Apartment safe Alternative to Bondo/Fiberglassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip Bernadotte

I'm currently enlisted in the military and live inside the barracks. For those who don't know, its practically apartments. Therefore, I do not have the space and open/well ventilated areas needed to conduct fiberglassing and bondo-ing.

So, my question is, is there any other method out there, that produces a plastic or hard coating for armor/props? Thats safe to make in my current living arrangements?

Thanks!
-Pip Bernadotte

The Resin isn't horrible to do inside. You really really really need a mask though and put down cardboard. And you can coat the inside of your pepped pieces with smooth cast 300 (There are some good vids of those on youtube). In both cases, it's "better" if you can do them outside, but so long as you don't mind the lingering smells and wearing a mask (Which is a must anyways) that will work better for you than the bondo and fiberglass by themselves.

Well that, or this new foam method everyone is doing might be great, I just have zero idea what that is yet

aqua resin would be right up your ally way less toxic and you don't have to wear a mask. works well. i have not been able to find any local places which sell it and ended up ordering it on-line. alternative to bondo? that is a tough one. not much out there with the qualities of the bondo other than the bondo. i have used light weight Spackle before on rc and and used it on armor in small places in place of bondo putty. works well for small touch up. dry time takes forever (overnight) and sanding is easy. after sanding have to seal it with a resin type material due to it is water base. start with the aqua resin. i have lived in the barracks myself and understand. the aqua resin would be my choice for resin and then bondo. you can do that outside in common areas with little problems and the dry time is usually 15 to 20 min depending on the weather. recommend doing all sanding outside. you will end up with a dust filled room and dust in and on everything.

I'm currently enlisted in the military and live inside the barracks. For those who don't know, its practically apartments. Therefore, I do not have the space and open/well ventilated areas needed to conduct fiberglassing and bondo-ing.

So, my question is, is there any other method out there, that produces a plastic or hard coating for armor/props? Thats safe to make in my current living arrangements?

Well, I'm using my resin inside, but I can seal off part of my place to keep it contained for the day or two it takes and it STILL is quite annoying. If you can't do that, (polyester) resin is out of the question.

You could look into epoxy resin. That stuff has a different risk profile.

I am planning on using Smooth-On's Smooth-Cast 320 for hardening my pepped helmet and then slush casting it with Foam-It 10. Smooth-On's products are non-toxic in their final form but you still want ventilation and a respirator with them because the hardener has harmful vapors.

I am also currently looking into Foam Coat for building armor with the foam mats from Harbor Freight/Big Lots. This is supposed to give a hard, smooth, sandable surface to foam material. Also, 100% non-toxic and cleans up with water. Your post just gave me the idea to try it on a pepped model to see how that works too.

aqua resin would be right up your ally way less toxic and you don't have to wear a mask. works well. i have not been able to find any local places which sell it and ended up ordering it on-line. alternative to bondo? that is a tough one. not much out there with the qualities of the bondo other than the bondo. i have used light weight Spackle before on rc and and used it on armor in small places in place of bondo putty. works well for small touch up. dry time takes forever (overnight) and sanding is easy. after sanding have to seal it with a resin type material due to it is water base. start with the aqua resin. i have lived in the barracks myself and understand. the aqua resin would be my choice for resin and then bondo. you can do that outside in common areas with little problems and the dry time is usually 15 to 20 min depending on the weather. recommend doing all sanding outside. you will end up with a dust filled room and dust in and on everything.

Aqua Resin sounds perfect then, is there a tutorial on how to use it? Its great to hear this from one who lived the barracks before. Thanks!

check out this video on aqua resin. part 1 of a 2 part video. it goes over aqua resin mixing and applying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back