Assault Rifle ammo counter

Status
Not open for further replies.
xobx said:
Hi-res from Halo3 :)

counterqa2.jpg

Remember that the symbol on the top is rotating, but thats maybe a bit overkill..

Very nice, I'll have something for you all today.
Also, keep in mind, the lcd is NOT a segment lcd display in game. Think more like an OLED display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although a true replica would have an LCD-type screen, I would definitely settle for a 7 segment ("clock style") display that counted down (and made sounds?).

That video was pretty sweet...

link4044 said:
like this
nar5.jpg

it does look really good, I know you have been working on that for a while link.

without seeing it in person I am not sure, but it almost seems too bright.

do you have the display wired up like M41a or is it static?

=Jubal=

it is bright but it does look good....right now its just a static but i wrote this guy to see if he would do some custom work for me if he can that would save alot of time to get these bad boys out....its alot of work for the two of us

got an email from and hes going to get me a quote

Wanted to add this now, cause I said I would.

Damned if I can't get a good looking ammo icon. I spent waaay too much time on this today. LOL

Will continue to work on the ammo icon. If someone has a scan from a instruction booklet, or something...super high rez to work off of...that'd be greatly appreciated.

oledkj6.png

ok my electronics teacher gave me some stuff i can use maybe but the only problem is..... i have to make my own circuit and i dont know much more than squat about ic chips and what not but i did figure out that you need a parallel pair of BCD (decade) counters along with a debounced switch which doesnt seem hard enough but the switch debounce is gonna be hard and i dont have any BCDs that count down only up.... so im gonna have to figure out how to switch them up there if you really want some good work ill do all the hard stuff the only thing i really want is credit for the schematic im drawing up

I thought that a cool Idea is that the ammo counter does count down, but instead of reseting after 0, the clip in the AR is a battery(rechargable of course), and the rifle makes an electronic noise. Once the counter hits 0, the battery runs dead and the sounds will cease when the trigger is pulled , you then stick it into a charger on your belt, and grab another one and "reload" the gun. It would be isanely hard, but awesome all the same.

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
I thought that a cool Idea is that the ammo counter does count down, but instead of reseting after 0, the clip in the AR is a battery(rechargable of course), and the rifle makes an electronic noise. Once the counter hits 0, the battery runs dead and the sounds will cease when the trigger is pulled , you then stick it into a charger on your belt, and grab another one and "reload" the gun. It would be isanely hard, but awesome all the same.
good idea but you would be stuck detaching your mag and unplugging wires at the same time i was just going to store my batteries inside the grip because of that unless you can transfer it through magnetics i know its done but i forget how and i havnt seen any of those parts sold in stores near me not only that but how could u charge it on ur belt? *scratch that* switch out batteries horrah for brain farts!! :lol:

Just rig your reset switch in the mag well and when you swap one "dummy" mag for another it will trigger the reset for the ammo counter. Mount the battery anywhere else. Of course the more realistic way would be to rig the reset switch to a bolt release that way your simulated reload goes like this: swap mag and hit the bolt release that drives the first round from the fresh mag into the chamber and resets the ammo count.

The DIY open source laser tag creator of MileTag has already incorporated these ideas (sound, counter, etc) into his circuit boards just that they are features of the laser tag electronics package.

The 4 digit electronic down counter I linked in my previous post (#13) on this thread will count down from a number you set and its default operation mode is: count down, stop, reset to continue -- exactly what we want. We would only have to mod it for 2 digit instead of 4 digit.

-dwoo

redragon74 said:
good idea but you would be stuck detaching your mag and unplugging wires at the same time i was just going to store my batteries inside the grip because of that unless you can transfer it through magnetics i know its done but i forget how and i havnt seen any of those parts sold in stores near me not only that but how could u charge it on ur belt? *scratch that* switch out batteries horrah for brain farts!! :lol:
There's a charger that you can buy that charges nine volt batteries via solar power, the solar panel is really small (3 in. x 3 in.) but, is quick to recharge, and you could just pull a laser tag thing, where the battery doesn't "die", but still runs out of ammo. and with that, you may not even need a charger, just switch batteries, and 9-volt has those two prongs on top, just mearsure out the recieving end in the gun good and you could pop it right in.

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
There's a charger that you can buy that charges nine volt batteries via solar power, the solar panel is really small (3 in. x 3 in.) but, is quick to recharge, and you could just pull a laser tag thing, where the battery doesn't "die", but still runs out of ammo. and with that, you may not even need a charger, just switch batteries, and 9-volt has those two prongs on top, just mearsure out the recieving end in the gun good and you could pop it right in.
touche on the solar lol didnt think of that i kinda like the other idea with the alien/pred guns to though cause it does look pro

I just had a brainstorm.
Isnt it possible to use sticky Electroluminescent strips, and simply bend them into the numbers normally? Since they run on their own electrical supply and can last up to a full year, because of its extremely low energy use.
I mean about a Buck 35 a foot is pretty cheap then stupid freaking LCD's or LEDS or whatnot.
Im going to order some right now :)

i agree, the compass on the gun would be hard to make spin, so you could be stuck making it not move.

and xobx, that sig is really big and the mods dont have to deal with it they can just remove it. so you should probably change it out

If you're really serious about creating your own ammo counter etc I found this document which details how to go about the creation of a Laser Tag electronic board which features everything from switchable fire modes to an ammo counter and also including a circuit which locks out functions during magazine change and a sound generator.

The only problem is that there is lot based around the integration of it with lasertag systems which may have to be got around if you want to just use the ammo counter ;)

Hope it helps

EDIT: Upon further inspection it seems that if you simple remove the Tag pulse generator and IR diode the rest of the circuits should function fine and you just won't be shooting random infrared signals all over the place :D

CemreTas said:
I just had a brainstorm.
Isnt it possible to use sticky Electroluminescent strips, and simply bend them into the numbers normally? Since they run on their own electrical supply and can last up to a full year, because of its extremely low energy use.
I mean about a Buck 35 a foot is pretty cheap then stupid freaking LCD's or LEDS or whatnot.
Im going to order some right now :)

Actually, LED's, like all electronic parts you would use to make a circuit board, are extremly cheap, you can get a pack of 500 transistors fresh off the factory assembly line for 10 bucks. LED's are likely around several cents each, I could get most or all of the parts for at least one, if not several complex circuit boards for under a dollar. It's the know-how that's expencive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back