Aqua Resin, Non-toxic Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get that megatub of powder back to the train, try a wheeled basket, the type that looks like a tall rectangle basket on wheels that you can tow behind you then you could get more stuff too :)

Oh good suggestion Jar, the only thing is subway stairs aren't easiest thing to traverse with any kind of basket, thanks though :) The 4lb tub is working out pretty well though :)

You should get your BF and a friend of his to help you lug it back. Apparently, that's one of the few reasons guys are useful. As I remember, the nearest train station isn't that far from their shop.

Sorry if I sould a little grumpy. I'm a little upset at the moment. :cry:

Hahahah dont worry about it bro. I'm pretty independent, I can't get my BF to come into Manhattan that often and I think it's kinda mean to make him come to just lug this heavy stuff around the city. The subway is a block away, but like I said before, it's the stairs and being considerate of the other people on the train XP

Cheer up :D

Skullcandy Girl said:
Hahahah dont worry about it bro. I'm pretty independent, I can't get my BF to come into Manhattan that often and I think it's kinda mean to make him come to just lug this heavy stuff around the city. The subway is a block away, but like I said before, it's the stairs and being considerate of the other people on the train XP

Cheer up :D
HAHA, that cheered me up... :lol:

But, I see your point.

Last edited by a moderator:
i should be getting into the city the weekend after next. so ill get as much as i can carry back, along with wood scraps from the architecture wood shop. that sould be fun :/

ok i know, i know this is a double post, but its been a while so it dosent count. anyway...i finally got some aqua resin! and the thinnest fiberglass they had. (i didnt want warping :/) so i jst wanted to know, before i opened this up, do i need a respirator? cause it said so on the label.....or is it safe to just do it out side. it said that the dust, or fumes from the liquid part are dangerous...should i just use a dust mask? i dont want to end up in the hospital.

rachciav said:
ok i know, i know this is a double post, but its been a while so it dosent count. anyway...i finally got some aqua resin! and the thinnest fiberglass they had. (i didnt want warping :/) so i jst wanted to know, before i opened this up, do i need a respirator? cause it said so on the label.....or is it safe to just do it out side. it said that the dust, or fumes from the liquid part are dangerous...should i just use a dust mask? i dont want to end up in the hospital.

You need to at least use a dust mask when using the powder or have the powder container open(I wear my respirator). Other than that you should be ok. Just be sure when you use the fiberglass veil you don't pull it apart when it's dry. And use nice sharp scissors when ya cut it. Other than that you should be ok :)

awsome, thanks i should get some glass in done this today, after i watch the lost episode i missed. and pics will be posted here!

sorry for the lack of update. life got in the way. but i did manage to get some fiberglassing done!

and here are the pics to prove it!

resinedarmor001.jpg

hand plates. i resined in a piece of elastic as an extra security measure. im not sure i can trust velcro alone.

resinedarmor002.jpg

energy sword. im not going to make a blade for this, its just going o be mounted on my thigh as a side arm.

resinedarmor004.jpg

i patched the holes up with some fiberglass....

resinedarmor005.jpg

spartan shoe! this was the only thing i actualy fiberglassed. because it started to get dark.

resinedarmor008.jpg

i had some problems with the fiberglass. once it was cured, it seemed like it needed a second coat of resin

because a lot of the stands were exposed. and got imbeded in my fingers....:(/sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

DSC03464.jpg

then i forgot the brush in the resin until the next day... :/

this was my first attempt at fiberglassing, so im still getting the power to liquid ration down.

rachciav said:
resinedarmor003.jpg

assault rifle. i kinda rushed the pep stage of this...
hey how did my foot get in there?

Nice work! Btw.. Do you have a ring on your foot? :\

And how easily does aqua resin sand? Looks... Powder'y?

Awesome stuff though! :)

Loookin' good Rach :D You made a lot of progress :D hahaha I love the pic of the brush in the resin, it's a nice photo too!

A.R. does sand a bit powdery smilie, and same rules for Bondo apply, add it in little patches, sand, little patch, sand. I screw up my helmet but slaterhing to bunch of the stuff on and I have a hot mess of a helmet to clean up XD

Skullcandy Girl said:
Loookin' good Rach You made a lot of progress

hahaha I love the pic of the brush in the resin, it's a nice photo too!

A.R. does sand a bit powdery smilie, and same rules for Bondo apply, add it in little patches, sand, little patch, sand. I screw up my helmet but slaterhing to bunch of the stuff on and I have a hot mess of a helmet to clean up XD

thanks, yea i totaly forgot about that brush, then i went to check how my armor cured and was like oh crap!

good thing it wasnt expensive.....or mine.....

i tried to sand a little on the energy sword handle it is quite powdery. and i used the brush in resin thingy for a damage test. after whacking it against my patio i found that it is very strong and comes off in chunks when it breaks.

with aquaresin i did not need to use bondo.
aquaresin can make a NON TOXIC thick putty-like substance that you can use instead of bondo. ill post pictures later... but after doing the standard 3 to 1 ratio a couple of coats and after i finished the fiberglassing, i just took a cup full of powder and like poured just enough liquid part in it to make a thick doughy type consistancy. its impossible to mess up the ratio, just get it to the consistency you want it but remember with more powder it dries a bit faster.

after the aqua resin set i just sanded it with a 70 grit sandpaper and then used spackle to fill in the little dents in the bondo. Be prestty generous with the amount of spackle you put on it cuz you can always sand it down.....
a1020420-200-vinyl_spackle.jpg

after applying the spackle you'd want to sand it with like a 300grit sandpaper.

that stuff dries softer than the aqua resin so its easier to sand. its been pretty easy smoothing out the surfaces of pep models with spackle. It is also water based like aqua resin so its easy to clean up too.

hey just wondering, cause i did some more fiberglassing today.
how thickly do you guys apply this stuff. my assault rifle doesnt seem all that rock hard. it still has some give to it. even with a few coats. is it just that im not using enough powder to liquid? or is that just how it cures.

rachciav said:
hey just wondering, cause i did some more fiberglassing today.
how thickly do you guys apply this stuff. my assault rifle doesnt seem all that rock hard. it still has some give to it. even with a few coats. is it just that im not using enough powder to liquid? or is that just how it cures.

have you fiberglassed it yet? i only do like 2 layers of the veil stuff and it got pretty hard...
you definitely want it to be pretty stiff before you start layering on the thick stuff to give it shape...

there were some parts of my helmet that were still kinda flexible and when i coated it with the super thick layer of resin the resin cracked and chipped right off... so i recommend one or 2 layers of fiberglass.

PS by the thick stuff i mean a REALLY thick mixture of aqua resin.. like.... a whole cup of powder and maybe a shotglass of liquid... it should be like a toothpaste thickness...

just take a cup of resin powder and add liquid until you get it right.

well so far i did two coats of resin all over, and one layer of veil on the inside. i dont plan on adding the thick stuff until
i get this fiberglassing stage down.

Oh yes yes, what Ed said!

Oh and Ed welcome to 405th :D Hahah my Mom grew up on South Street! L.E.S. has a DOPE noodle shop and Orchard and Staton :D SOOOOOO happy to see another NYC forger who's also an artist *squeeeeeeee*

Skullcandy Girl said:
L.E.S. has a DOPE noodle shop and Orchard and Staton

what? i dont think ive ever seen a noodle place there..... ZOZO's this BOMB ass burger joint was on the corner of orchard and stanton but it jsut CLOSED DOWN!! i was ready to hara kiri in the middle of the street.

DUDE have you had ippudo yet? its like this japanese ramen chain that came over recently
http://www.ippudo.com/ny/
its like usually an hour wait to get tables and ramen is 12$ with 2$ extra noodles...
but seriosuly their akamaru ramen is like...the best thing i have ever tasted in my entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back