Armor for use in airsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan carr

Hey everyone!

I am very much a noob at this type of thing and would like to see if I could get any advice. I am wanting to make a set of armor for myself but for more actual rough usage instead of only for show. I play airsoft in a good size community and I am looking to put some a "special forces" twist on my outfit. My first idea was to base an armor set off of the halo reach or halo 3 armor. I think that it would need to be made out of like heavy plastic or light metal since we are kind of rough when playing.

I have access to almost anything that I would need to do with metal (welders, plasma cutters and tables) everything except molding material. I have never done anything with plastic before though and it looks like it would be a much lighter, easier and more realistic looking option.

Anyway, I wanted to base it off the halo armor but make it open so that I could modify it for actual use with airsoft equipment.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Well, I'll start off by saying the community doesn't like when people try to make airsoft/paintball armour. Even though you might not get hurt, it's just safer for the board to not encourage it.

However, as far as I know no one's made a metal suit for airsoft yet. Metal would be good, but even plastic I think would be a bit too brittle as far as airsoft and paintball goes. It's not just the BB's/paintballs to worry about, it's mostly running around and beating up your armour that'll ruin it.

Either way, good luck, I'd love to see it done!

Ok, right now I just play in a military style uniform so this is not at all really for protection but rather for the looks factor. So please everyone don't think about the "hurt" factor since I won't be damaging myself anymore then in my current situation :)

Anyway, I wanted to do the whole metal thing and have been looking around a lot on the fourms but I am really unsure how to go about it. I could do something like what they do with the paper except using metal as a base and welding everything together but the problem is the smooth outside part. I figured with a mold of some sort I could try and put like hard plastic over it or something but don't know how that would work out.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! If anyone else has tips or anything please let me know! Again, this is not for protection but for looks. I am just trying to think of a way to make a suit that will stand up against the running, crawling and such without just tearing up.

Well, I'll start off by saying the community doesn't like when people try to make airsoft/paintball armour. Even though you might not get hurt, it's just safer for the board to not encourage it.

However, as far as I know no one's made a metal suit for airsoft yet. Metal would be good, but even plastic I think would be a bit too brittle as far as airsoft and paintball goes. It's not just the BB's/paintballs to worry about, it's mostly running around and beating up your armour that'll ruin it.

Either way, good luck, I'd love to see it done!

I would have to agree. And BTW I didnt tell you this if anyone asks... buti did use my bondo and fiberglass to see what could keep from breaking. The main concern for your safety would be yours eyes, mouth, and any other area a bb could enter through. But for the helmet i would either add many layers of fiberglass on the inside with the addition of a layer of rondo, or using just rondo on the entire inside with many layers. But DO NOT wear it before testing it. A motorcycle visor should work for your visor too.

Yes, I planned to wear another later of eye protection underneath this or really making sure it holds up. In airsoft we have status on how strong something needs to be so I know all about eye protection. Airsoft bbs do have less penetrating power then paintballs so we don't need as strong of stuff but its much better to be safe then have it fail on you!

Thanks for everything!

Some guys use window screen in the fiberglass or rondo stage to add another layer of reinforcement, that way if it breaks it will still hold it's shape making repairs easier. If your going to use metal to make the outfit you can still get it smooth with a grinder. The only problem with metal is the weight. So you would have to use aluminum which means Tig welding. A sand bag and some automotive body tools like body hammers,wedges other shaping tools you can get the shapes you need.

That also brings up a good idea; use metal for the parts that'll get beat up the most (shoulders, helmet, knees) and use plastic or something less expensive, lighter and easier than metal.

You may have all of that stuff to work with metal, but I highly doubt that you will get this thing off the ground. Many of us(including me at one time) wanted to make a suit of armor tp use in paintball/airsoft, but when people told me about the risks and the possible destruction of my suit, I just let that dream fade away.

You may have a full metal suit, but the metal will weigh you down, not to mention you will cook in there. A bad fall while in the suit may cause injury.

If you want to have a special forces type of suit, this isn't the way to go. Many airsoft places have items that can both give you real protection as well as comfort and ease of mobility.

We make costumes, not armor. If you end up getting a serious injury because you don't want to feel the sting of bb's, then that's you problem.

-Pony

The reason that you won't find much (if anything) on this topic is that the 405th doesn't endorse, recommend, or otherwise support discussions of this application. Airsoft and paintball can both be inherently dangerous and since the armor we make and use here is not designed for protective use, any discussion in that direction can open the 405th up to a potential liability issue in the event that someone is injured because they used some information they found here in a manner in which it was not intended.

These threads are generally locked immediately - sorry...

Ya buddy no metal will work you have to have a metals background a huge blast furnace $$$$$$$ or win the lottery and clay steel or aluminum casting is unreasonably expensive and hard try it. because the equipment and supplies are hard to purchase if yuour not in the industry and know where you can find them and a blast furnace will run you about 1,000 for the size you need and the cost, so much, why? and an allumionum foundry cost $700 also so take your pic money or deal with pain of airsoft.

we make cotumuse not armor just like ACDCrockr209 said you'll get hurt your not in the metal working industry and have accses dont try it.

Well, I am in the metal working industry so I know all about this. I also work with the government so I understand Operation Risk Management and hazards and everything to a very great extent.

I may switch from going the metal route to a heavy duty plastic type route due some more recent things I have been reading but mainly due to the weight and complexity of making smooth outer layers with metal. It only really has to match up to like the grade of plastic that we use in the stocks and such of our rifles so it is definitally possible (I think).

Don't think about this as protection because it is really NOT this is just like the costumes that everyone makes except heavy duty to stand up against the activity (I don't mind getting shot so the purpose here is all for looks). I will still have all the protection and everything that is required to play the game. Also, I am not looking for people to condone this or "approve" the idea I just want to get ideas for how to make a little heavier duty suite. Again, I am basically looking at building a costume that will stand up to some rough use. I think I need to just upgrade from what everyone is using and take a little bit thicker or higher quality stuff.

If this kind of discussion does not belong on here then feel free to move it or take it off and I can look at it from a different angle or just building a costume that is heavy duty. I do understand about not condoning things that could cause injury (since I work with the Gov, and Military then I run into this type of thing all the time).

Obviously, I am still a noob at actually making armor so I have lots to learn and I want to thank everyone for all their comments!

Hey, quick question for someone: What would happen if I built regular armor and then coated it with something fairly heavy duty like (spray in liner for truck beds) or something (plastic or ect). Would it hold up better or would it just be better to place more layers of fiberglass inside or resin outside?

Also, what holds up better molded or papakura armor?

Finally, I have trouble with opening the Pepakura files? Does anyone have the link for the program. (maybe I am just clueless but I did not see it when searching that portion of the fourms).

Sorry about the double posting (I have now read the rules and know better) ;)

I will at least start making a Papakura outline for everything and go forward from their. Thanks for all the tips everyone and if anyone has any more advice as to strengthening a basic outline it would be much appreciated!

I don't use it in my build but for strength try using Bondo or Rondo (Resin and Bondo mix) on the parts where they glue together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back