Hopefully not derailing too much, but I noticed on the info cards it mentions no prop weapons in the case. If that's the case, how do y'all transport your prop weapons? Mail them in advance? And would there be any issues with traveling with a prop weapon in the case as well? I've checked TSA's rules and I haven't seen anything that would prohibit a clearly nonfunctional prop from flying checked, but I'm curious on the experience of those that have done it already.
I mean, I have flown with my real guns before (checked baggage obviously). I usually just tell the bag lady and she goes and makes sure they r unloaded and whatnot so I'm sure you could tell them that you have a prop gun and they would do the same. Also, those info cards are probably customizable to your own needs. If you can fit the gun in there then put it on the sheet.

Hopefully not derailing too much, but I noticed on the info cards it mentions no prop weapons in the case. If that's the case, how do y'all transport your prop weapons? Mail them in advance? And would there be any issues with traveling with a prop weapon in the case as well? I've checked TSA's rules and I haven't seen anything that would prohibit a clearly nonfunctional prop from flying checked, but I'm curious on the experience of those that have done it already.
I choose not to bring any prop weapons because I was flying International to Canada which are strict against weapons.

If I was flying with them I would make a new sign or put them in a separate case. Weapons are probably the most fragile things we cosplay with., so be extra careful in packing them. We have a great group of members here at the 405th. When I travel to new events outside of my area I often ask in the event thread if anyone would be willing to loan me a weapon for the weekend. Which is how I got photos with this sweet laser tag plasma pistol!
IMG_0495.jpg

Prop weapons can go in your checked bag, I have done it before, just make sure you do state that on the document you put in the bin, make you you have the orange tip and ideally a barrel plug, and make sure you tell the TSA agent or airline representative checking your bag that there is a NON-functional PROP item in your bag.

The answer probably varies depending on location, but I'd be interested to hear if/what you'd have to tick on the decleration form to declare a prop weapon? Don't think the forms are needed for interstate flights, but would be for international.

FYI: Big Lots has the big Sterilite Jumbo Tote for $32 right now. YMMV, but one of the stores near me had a whole bunch of them. Really good deal, and the single tote is able to fit my entire 3D printed Mark VI/Recon suit which is really nice. I haven't added padding or anything yet, but it was too good of a deal to pass up, given the typical price.

Not sure if this will work for everyone, but hopefully helps a few people out

Last edited:
FYI: Big Lots has the big Sterilite Jumbo Tote for $32 right now. YMMV, but one of the stores near me had a whole bunch of them. Really good deal, and the single tote is able to fit my entire 3D printed Mark VI/Recon suit which is really nice. I haven't added padding or anything yet, but it was too good of a deal to pass up, given the typical price.

Not sure if this will work for everyone, but hopefully helps a few people out

Will work great if you're traveling by car but just be aware that it'll be oversized baggage if you're traveling by plane. From what I can see it's $200 for United, American, and Delta. Not sure about any others but it'd most likely be around the same cost.

The past few time that I've flown with props I either make them to break down into pieces magnetically or use smaller props that just fit in my armor totes.
As long as you put them in your checked bags you should be fine. It does help if they're not "gun" looking.
Ex:
This prop breaks down into multiple components. (unpainted image)
1685458143784.png

At this point I just opt to bring covenant/forerunner props. I have never had the need to declare as a firearm as they are non functioning display items and it just complicates things. 99.99% of the time they don't care about the nerd bringing the fake plastic props across the continent/internationally :lol:

Used the Sterilite Footlockers to pack up a Spartan this time around. With some Tetris level packing you can fit a full spartan in 2 of the cases + a helmet bag. This method has become my favored way of traveling with armor.
Use a ziptie/lock in the main lock slot, locking bungie cord around the whole case (loop through the side handle), and then you can use a tie down strap to lash the 2 bins together when walking throughout the airport. The built in wheels & handle are a bit of a struggle to wheel around depending on your height.
I used a U hitch, bolted it to the inner carrying handle, then improvised a clip on handle using a lawnmower starting handle. So far it's worked very well.
Both cases fit within the regular suitcase sizing so you don't need to pay the oversized fee. Airport staff may have you deposit them in the oversized drop off however.
1686151475300.png
1686151534613.png

Used the Sterilite Footlockers to pack up a Spartan this time around. With some Tetris level packing you can fit a full spartan in 2 of the cases + a helmet bag. This method has become my favored way of traveling with armor.
Use a ziptie/lock in the main lock slot, locking bungie cord around the whole case (loop through the side handle), and then you can use a tie down strap to lash the 2 bins together when walking throughout the airport. The built in wheels & handle are a bit of a struggle to wheel around depending on your height.
I used a U hitch, bolted it to the inner carrying handle, then improvised a clip on handle using a lawnmower starting handle. So far it's worked very well.
Both cases fit within the regular suitcase sizing so you don't need to pay the oversized fee. Airport staff may have you deposit them in the oversized drop off however.
View attachment 332289View attachment 332290
that is an awesome idea for a handle i like it..

I can totally recommend the 180l Stanley crate now. It survived handling by ryanair and two typical ryanair high impact landings just fine. Barely has any scratches. You can even sit on the corners (I weigh about 105kg). Also you can make a little luggage choo choo train with a additional trolley.
WhatsApp Image 2023-08-13 at 16.30.41.jpeg

I never cross posted my Airline Traveling Tips from my first build thread and the Joint Ops "Traveling Tips" thread into this thread:

When I fly with my armor I pack it into a Rubbermaid or Sterlite tub that fits within the “Checked baggage” limits without going into the “over-sized category,” which means another surcharge and fee. For most airlines this is a maximum size of 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Usually a "20 Gallon" Tote or Tub will fit this need. For example, here are some Totes at Target that fit within the luggage size and are very cheap, like $10:

I drilled holes around the top of the tub and the sides to feed zip ties through to secure the lid, in addition to the latching handles. Zip ties are good because if TSA has to open the tub they just cut the zip tie and then replace it with their own zip ties. (The best thing to secure you luggage with in general is Zip Ties or TSA approved locks.)

The plastic tub is good because it provides a fair amount of rigidity and protection to your armor, but is also much lighter than most conventional hard shell suitcases. This is important because in addition to the size limits for oversize luggage, there is also usually a weight limit, somewhere around 50 pounds.

My armor is vacuum formed plastic, which means it is lightweight and therefore easily is under the 50 pound weight limit even when coupled with the tub and any extras I pack in with it. Also, because it is vacuum form plastic the pieces nest inside of each very easily, and compact down into the tub easily. With an EVA foam costume it probably won't fit in one tub, so, you might want to get 2, since most airlines let you check 2 pieces of luggage. I will also say at this point that this is why I fly with Southwest when I can when I am taking armor to an event, as they still give you two free checked bags.

I also always place a document on top of the tub, so that if TSA opens it, it is right where they can see it right away. It lists my name, phone number, what the costume is made out of, and shows pictures of the costume Front, Back, and Side.) Whenever I hand over the tub, either at the counter or to the TSA agents, I always also make sure to tell them there is a replica costume inside.

View attachment 314682
View attachment 314683
The primary downside to these totes or tubs is that they do not have wheels, so you will have to either lug it around, or get creative and add your own wheels by drilling a hole on each side and running a threaded rod through the tote and attaching some wheels on the outside.

I never cross posted my Airline Traveling Tips from my first build thread and the Joint Ops "Traveling Tips" thread into this thread:

When I fly with my armor I pack it into a Rubbermaid or Sterlite tub that fits within the “Checked baggage” limits without going into the “over-sized category,” which means another surcharge and fee. For most airlines this is a maximum size of 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Usually a "20 Gallon" Tote or Tub will fit this need. For example, here are some Totes at Target that fit within the luggage size and are very cheap, like $10:

I drilled holes around the top of the tub and the sides to feed zip ties through to secure the lid, in addition to the latching handles. Zip ties are good because if TSA has to open the tub they just cut the zip tie and then replace it with their own zip ties. (The best thing to secure you luggage with in general is Zip Ties or TSA approved locks.)

The plastic tub is good because it provides a fair amount of rigidity and protection to your armor, but is also much lighter than most conventional hard shell suitcases. This is important because in addition to the size limits for oversize luggage, there is also usually a weight limit, somewhere around 50 pounds.

My armor is vacuum formed plastic, which means it is lightweight and therefore easily is under the 50 pound weight limit even when coupled with the tub and any extras I pack in with it. Also, because it is vacuum form plastic the pieces nest inside of each very easily, and compact down into the tub easily. With an EVA foam costume it probably won't fit in one tub, so, you might want to get 2, since most airlines let you check 2 pieces of luggage. I will also say at this point that this is why I fly with Southwest when I can when I am taking armor to an event, as they still give you two free checked bags.

I also always place a document on top of the tub, so that if TSA opens it, it is right where they can see it right away. It lists my name, phone number, what the costume is made out of, and shows pictures of the costume Front, Back, and Side.) Whenever I hand over the tub, either at the counter or to the TSA agents, I always also make sure to tell them there is a replica costume inside.

View attachment 314682
View attachment 314683
The primary downside to these totes or tubs is that they do not have wheels, so you will have to either lug it around, or get creative and add your own wheels by drilling a hole on each side and running a threaded rod through the tote and attaching some wheels on the outside.
Huh. I never knew Totes could be brought on airlines.
If I don't want to use a Tote when traveling, would a Luggage thats big enough for an armor set be okay for traveling?
Or If I bring only something small like a helmet what would I have to do?

Huh. I never knew Totes could be brought on airlines.
If I don't want to use a Tote when traveling, would a Luggage thats big enough for an armor set be okay for traveling?
Or If I bring only something small like a helmet what would I have to do?
You would be surprised at what you can check for a flight. Toolboxes, surf boards, cardboard boxes, PVC pipe. If you are willing to pay the fee for checked baggage, the airline is happy to take your money.

I can't answer that question for you, its your costume. If you feel comfortable packing and flying with it in a standard suitcase, that's up to you. I will say u less you get a hard sided case the risk of damage and breakage would be very high from a soft sided case and the way checked bags are tossed around.

I always take my helmet as my carry on in a helmet bag. There are a lot of options on Amazon, many for under $20 that are lined with fleece like material and easily fit a Spartan or ODST helmet.

For most airlines this is a maximum size of 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Usually a "20 Gallon" Tote or Tub will fit this need.
I flew to Orlando from Detroit in Feb and used 2 102L totes (28.55-inch L x 19.61-inch W x 15.27-inch H). This is 10" over the 62" limit and I was prepared to pay the over size fee. Luckily, on the way there and back I got a very nice agent at the bag check area and they only charged me the regular fee. I didn't even have to ask. So turns out, that limit can be stretched a bit, but success on waving the oversize fee is not always guaranteed.

Thanks for the costume information sheets Asgardian, Duke and Arc!

I'm currently working on mine for Otafest (secrets for the time being). I'll be carrying over a few tools/materials for repairs and assembly, like screw drivers, scissors, E6000/superglue, spare foam, etc. in checked-in luggage. No electric tools, knives, or aerosols. Do you guys (asking anyone) think it's worth briefly including on the information sheet a quick overview of the tools and materials I bring (just some examples), or not to worry?

Thanks for the costume information sheets Asgardian, Duke and Arc!

I'm currently working on mine for Otafest (secrets for the time being). I'll be carrying over a few tools/materials for repairs and assembly, like screw drivers, scissors, E6000/superglue, spare foam, etc. in checked-in luggage. No electric tools, knives, or aerosols. Do you guys (asking anyone) think it's worth briefly including on the information sheet a quick overview of the tools and materials I bring (just some examples), or not to worry?
couldn't hurt right? Anything to give TSA confidence you're stuff is good to fly

Hey y'all!

Figured I'd share this model for an AirTag holder that fits nicely inside the lid of those popular Sterilite footlockers a lot of us use for carrying armor to cons and such. The base of it fits snugly into one of the indentations on the underside of the lid and can be tacked in place with super glue on the edges to keep it secure. The top "lid" can be put in place with velcro, and that has the bonus effect of giving a little gap for the sound (and bluetooth/UWB precision finding signals!) to come out so it's not totally sealed. I've attached the models to this post.

(I've also thrown in a picture of my armor crates I finished labeling a few weeks ago; I'm super happy with how they turned out. I even used the correct fonts from the 405th style guide!)

1711957578329.png

Attachments

• Footlocker Airtag Lid.stl
    43.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Footlocker Airtag Holder.stl
    4.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back