Bandsaw or Scrollsaw what would you guys recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking to purchase a saw finally, Mainly because its so hard to cut thicker styrene with an exacto blade, and I also Would like to get back into wood props. I would mainly be cutting up to 1/4 of an inch styrene, but i would also want one that could handle material up to an inch. What should a go with? a band saw or a scroll saw, and what brand and model? My price range is 150-200$

well i bought a scroll saw for cutting eva foam for armor and its super nice and i got it at harbor freight for like 80 bucks and it should work fine for ur needs.

i have had no issues with iit and i made sure i got the 2 year warranty so if it does break o well i get a new one......

Think about how you're going to be making your cuts and how much you want to invest in it for maintenance. A band saw is intended to be used to make more generalized cuts than a scroll saw. They make narrower-than-usual blades for bandsaws for trickier cuts, but those blades are gonna cost you a little more than typical replacement blades. A scroll saw, however, will get you every kind of detail cut you can imagine. The downside is that it's not meant for heavy duty ripping kinds of cuts. As for maintenance, I'm specifically referring to blade replacement. Band saw blades are going to be more expensive than scrollsaw blades, and you even get multipacks in scrollsaw blades. Ideally you'd have both, though, since they are not intended to be used for the same thing.

It all comes down to the thickness requirments and overall dimentions. Scroll saws tend to cut only 1 - 2 inches thick, and overall depth of 8 - 12 inches... You can get them bigger but you are then into Bandsaw price range. All about the application. You can never go wrong with a 15" bandsaw! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back