Artifice Helmet Build's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artifice

Hey Everyone, As the title says, this thread will be an all helmet thread!

I've been building helmets for a few years now. But I've only got to the point where I finish the paper craft model. Until now! With the help of a few friends in the movie industry I'm now well on my way to COMPLETING my first helmet.

So here are a few of the helmets I've made so far.

ODST1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo4.jpg

Ryans%20helmet.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg
ODST1.jpg

So for the first helmet I'l be building the Rogue

Step 1: Papercraft - The Plan
>> So this is the Rogue file I used Halo 3 - MJOLNIR Mark VI - Rogue ( If you don't have it already the program that you use is pepakura designer 4 you can get it here for free Download : Pepakura Designer
>> I have a bit of a bigger head so I had to scale the size up a bit ( you can do that by selecting the 2D menu tab and scrolling down to change scale, and selecting ether up or down 10%) Keep in mind, when you save it. Save it as a new file because you can't change the size back to the original dimension's.

Step 2: Print, Cut, Glue
>> As the step says. Once you've gotten the helmet to the right dimensions go ahead and print away ( I use cardstock paper, its a thicker paper that can be bought at any office supply store and it helps keep the shape of the helmet 100X better than normal paper. Not to mention it makes it a little less fragile.)
>> Then once all the pages are printed out start cutting ! I normally start at the top of the helmet and work my way down.
>> I just use your basic hot glue gun and glue sticks, and only place a small, thin line on the flap that you are attaching together. Then just repeat this step until the helmet is done!

Step 3: Prep for mold !
>> After you've completed your helmet you will want to seal the papers pours so the paper doesn't absorb any of the product that you will place on it. And how you do this is taking ( Crystal clear gloss coat paint ) and completely covering the helmet with a few coats.
>> Now what you want to do is reinforce it so it doesn't collapse on it's self when you start the outer mold. There are a few different ways you can do this, from bracing the walls with Popsicle sticks, fiberglass coat, packing with a soft material....ect Or you can do what I've done, which is take expanding foam and fill the inner part of the helmet. ( Personally it was an alright method but, I think there are better ways going about it )
>> Then we took an extra few pieces of cardstock and braced the outer wall and made a base.

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1825388.jpg

Step 4: Alginate and bandages
>> After your done filling your helmet, you can now start the messy part of casting the helmet. So I used Smooth-On Alja-Safe, alginate. You only need water to mix with this powder base. Make sure you mix thoroughly and don't have any spots of dry powder. After you are fully mixed, MOVE QUICK because this stuff sets quick!!!! you will glop it on and push the alginate into all the little cracks and crevices.

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

I'm the blurry one in the middle :p
>> Also note, take cotton balls and dab the coated helmet while its still wet, so when you apply the bandages they will have something to grab and stick on too.

>> After the alginate sets you can now take out the cardstock and spray foam. Then apply the bandages.

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

>> When you apply the bandages make sure you take most of the water off of them and only do one half of the helmet. when it dry's then take some Vaseline and cover the edge of the helmet where you will apply the other half of the bandages so when your ready they two haves will separate easily.

IMG_1851.jpg

( The center is the overlapping layer of bandages and Vaseline )

>> When it is all dry then you can take the one side off and make sure it comes apart. Then you can place the half back on the keep it together with some duck tape. Now Your Ready To Cast !!!!

Step 5: CASTING
>> Now the fun part. I used white hydrocal plaster for the final product. It make the cast heavy but I can sand as much as I want and I can use some spot putty on all those low spots.

IMG_1854.jpg

>> Again make sure you thoroughly mix the water and plaster powder. and when you start to pour the plaster try your best to make sure it's a smooth pour to prevent bubbles.

IMG_1855.jpg

>> When you are filling the helmet make sure to get it all around the mold and get everything nice a coated. Again it will set fast so put your hand in ( with a glove ) and pull the plaster to all the corners at the bottom of the helmet.
>> Then you just have to wait and let it set

Step 6: The Pull
>> Now that your helmet is set you can carefully take the duck tape and bandages and slowly pull the cast out from the aglinate and PRESTO you have a helmet...... A vary ruff helmet I'll be it, but a helmet all the same !

IMG_1858.jpg

I was really impressed how it came out from just being a cardstock paper helmet. And I've just started to sand and I hope to post another update soon! Until then, See You Next Time !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back