Starting my first armor

Renius31

Hello everyone,
I don't know exactly where each post should be placed, I hope this is the correct one.

My new printer arrived yesterday and I am currently calibrating it, an Elegoo Neptune 3 Max, as soon as I finish calibrating I will start printing an EOD Helmet along with a MARK VII, I also hope at some point to model my own armor pieces, since Currently there are few to my taste.

I hope to update my progress regularly, any comments are always welcomed and thank you very much for reading

1706789322519.png

1706789342398.png

So, i just got so lucky, becouse the printer that i bought ( the one in de picture from above ) was not the one that i first ordered, it took it so long to arrive that I contacted customer service and they sent me another one, but the original still arrived... so now I have 2.

With the production doubled I have already finished 40% of the healmet and yesterday I was sanding and preparing the pieces for painting, I have also bought an anti-dust mask for my health, since I didn't have one, they are coming out very smooth, I hope I don't screw up time to paint and have to repeat a piece.

photo1707211271.jpeg
photo1707167338.jpeg

Last edited:
2 printers for the price of 1, you're a lucky man!
I don't know your bed size but it looks like you might be able to print the armour in less pieces. That should make it easier for cleaning seams and such down the line.

I'll be curious to see how your build progresses,
best of luck!

2 printers for the price of 1, you're a lucky man!
I don't know your bed size but it looks like you might be able to print the armour in less pieces. That should make it easier for cleaning seams and such down the line.

I'll be curious to see how your build progresses,
best of luck!
Thx! its a Neptune 3 Max it has a 420x420x500 printable sice, i bought it specifically for printing armors

Oh that's awesome, you can easily fit a full helmet and then some on that print bed! What are you using to size the armour and what slicer are you using?
For the helmet I used a model of a head with average dimensions and used a failed impression to adjust it even more, I still have to see how I adjust the armor for the body, I am using OrcaSlicer, at the moment it is fantastic, although I can't say much either since I have not used almost any other

For the helmet I used a model of a head with average dimensions and used a failed impression to adjust it even more, I still have to see how I adjust the armor for the body, I am using OrcaSlicer, at the moment it is fantastic, although I can't say much either since I have not used almost any other
For scaling I would absolutely recommend getting a tool called Armorsmith, It's a program that allows you to make an avatar of your body with measurements so you can just load the armour onto the avatar and adjust as needed. I've found it invaluable for my 3d printed build.

I haven't heard of OrcaSlicer but from a few minutes of research is seems to be similar to PrusaSlicer. I'd recommend that you download a few slicers and see what you find it best personally. I'm a Prusa man myself but that's mostly preference for micro adjustments.

For scaling I would absolutely recommend getting a tool called Armorsmith, It's a program that allows you to make an avatar of your body with measurements so you can just load the armour onto the avatar and adjust as needed. I've found it invaluable for my 3d printed build.

I haven't heard of OrcaSlicer but from a few minutes of research is seems to be similar to PrusaSlicer. I'd recommend that you download a few slicers and see what you find it best personally. I'm a Prusa man myself but that's mostly preference for micro adjustments.
Although the scaling application looks very good, I don't feel like spending almost €50 on it, although I will probably end up doing it... agggg so many expenses

Although the scaling application looks very good, I don't feel like spending almost €50 on it, although I will probably end up doing it... agggg so many expenses
I would recommend it just so that you can save time and make scaling more accurate. Of course things can be scaled the old fashioned way but it will take longer.

Also it's €37 on the Armorsmith website?

I get the feeling of expenses piling up, it's an occupational hazard :lol:. Armorsmith is a one-time purchase at least though.

I would recommend it just so that you can save time and make scaling more accurate. Of course things can be scaled the old fashioned way but it will take longer.

Also it's €37 on the Armorsmith website?

I get the feeling of expenses piling up, it's an occupational hazard :lol:. Armorsmith is a one-time purchase at least though.
i wish it was 37, ill buy it when i finish the healmet, in a while ill post some pics of the progress
imagen_2024-02-06_163509869.png

Quick update, I just finished a can of filler and ordered a new one, I also sanded three more pieces, a minute ago I received the spries to paint, I will do it tomorrow since I have no light in the garage and I run off of the LEDs on the printers.

photo1707246320.jpeg

So, i just got so lucky, becouse the printer that i bought ( the one in de picture from above ) was not the one that i first ordered, it took it so long to arrive that I contacted customer service and they sent me another one, but the original still arrived... so now I have 2.

With the production doubled I have already finished 40% of the healmet and yesterday I was sanding and preparing the pieces for painting, I have also bought an anti-dust mask for my health, since I didn't have one, they are coming out very smooth, I hope I don't screw up time to paint and have to repeat a piece.

View attachment 341653View attachment 341654
Dude you got two printers? Double the efficiency. You have been blessed my friend. Print out the armor in one and the guns in another. Why are you doing two separate helmets?

Dude you got two printers? Double the efficiency. You have been blessed my friend. Print out the armor in one and the guns in another. Why are you doing two separate helmets?
Its just one healmet, but since i just got them im still teasting them, for example i just got a 8h print failed, and i preafer doing the healmet in parts than in just one piece since i think in that wey i can paint them easly.

Its just one healmet, but since i just got them im still teasting them, for example i just got a 8h print failed, and i preafer doing the healmet in parts than in just one piece since i think in that wey i can paint them easly.
Ah ok, that makes a lot more sense man. For some reason I thought you were printing out 2 separate helmets lol. I mean it's still nice, no lie

What color looks best? I think the second since I don't want to abuse red, although I will change the gray tones.
I would love to know your opinion.
Extra updates, the power went out in the house and I have two other failed photos, at least it was only after an hour or two of starting the printing

imagen_2024-02-07_174716620.png
imagen_2024-02-07_174728467.png

A lot of progress has been made, I only need two more prints to have all the main pieces, then I will make two side accessories and one front, in the end I will paint the helmet red mainly, joining with the details of the second image of the previous post.

I don't know if anyone knows this, but after polishing, should I put another layer of filler and then the paint itself, or after polishing, put the paint directly?

photo1707418134 (2).jpeg
photo1707418134 (1).jpeg
photo1707418134.jpeg

If there’s some exposed plastic or bondo, I like to do a layer of regular primer (not filler primer) to make sure the paint has a nice even-coloured base to go over.

What color looks best? I think the second since I don't want to abuse red, although I will change the gray tones.
I would love to know your opinion.
Extra updates, the power went out in the house and I have two other failed photos, at least it was only after an hour or two of starting the printing

View attachment 341740View attachment 341741
I’m always partial to more colour so my vote goes to red, but if you like the subtlety then def go for grey! They both look good

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back