment for detail, plus If you decide you dont like ab anymore you can get most your money back out of the iwata when you go to sell it. Hope this helps Good luck bro!

A good cheap method of AirBrush systems to start out with is to buy a buy a Testors airbrush.

This one is pretty cheap and i have used them before, they are pretty good. Not the best but for beginning not bad.
http://www.testors.com/product/136949/A2203/_/Broad_Stroke_EZ_Airbrush_Set

As for propellant, if your starting out try using a Compressed can to begin with. Its cheap and effective. Just not if you plan on doing many hours of Airbrush work, than it would add up to a big price and you would have been better off with a compressor. To start its pretty good.

If your looking for another great and cheap Airbrush try the Testors aztek. I use the same one basically and i haven't had any problems.http://www.testors.com/product/136949/A4308/_/9-Piece_Resin_Airbrush_Set

Or better yet, the MightyMini complete kit.
http://www.testors.com/product/136949/9169/_/Mighty_Mini_Starter_Airbrush_Set

You don't need a specific airbrush compressor, i use a Husky 3gallon tank and just adjust the PSI to required levels. Works great for tires an Airbeds too lol. A was steal at 75$. If you watch the hardware stores.
http://husky-tool-boxes.cheap2you.us/files/photo/223/m/husky-tool-boxes-b002o15nrs.jpg

I normally don't use or recommend anything from Testors because i have had so many problems with lots of their items but the Airbrushes seem to work quite well.

i bought my airbrush from harbor freight and i just use any old air compressor. lowes sells air compressors for 20 dollars that put out 30 psi and my airbrush was $15 and then i have my really nice 50~60 dollar one.

These compressors are good for air brushing, they have a regulator all ready attached. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky-8-gallon-oil-lubricated-air-compressor/951082 All you need to add is the water trap and your good to go.

Also if your doing say the base coat on your suit you could use one of these http://www.homedepot.ca/product/multi-purpose-gravity-feed-spray-gun/907273 Easy to use and clean you just have to run thinner through it to clean. Makes doing the base coat easier.

The water trap http://www.homedepot.ca/product/air-compressor-filter-1-4-in/902676
Add some air line and for around $200 you have a great system to start with. The bonus is the compressor can be use for other things, like if you bought a brad nailer you can build weapons from wood and all kinds of other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back