What Are Your Pre-Con Rituals?

BansheeRose

I thought I'd make this post as I get ready to leave for a weekend convention tomorrow! What are your pre-convention rituals? Besides gathering my cosplays and prep items, I will always paint my nails and clean my makeup brushes the day before con and within the week before a con I am usually dying my hair a new color. To prep myself mentally, I tend to write or play video games to clear my head. What do you guys like to do in the week before a convention to help you prepare or practice self care?

nah i just shove all the stuff in the 2010 dodge caravan and hit the road. Usually I'm a pretty busy guy so I leave for conventions right after work or school (depending on the time of year). I'll go through my mental checklist about a dozen times, make sure the gps is headed in the right direction, and take off. Leading up to the departure day I'll probably try on the suit once and make repairs, but other than that there's not much to it.

Ooh and something I've learned is important recently, I will analyze the area around the convention center on google maps to find the best places to park, and to become familiar with the general area so I don't get totally lost. I suppose the mental preparation time is the 4 hour drive i usually have to endure to get to any convention. I'm usually just so stoked to go out for the weekend that I neglect any proper self care ritual. It only takes a toll on me when I come back home to my regular life XD

Rare is the time to have a week off before any given convention as a healthcare worker

This year I get that luxury, but my personal go-to prep before any con is to double check all items for cosplay to make sure nothing will be missed. (Very important when dealing with facepaint + makeup for those projects & what can be downsized and used for multiple things.)

Although this year I'm packing 4 costumes in carry-on (for the first time ever), so everything will have to be TSA approved on top of the usual pre-checks.

I'm an intermediate videographer, so camera gets a quality check, batteries charged, and memory cards wiped for new content. The fun part - I spend a lot of time listening to music/CMVs on YT to get inspired prior to a convention. Gaming usually happens the night before if there's time.

I also create a calendar list on my phone to keep track of photoshoots, gatherings, and anything fun worth noting so I don't miss anything. It certainly helps when attending the larger events.
Despite the chaos of these hobbies, they're actually my relaxing time because I'm usually dealing with flights to attend and little time off prior, so there's no true rest for me until I can check-in to a hotel and say that I've made it!

For me, game with buddies, watch a few animes, listen to my chill playlist and touch my armor and props for the heck of it to prepare self for con week(like I have this week)

For me, game with buddies, watch a few animes, listen to my chill playlist and touch my armor and props for the heck of it to prepare self for con week(like I have this week)
I pose with my props in front of a mirror constantly while getting packed, really gets me pumped up!

> What do you guys like to do in the week before a convention

Slam energy drinks while staying up to 0200hrs every night doing last minute things that I swore I would do earlier and keep promising myself -
"Next time no more con crunch"
Broooo, that's a lot! I've gotten to the point that wherever I'm at on Wednesday is where I stop so I have all day Thursday to clean, pack, and sleep. Makes me feel old, but it works for me. Maybe someday you'll be able to skip the con crunch :)

I am DESPRATELY trying to avoid con crunch for later this year, but I just know the siren song will lure me back
It always seems to find a way to keep us coming back for more! I definitely had to drop the "need a new cosplay for ever convention" mentality a while ago but I still try to keep up with new props and keeping my current cosplays looking presentable :) I wish you luck!!

> Maybe someday you'll be able to skip the con crunch

Where's the fun in that?
hahahaha
There's fun in having enough energy for the convention lmao! I mean, I used to be able to con crunch like a mad man, light work, no reaction! But now I have to give up on props because I can't have them ready by the time I need them :cry: But question! What quantifies "con crunch" does it have to be the week before a con or can it include a longer time period? Because I made my gravity hammer in the month before a convention from start to finish but I stopped the Wednesday before the weekend of the con so I'm not sure if that counts.

> What quantifies "con crunch" does it have to be the week before a con or can it include a longer time period?

I think that's one of those things where if you ask 20 people, you'll get 20 right yet different answers.

To me... Its when you start sacrificing your normal life for con prep and start feeling anxious about if you can finish on time. Might be a week. Might be a month depending on the scope of work and time remaining. But when you do nothing but eat, job, less than normal sleep pattern, and then con prep all your remaining awake hours... I think that qualifies.

if I'm not con crunching I'm making sure I have everything I need for the con, then double checking, then triple checking, always bring repair materials as well. I don't really have any rituals but if anyone has any fun ones I might start. Usually eat a little less as well, hydrate more than usual since ill be sweating a ton.

One I'm doing right now is recharge the power banks for my helmet fans. Don't need my visor fogging up on me lol. Also I absolutely get distracted and try on bits of my armor in the mirror as I'm packing.

Usually I wash my makeup brushes, pack every non-armored clothing item in a bag, and write a to-do list. I always include everything on that list, and I start making it up to a month before the con. I charge my helmet fan batteries, create the repair kit, and make sure that my car is cleaned out / filled with gas. I wish i had time to chill out (working on it), but I plan too much. I will go to the store and grab plenty of snacks and breakfast stuff too. Mentally, I try to stay chill and get at least 6 hours of sleep before a con.

> What quantifies "con crunch" does it have to be the week before a con or can it include a longer time period?

I think that's one of those things where if you ask 20 people, you'll get 20 right yet different answers.

To me... Its when you start sacrificing your normal life for con prep and start feeling anxious about if you can finish on time. Might be a week. Might be a month depending on the scope of work and time remaining. But when you do nothing but eat, job, less than normal sleep pattern, and then con prep all your remaining awake hours... I think that qualifies.
That's understandable. I remember the worst crunch I ever did was for my Kylo Ren cosplay for a 501st troop. I had woken up at 2am to be a handler on the first day, had to go to work, left work early after asking a manager, worked on my cosplay to have it done enough by 8:30pm, had to get up at 2am again the next day and go to work afterwards. I do not recommend it...

One I'm doing right now is recharge the power banks for my helmet fans. Don't need my visor fogging up on me lol. Also I absolutely get distracted and try on bits of my armor in the mirror as I'm packing.
I've been getting distracted by my Lady Rhea shield lately because it lights up so I just stand in the mirror for a while turning it on and off over and over lol. How long does a charge on the power banks usually last?

Usually I wash my makeup brushes, pack every non-armored clothing item in a bag, and write a to-do list. I always include everything on that list, and I start making it up to a month before the con. I charge my helmet fan batteries, create the repair kit, and make sure that my car is cleaned out / filled with gas. I wish i had time to chill out (working on it), but I plan too much. I will go to the store and grab plenty of snacks and breakfast stuff too. Mentally, I try to stay chill and get at least 6 hours of sleep before a con.
I feel this! The list making, the snack runs, cleaning out my car, there's just so much that has to be done that even if you aren't con crunching with a cosplay last minute you're still exhausted having to do all the preparation. I'm thinking of making a master list for all my cosplays and my essentials because I keep rewriting them for each convention, but I still like to create a convention schedule so I end up actually doing all the things I want to do.

My pre and post con rituals go a bit together. If I've been working on a new build I may or may not get into crunch mode.

If no new costume is in the works I will
- Take out my costume(s) and write in a notebook any repairs or touchups that still need to be done
- Put on costume(s) and note any adjustments needed for fit
- Make final adjustments, repairs, touchups, etc.

For any trip
- Compare what's in my repair kit vs a list I keep of what I want in there and refill anything getting low or missing
- Charge battery packs
- Start planning meals and/or groceries to bring with me
- Clean car
- Depending on the timing take my car in for an oil change and general maintenance

Then post con
- Especially on new suits write down in my notebook annoyances I had wearing the costume
- Ideate solutions for those annoyances
- Develop a plan for making adjustments
- Air out my armor and case
- Wash anything that can be washed
- Pack it up and store

This thread is more than 8 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back