Aqua Resin, Non-toxic Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this is a bit of a necro but I have a question about AR and figured this would be the place for it.

I'm finishing up pepping my helmet (FS's HD helmet) and am going to be getting ready for AR soon. Early in this thread I saw a lot of suggestions to use Frost's hot glue method to reinforce the structure before applying resin to prevent warping and was wondering what process would allow me to then fiberglass the inside. Does AR adhere to hot glue or would I have to hot glue cardstock in after the hot glue layers to be able to then apply the AR/fiberglass?

Using the hot glue for reinforcement sounds very appealing to me since it would be a quick, easy way to add structure but I'm wondering if using this method would limit my options further down the road. Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm just getting started with this.

Thanks,

Brian

Shouldn't need the hot glue if you apply thin layers starting on the inside. Alternate putting thin layers on the outside and inside, after a few layers on both sides, then you can start adding the fiberglass strips on the inside. This method worked well for my recon helmet.

Great, thanks. I guess I'll just load up the inside with cardstock supports so it holds its shape through the first couple layers.

I saw that some people were experimenting with muslin cloth. I am looking for an alternative to fiber glass, and muslin sounds like it might be worthwhile to look into. IS the type used for resin reinforcement the same type you can buy at JoAnns fabric store? Or is it a special kind?

Hurtwm said:
I saw that some people were experimenting with muslin cloth. I am looking for an alternative to fiber glass, and muslin sounds like it might be worthwhile to look into. IS the type used for resin reinforcement the same type you can buy at JoAnns fabric store? Or is it a special kind?

As far as I know it's the normal muslin cloth which comes in various weights from very light to quite heavy so take your pick :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back