AU cosplay guns - orange tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtSaint

So... As an American transplant I'm used to taking real-looking guns to conventions. I know that's really frowned on here. Spraying a BR rifle barrel orange is easy and obvious. But what are y'all doing for marking UNSC magnum pistols? There's not really much of a barrel to work with and make an obvious orange.

1665551704500.png

I'd probably makeit an insert, like a foam one or printed one with foam padding to prevent paint scratching, and paint it orange. Make sure to keep hidden when out of the con and get it checked by Weapons HQ

It's interesting that this thread came to be, because I was actually thinking about this for the Magnum I would print as a sidearm. They look awesome, but with the barrels being contained within the frame of the gun and not protruding in any way, it makes it tough not only to paint it, but have it be visible so people can tell it's not real.

PlanetAlexander, what do you mean by "insert", out of curiosity?

Edit: I just realized this was asked in regard to the AU regiment (which I'm not in), but I was curious about it since it's a question relevant to a problem I may eventually face. Hopefully I haven't broken any sort of rule.

@PlanetAlexander, what do you mean by "insert", out of curiosity?
I guess "plug" is the better word. Since the projectile's exit isn't a circle, or a shape easy to fit a cap on, something to insert in there to show the "barrel" is plugged would probably work better.
1665619048478.png

1665619059317.png

Would that work for the M6C? That's my choice of a sidearm (though certainly not in Halo 2!), but the barrel is flush with the frame of the gun, and it lacks the optic link + housing that sits above the barrel. I'm just making sure that I understand it right, to insert some sort of orange plug into the barrel.

Same deal, if there's a barrel, just shove something orange in there. I found a photo from Etsy of someone who is executing the idea:
1665620644654.png

WIP
But turns out a foam nerf dart is a good fit.

Attachments

• A9E05DA3-C28B-41DF-9DB4-9CF45AD5A266.jpeg
    A9E05DA3-C28B-41DF-9DB4-9CF45AD5A266.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • D7816262-09E0-47A8-BBE4-2B6E53BEA977.jpeg
    D7816262-09E0-47A8-BBE4-2B6E53BEA977.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
That'd work! Just make sure to chop off the rubber end, as they may get suspicious of someone having Nerf rounds. Nerf guns are only allowed if they have the plug and are completely disabled

Nerf guns are only allowed if they have the plug and are completely disabled
You have got to be shi**ing me. I can backhand someone with a solid armor fist or forearm ... but a foam dart...

Grandma:
You'll put someone's eye out with that.

In all seriousness: Thanks for the advice. I just never ever in a million years would have occured to me that an in-tact nerf dart would constitute a security violation.
I'll make sure my repainted Nerf Spartan rifle has no batteries or darts.

It's not the dart itself that'd be the problem. Just if they saw a Nerf dart that could be fired, they might get suspicious you're carrying a working Nerf gun, that's all. If you can prove you're not, all is good.

This is the Supanova weapons/costume policy if you're interested:

"No Projectiles are permitted loaded into any toy capable of firing such a payload. This includes but is not limited to: Nerf or Foam Darts, Arrows or Bolts, Powder Caps, Explosive or Power Charges, Any liquid etc etc. Nerf Guns are allowed, as are bows and crossbows, as long as they are incapable of firing any projectile."

The Nerf dart is such a cool idea for a plug (with the tip snipped off). I've a bucket of the old school orange darts. Cons won't let you bring certain wood props in like baseball bats (hello 2016-2017 era Harley Quinns!).

For my US Colonial Marine Pulse Rifle I have a blaze orange plug tip I 3D printed that is removable for photos :) I also (usually) carry any guns to the cons in plastic bags (used to be Deadshot and I had 6, though most were unrealistic in shape and colour).
DSC_1792.JPG
DSC_1789.JPG

Poor Pulse Rifle :)

For my US Colonial Marine Pulse Rifle I have a blaze orange plug tip I 3D printed that is removable for photos :) I also (usually) carry any guns to the cons in plastic bags (used to be Deadshot and I had 6, though most were unrealistic in shape and colour).
View attachment 324442View attachment 324443
Poor Pulse Rifle :)

I've got a Hasbro Pulse L.E. M41a that should be delivered later this month. It will get a re-paint just like the Nerf Spartan Rifle and Nerf Needler.
I have a soft rifle case for carrying prop guns both 'hidden' yet 'in theme'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back