Armor Cost and Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seno Ypsamee

Alright noobs, listen up! Just kidding, we are all equal here, as long as you try :)

Anyways, I have noticed a lot of "What is easier/best/cheapest way to make my armor?" Well look no further as I plan to fully explain (hopefully) what you need to know before building armor, so here we go.

People may say that molded armor is the best way to go, do not listen to these people. Saying molded armor is best is like saying Coca-Cola is better than Pepsi, while I may say it's true, someone else may not. What I am trying to get through here is that everyone has different opinions on things, one person may like molding armor while another just loves the cutting and folding of Pepakura. It is all up to what you like to do and what kind of experience you have. Now let's move on, shall we?

Cardboard Armor:

By far the cheapest and possibly the easiest to make, but the weakest as well. You can most likely get all the cardboard you need for free, but if not it really isn't too expensive. You will also need some kind of adhesive rather it be tape or glue. You may want to paint it, so spray paint may also be added to this list. Also, if you want to do like I did ant first and use the Pepakura to guide you through, you'll need a printer, some ink, and regular paper (card stock is not required for this process, although more power to you if you want to use it instead, it is easier to cut, too). You'll need something to cut with, an X-acto knife preferably, but a normal pocket knife or scissors can be used, but a decrease in quality will probably occur.

Let's see here, Cardboard: Free, Glue/Tape: you can get it at your local Dollar Store for a buck a roll/bottle, may need 2-3 rolls, around $2-$3, Spray Paint: another item that can be bought at the Dollar Store, may need 3-4 cans, so I say $3-$4, X-acto: Wal-Mart, about $4, Paper/Printer/Ink: I'm going to say you will most likely already have this.

In total, the cheapest you can make it out is around $9-$12, but the more you need/better the quality of items you want will increase price.

Pepakura Armor:

Pepakura is a great program, shows you where to cut and fold, and it allows you to scale the pieces for a better fit. Although Pepakura is great, it will set you back a bit. In the middle on price and quality, Pepakura is based mainly on paper, and thicker paper is needed, 110 lb. card stock to be exact. You may be able to get by with 65 lb., but don't count on it. You'll also need some kind of non-dissolving glue, or you're entire project will fall, literally. You'll also need that trusty X-acto knife here as well. You will also need resin and hardener, as well as fiberglass (see this thread for more details on what kind of resin/fiberglass, and how to use it), unless, of course, you are doing AoBfrost's Hot Glue Method, which can be found here. You will also probably want to get some Bondo for some detailing (optional), and spray paint for some painting.

Alright, so that's 110 lb. Card Stock: I paid about $17 for my ream of 250 sheets, Hot Glue: get a pack of 20-30 for about $3 at CVS (they also have a Hot Glue gun for about $5 if you don't already have one), I'd say about 2-3 packs, unless using AoBfrost's Hot Glue Method, which more will be required, Resin/Fiberglass/Hardener: Resin, I'd say a gallon just to be safe; about $52, could be less/more depending on store, Fiberglass sheets, 2 yds. of 5.6 oz. cloth (about 36" wide) around $15, you may need more (from "Resining & Fibre Glassing Tutorial/How To" thread, which is linked above), Hardener, about $6 per tube, but again, you may need more, X-acto: Again, Wal-Mart, about $4, Spray Paint: Dollar Store, $1 a can, may need 3-4, so $3-$4.

In total, you may manage to get out at about $105, but if you do want to use some Bondo for detailing, throw in an extra $24 for a gallon of the putty.

Molded Armor:

Ahh yes, the kind of armor Nightmare Studios Armor makes, the strongest out there, but also the most expensive. You will need the molds of course, some clay, silicon, plastic, all that good stuff (see this thread for where to find some of this stuff).

Alright, Molds: meh, you may have to make them then again you may be able to find them, Clay: You'll need about 40 lbs., around $120, Resin: Again, around $52 for a gallon, Fiberglass Mat: Again, around $6 for 2 yds. of 5.6 oz. cloth, Silicon: This is what will break you. Around 4 gallons will cost you about $600. Spray Paint: Dollar Store, about $1 per can, may need about 4 cans, so $4.

Alright, so about $782, Bondo again add about $24 for a gallon if you plan on using it.

Pepakura armor is probably the easiest to make, requiring less skill (but still, you need some) and it makes armor that may stand up to an airsoft war if made properly. Cardboard will be about the same as Pep armor, unless you are going freely, in which tons of skill may be needed. Molded armor, well, let's just say if you have never worked with the materials, do not go with molded armor, you will most likely spend way more than $700 for the cheapest armor, but if you can do it, it could stand up to a paintball war, but why destroy that nice armor after spending all that money on it?

This may not be the most perfect explanation, but it should help at least a little nonetheless :). Have fun, and remember, it's about the enjoyment and fun of making armor, not for the rubbing it into your friend's faces because you have awesome MJOLNIR armor and they don't! :p

(*NOTE: The prices above are meant for a estimate of the CHEAPEST armor possible, and your armor will most likely cost more, so no getting mad at me when it does cost more.)

You will also need an undersuit, just find a company you like and buy a suit that will fit you, might get a cheap one for around $30-$40 :)

Thanks for reading this, and hopefully it helps everyone who are asking some of these questions out!

Master_Chief_13 said:
This needs to be stickied :) although I would change the final price for the pep .armor to maybe 175-200$
As I said, it's about the cheapest total, and it will most likely be more :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Master_Chief_13 said:
ok LOL :lol: by the way it was very well written and will be very useful forr them noobs :D
Thanks, I tried to make it as legible and free of errors as possible :D

I'd suggest a better title. Something like.. "How much does this cost?", "Armoring Costs", etc.
Mind if I rework this and put it on the wiki? blegh, fuggedaboudit.

Vrogy said:
I'd suggest a better title. Something like.. "How much does this cost?", "Armoring Costs", etc.
Mind if I rework this and put it on the wiki?
Sure, go ahead! :proud: :p

And that's all I could think of at the time, I'll change it really quick :)

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
Well, it isn't as popular as the above ones, and I totally forgot about vacuum formed, XD
lol its ok, I was only wondering cause I'm interested in learning more about it.

Molded armor depending on how you make it can cost more than 700 dollars, buying the silicon and plastics alone can cost over 1000-1500 for a entire suit.

AoBfrost said:
Molded armor depending on how you make it can cost more than 700 dollars, buying the silicon and plastics alone can cost over 1000-1500 for a entire suit.
Again, depending on where the materials are purchased, it will end up costing more than my estimate ;)

Around 40 gallons will cost you about $500

One gallon of silicon will cost $166.64 so 40 gallons would cost $6665.60 and if you meant to put 4 gallons it would still cost $666.56. Also you forgot to include the plastic in your estimate which costs $76.41 a gallon.

Ph4de said:
One gallon of silicon will cost $166.64 so 40 gallons would cost $6665.60 and if you meant to put 4 gallons it would still cost $666.56.
Ahh, I did mean 4 gallons, thanks for saying so, and again, it WILL cost more than what I said, I was estimating ;)

I also left out the undersuit, but that is pretty easy, about $40 too...

And dont forget resale value, and several coats of paint so it last, and dont forget man hours of work put into the suit.

AoBfrost said:
And dont forget resale value, and several coats of paint so it last, and dont forget man hours of work put into the suit.
Okay, okay, okay, so I didn't include everything, I want the new members to at least attempt armor, I don't want them to know that they will not have a life for teh duration of building the armor :p

lionheart912 said:
What about Vacuum-formed?

Thank You....

Oven $300.00 54"X54"X18" 220
Table $150
Pump $1200 10 CFP 25 to 30 in of mercury

Molds Plaster Cheep and fast
Wood Cheep need skill
Steel med cost hard to make at first

Plastic .060 to .090 $30.00 4X8 sheet

Plastic for visor $35.00 Sheet

One 10 hr day to pull a MC kit. out of 5 sheet

+ paint Tac Vest and strapping

Ask if you need more info

Rob said:
Thank You....

Oven $300.00 54"X54"X18" 220
Table $150
Pump $1200 10 CFP 25 to 30 in of mercury

Molds Plaster Cheep and fast
Wood Cheep need skill
Steel med cost hard to make at first

Plastic .060 to .090 $30.00 4X8 sheet

Plastic for visor $35.00 Sheet

One 10 hr day to pull a MC kit. out of 5 sheet

+ paint Tac Vest and strapping

Ask if you need more info

Thanks for that, rob, I honestly know nothing about vac-forming, so this really helps those interested :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back