Aztlan's Halo 4 Rogue + Binary Rifle + M6H + Exo-suit WIP, PIC HEAVY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man I'm so excited to see this visor coming together. I think it's something a lot of people have difficulty with at least in trying to make it more game accurate, but with that comes a lot of variation with techniques which is great. Are you planning on doing some type of mirrored effect on the visor? So that you can see out but other people can't see in?

Oh hell yeah, I love that orange acrylic! I was considering building the Rogue helmet back when the game first came out and had the same idea for the visor, so I'm excited to see you do it. How do you plan to adhere the pieces together? Clear caulking?

-Ryan M-082

That slider idea is pure genius! Mind if I steal it and start plotting ways to do this on my suit?

And as always, keep up the great work! You're doing an amazing job, and I seriously hope to get the opportunity to see the finished suit in person, some day :D

By all means, please do! Like I have stated before in this build... anything you see me do, please feel free to replicate (just give credit when possible :) )

Oh man I'm so excited to see this visor coming together. I think it's something a lot of people have difficulty with at least in trying to make it more game accurate, but with that comes a lot of variation with techniques which is great. Are you planning on doing some type of mirrored effect on the visor? So that you can see out but other people can't see in?

I am currently researching options using a test piece I am working with. Misting either silver or gold on the inside seems to work well, as I can still see out, but others can't see in, but I am still not sure that will be my final decision.

Oh hell yeah, I love that orange acrylic! I was considering building the Rogue helmet back when the game first came out and had the same idea for the visor, so I'm excited to see you do it. How do you plan to adhere the pieces together? Clear caulking?

-Ryan M-082

I picked up some Locktite Plastics Bonder in hopes that will work on my test pieces. If not, I will need to track down some methylene chloride.

Quick update:

All the major pieces are now shaped (bent and edges sanded to proper angle). I am having to redo one of them because I stressed it too much while bending it and it cracked... but not a big deal.

SAM_1362_zps436216cd.jpg

And I have started etching in the detail lines and adding the hex painter's mask... very time consuming!!

SAM_1363_zpsb568ac48.jpg

Almost halfway done. Keep in mind, each hex piece is individually "picked" from the master sheet, then laid into position on the visor....... ONE AT A TIME!!!

SAM_1364_zps7c4f1e32.jpg

Just over 3 1/2 hours later... just about ready for paint :)

SAM_1366_zps61288b8e.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1362_zps436216cd.jpg
    SAM_1362_zps436216cd.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 172
  • SAM_1363_zpsb568ac48.jpg
    SAM_1363_zpsb568ac48.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 174
  • SAM_1364_zps7c4f1e32.jpg
    SAM_1364_zps7c4f1e32.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 187
  • SAM_1366_zps61288b8e.jpg
    SAM_1366_zps61288b8e.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 175
hoooooooo dayummm!!!! I love Hex patterns!!! So you individually stuck one hexagon at a time?! My goodness.. anyway i meant to say was what were the foamies for? not what are foamies.. Cant wait to see how the visor will turn out ;D

I was wondering how you'd gone about putting those hexagons on, Spartan. You're crazy, but it's the sort of crazy that comes with MAD SCIENCE, and I like it.

I am currently researching options using a test piece I am working with. Misting either silver or gold on the inside seems to work well, as I can still see out, but others can't see in, but I am still not sure that will be my final decision.

I found that you need as glass smooth as possible on the inside and out for the best clarity. For that reason, I misted the Testors Metalizer on the front surface, then applied clear colors over the silvering. I applied a several clear coats over that to make the surface as smooth as possible to reduce distortion. The TUT is in my sig block. I did this while deployed. If I'd had access to the quality automotive coatings and clearcoats available here, I could have done even better with wet sanding and buffing of the outer surface. If I did it again, I'd apply less metal coat. Using your hex pattern would leave tiny areas without metalizer and further improve your vision as well.

If you have to put the metal inside, clear coat it to restore the clarity. Use the best you can find. If you don't use catalyzed automotive clear coat, use Eastwood.com Diamond Clear Gloss. This has been the best I've ever found out of a can for getting a glass-smooth surface.

I believe this system is the best for getting a visor that looks game-correct unlike mirrored motorcycle visors. The down side is that your ability to see will never be as good, especially at night. Embrace functioning lights in your helmet! By that I mean lights bright enough and well-aimed for your movement rather than merely a costume detail.

As always, amazing work!

Redshirt

Thanks all!! And thanks Redshirt, I will be sure to check out the tutorial before I get to that step :)

Trembling hands and all.... I managed to cut out the visor and the lower helmet portion so I could put the helmet on for the very first time :)

SAM_1367_zps3936f801.jpg

Test fit of the acrylic visor

SAM_1368_zps22789849.jpg

Nudder angle

SAM_1369_zps9271d57c.jpg

And, I bridged the hex pattern across the span of pieces so that they will all match up properly

SAM_1370_zps28572253.jpg

Next is to finish the hex pattern and perform some minor adjustments to the visor.

Attachments

• SAM_1370_zps28572253.jpg
    SAM_1370_zps28572253.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 172
  • SAM_1369_zps9271d57c.jpg
    SAM_1369_zps9271d57c.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 177
  • SAM_1368_zps22789849.jpg
    SAM_1368_zps22789849.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 172
  • SAM_1367_zps3936f801.jpg
    SAM_1367_zps3936f801.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 161
Impressive work, Spartan. Are the acrylic pieces bevelled for fitting, or will there be seams to fill once you're done?

Impressive work, Spartan. Are the acrylic pieces bevelled for fitting, or will there be seams to fill once you're done?

Beveled for sure :) I am sure there will be some sort of filling I will have to do, but I am really trying to minimalize it. I am thinking of possibly using (pending results of yet another test of course!) clear silicone tinted with translucent orange acrylic.

dude this build looks very epic. AWESOME! I just have one question, what is that under suit made out of?

Mainly EVA foam. I did a full write up on all the parts, bit, and pieces I used and that can be found on pages: Exo-Suit: 14-28, 32-34, 38-40 of this thread.

Thanks btw :)

Ugh! Finally finished applying all the hex painter's mask pieces to the visor. Took about 12 hours over three nights to complete.

SAM_1374_zpsd127a316.jpg

Now just need to tape off the sides and backs before I send to the paint booth :)

Also, I managed to get some good progress on the helmet today. I figure one more good day of smoothing and shaping before I head on to the fine details. Also, after fitting the helmet, I realized the AI chip will not fit into my AI port with the helmet on... so I am going to have to figure out some other way of achieving my goals there :)

SAM_1372_zps70adbb3a.jpg

SAM_1371_zpse87cc356.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1371_zpse87cc356.jpg
    SAM_1371_zpse87cc356.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 164
  • SAM_1372_zps70adbb3a.jpg
    SAM_1372_zps70adbb3a.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 159
  • SAM_1374_zpsd127a316.jpg
    SAM_1374_zpsd127a316.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 172
wow man this is looking fantastic. I am loving the hex pattern and how you made it look like one piece. :) keep up the great work

wow man this is looking fantastic. I am loving the hex pattern and how you made it look like one piece. :) keep up the great work

Thanks so much! I guess I was a bit lucky that I only had to redo one piece because I didn't check to see if everything was aligned properly... and of course it wasn't. That simply would not do!

Set up for paint and first coat applied

SAM_1377_zpsa9144774.jpg

And the final product for this stage :)

SAM_1380_zpscc31ad40.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_1380_zpscc31ad40.jpg
    SAM_1380_zpscc31ad40.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 165
  • SAM_1377_zpsa9144774.jpg
    SAM_1377_zpsa9144774.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 169
Looking good, though personally I would've gone with a more orange shade rather than gold so the hex pattern would be more subtle as it is in-game.
I'm eager to see all the pieces stuck together, your cuts are very clean.

-Ryan M-082

Well, I do have a can of translucent orange paint as well that I can always go over the top of the gold to "dull" it down... but that will be done on my test pieces first before proceeding :)

Also, I just ordered a bunch of mirror window tint. This is the professional grade stuff that was highly recommended by a retired window installer friend of mine. While there, I also ordered a sample pack of a new product they have... holographic/prismatic window tint :) Hmmmm, Me is thinkin possibilities here.... perhaps layers?

I think i see what you are indicating hmmmm?;) That sounds awesome!!! cant wait to see the different test pieces(as i know you will do before puting it on your visor)

Well, I do have a can of translucent orange paint as well that I can always go over the top of the gold to "dull" it down... but that will be done on my test pieces first before proceeding :)

Also, I just ordered a bunch of mirror window tint. This is the professional grade stuff that was highly recommended by a retired window installer friend of mine. While there, I also ordered a sample pack of a new product they have... holographic/prismatic window tint :) Hmmmm, Me is thinkin possibilities here.... perhaps layers?

Oh okay, I read "Final product" and went "Noooo, the potential! D: " Lol. That window tint sounds like some wicked stuff; I'll be watching to see what it looks like out of the can.

Ryan M-082

Since the helmet is on hold until the supplies arrive in the post, I decided to return my focus on the sides of the back torso. Just three more areas to detail out and then it will be time to wet sand and shelf until all the pieces are completed and ready for paint :)

Foamie strip in place for a detail line to be added (I tacked it in place with four tiny dots of superglue)

SAM_1381_zpsf3bd7bd0.jpg

Adding the bondo

SAM_1383_zps5de22d11.jpg

Removing the Foamie strip

SAM_1382_zpsbae56584.jpg

Primed to better see any imperfections in the finish

SAM_1384_zps41491389.jpg

... and the other side

SAM_1385_zpse995a581.jpg

Tonight I will be working on creating the Foamies templates for the detail on the center back torso... there is a LOT of detail pieces to be added to that bugger!

Attachments

• SAM_1381_zpsf3bd7bd0.jpg
    SAM_1381_zpsf3bd7bd0.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 164
  • SAM_1385_zpse995a581.jpg
    SAM_1385_zpse995a581.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 163
  • SAM_1384_zps41491389.jpg
    SAM_1384_zps41491389.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 149
  • SAM_1382_zpsbae56584.jpg
    SAM_1382_zpsbae56584.jpg