Aqua Resin, Non-toxic Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some hot glue can seal those holes! and then some resin over it. Otherwise, ignoring it, and bondo'ing over it will work too.

AoBfrost said:
Some hot glue can seal those holes! and then some resin over it. Otherwise, ignoring it, and bondo'ing over it will work too.

@rach:Yeah the fiberglass makes me cry too... but that's because I got some in my damn forearm and thumbs last night even with gloves and long sleeves :( It's HARD AS A ROCK now.

Frost: Hehehe well I have 2 ideas, one is hot glue, the other is Model Magic. yes the Crayola stuff(stop making those faces), but someone managed to make a pretty awesome Priss Asagari's hardsuit from BGC with it, so maaaaaybe it can do a good patch job too :D But seriously I can't think of any other way that I could have finished without your Hot Glue method :D

Last edited by a moderator:
gaaah fiberglass in your arm! i think ill wear 2 pairs of gloves when i glass mine. its good to hear how awsome this A.R. has been turning out! i might just have to beg my parents for a trip to the city soon......hee hee....

rachciav said:
gaaah fiberglass in your arm! i think ill wear 2 pairs of gloves when i glass mine. its good to hear how awsome this A.R. has been turning out! i might just have to beg my parents for a trip to the city soon......hee hee....
Make sure to call ahead to TCS, this place sells out of A.R. fast

Skullcandy Girl said:
Make sure to call ahead to TCS, this place sells out of A.R. fast
Hey Skullcandy, do you know off hand whether you can call ahead to reserve an order? I'm going to be in the city not this weekend, but next(22nd). I just want to make sure I can get ahold of this stuff while I'm there instead of sending away for it. If you don't know, no biggy, I'll just call in and find out then.
-Magnum

23Magnum said:
Hey Skullcandy, do you know off hand whether you can call ahead to reserve an order? I'm going to be in the city not this weekend, but next(22nd). I just want to make sure I can get ahold of this stuff while I'm there instead of sending away for it. If you don't know, no biggy, I'll just call in and find out then.
-Magnum

Hmmmm... well I dont' know off hand, I do know the day I went they had set stuff aside for people that called ahead. You could ask if you can do a pick-up

Starting to become a business woman eh SC? :p

I wish I had gallons of this stuff, all I have is a quart of resin that is frozen from cold temperature, not sure if it will still work ok when unfrozen.

AoBfrost said:
Starting to become a business woman eh SC? :p

I wish I had gallons of this stuff, all I have is a quart of resin that is frozen from cold temperature, not sure if it will still work ok when unfrozen.

Hahahah yeah, I'm the A.R. spokesperson XP Hah frozen??? Geez! Well maybe if I can get my range of tests done ya can give it a try??? :) You know you want tooooooo!

I have to do it outside, I dont own a respirator actually, so I have to resin on a day with some light wind, and multiple shirts over my nose, still not safe, but I'm alive.

I constantly move and look at the direction the wind blows so I dont inhale the resin fumes, usually I dont smell it, it's when I leave my pieces in the garage for the week to lose the smell, the garage smells like pure resin all week.

AoBfrost said:
I have to do it outside, I dont own a respirator actually, so I have to resin on a day with some light wind, and multiple shirts over my nose, still not safe, but I'm alive.

I constantly move and look at the direction the wind blows so I dont inhale the resin fumes, usually I dont smell it, it's when I leave my pieces in the garage for the week to lose the smell, the garage smells like pure resin all week.

frost arnt you the one that always like get this kind of respirator not to nag

Spartan 051 said:
frost arnt you the one that always like get this kind of respirator not to nag
hmm, someone told me about this thread when I was asking about alternatives to resin/fiberglass because I don't want to work with toxic stuff. I think I'm considering using this aqua resin stuff, but I'm a complete noob (which is why I can only post in the noob forum) so I'm kind of confused on how to work with this. Once you guys finish testing, would you be so kind to make a noob tutorial for people like me? Everything from what to get exactly and how to apply this to pep armor.

I'm sure you just brush it on like normal resin, but it is non toxic, ask skull candy, there may be preparation and such, only she and sean I think right now are using it.

Also, yes I do nag people to buy a respirator, not everyone works outside, or in a large open area, so they will need them, even I need one, but just havent bought one yet due to being a penny pincher on my last suit.

Enrisan said:
hmm, someone told me about this thread when I was asking about alternatives to resin/fiberglass because I don't want to work with toxic stuff. I think I'm considering using this aqua resin stuff, but I'm a complete noob (which is why I can only post in the noob forum) so I'm kind of confused on how to work with this. Once you guys finish testing, would you be so kind to make a noob tutorial for people like me? Everything from what to get exactly and how to apply this to pep armor.

@ Enri: Yeah this thread is meant for our testing and research, I or Sean will probably make some kind of official thread since it's the mods discretion what gets stickied. And not to worry, I'm a noob to all things props armor/costume making, so don't feel bad :) I also can't/don't want to work with toxic stuff, so if I can get similar results it's worth trying something different. I'm about to start the initial application of thicker Bondo-Like Aqua Resin, perhaps sometime this week. THough I may need to call the supplier to order more A.R. as this will use up all my powder. You do brush it on like other resins and you run a less risk of messing up brushes, so you can resuse them and you can use bare plastic cups to mix this in.

@ AOB: yeah I was gonna say AOB has seemed to always work outside, so his potential of tumorous death is a lot less than someone who goes "I just resined in my closed up family room, I feel sick".

well i've got some hopefull news for my UK brethern, i have contacted a company in my local area as to supplying
AR and they are going to contact the company for further info. I have advised them if they can get it i can confirm there will be plenty of orders for it, anyone from the UK interested send me a PM so i can give them a rough count of the kind of orders they would need to cater for.

keep the updates coming SC i can't wait to get this stuff to test it out, but will need to wait for update for UK supplier

raven2751 said:
well i've got some hopefull news for my UK brethern, i have contacted a company in my local area as to supplying
AR and they are going to contact the company for further info. I have advised them if they can get it i can confirm there will be plenty of orders for it, anyone from the UK interested send me a PM so i can give them a rough count of the kind of orders they would need to cater for.
keep the updates coming SC i can't wait to get this stuff to test it out, but will need to wait for update for UK supplier
You Bet Raven, I'll keep doing my tests :) All is looking well for this stuff :D

Xavier said:
luvvvv the Cons!!
Whut?

thanks skullcandy! I barely finished putting together my first pep helm. I guess I'll get to work on other pieces then wait for a tutorial thread or something to get made k? Then hopefully I can figure out how to work with aqua resin and be able to buy some, I live in California and that place is in NY I think. Also, goodluck with the testing!!! Give us noobs/toxic free people a hero! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back