Armor for my Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsPrim

Hi all, Thank you to all those who have made this site what it is. I have been reading in the background for a while now.
Halo is not a game that I've played I'm more of a Fallout fan girl but my children are just mad about this game.

I have a few hobbies under my belt but I've never made a suit of armour.
All three of my children would like to dress as the Master Chief so I'm going to give it a go.

THE PLAN - Make 3 x Mark Vl suit's of armour in children's sizes (and maybe 1 for Dad)
TIME - 1 year for the lot. Not to sure how I'll do but we'll see.

The aim is to make our local con (Troipcon in Cairns, Queensland, Australia) about this time next year (2016). This year our youngest went as Gohan and I went as Chi Chi, so I'm not afraid to get dressed up with the children.

Being realistic about what I will achieve for me is important. Since I do not have great knowledge about the detail and since I am making these suites of armour for children I don't believe it's totally worth all the time going into too much detail.

I have already played around with a few hand plate patterns from the Pepakura Designer and have found that to be great.
So far I have collected card-stock and PVA glue and all the other bit I think I'll need but I still haven't decided which Mark Vl pattern to use.

If you have armoured children before or know of a good thread please let me know, thank you.
Oh and I have read Robotchiken's thread and I just don't think I could come close to that level of detail.

Thank you for reading and any help along the way.

Start with the low def files of any variant you want. I also would suggest foam since it it is durable and much less time consuming for a starter project. Once you cut your teeth on the scale and process the best thing for me was to make a measurement of each piece as I go and give room for growth. Kids grow alot in one year so good idea to make sure you leave place in armor that can be modified.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Thank you Ryno 666.

I found the thread on foam building helpful as well as Spacemeats youtube clips.
The list of Australian terms etc is great.

We are now setting up space to work outside and gathering the new items for foam building.

MsPrim,

From what I've seen from others, especially since you're building 3, yes foam would be the way to go as RYNO said.

That said, as a fellow "building a suit for my children but its my first time" person, I am going down the route of doing everything with pepakura and cardstock for my 8yr old and making all the mistakes that go with it, and posting about it like a nut so this may be handy, or not:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=44842

Hi mux213, I have already been reading your thread and look forward to seeing your little girl in her armour.

I have 2 boys and 1 girl but I'll end up with 3 Master Chief's.

So I have started with Gravity Hammer.
Thank you to Spacemeat for the youtube clips of how to and Daniel Gray for the Gravity Hammer pepakura pattern.

I have scaled the Hammer down a fare bit so it's more child size.

This is my first go, I started with the blade had to redone on part and while it's not great I am surprised at how fast it came together.
I may yet redo the whole blade before putting the whole hammer together once my technique has improved.

halo hammar.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back