1st Build Battle Damaged ODST

MistahFox

Hello friends, a year ago I created a thread of my first Halo/ODST build. Since then I went inactive on the forums, but I certainly didn't stop progress on my armor. Here's pics of October of last year and October of this:
1668922731490.png
1668922799308.png

I am very far from done, but I would like to document my journey in between then and now and then keep updates going forward.
For now I will show how I redid the chest piece, since I'm most proud of it and have the most progress pictures.
I didn't make a new chest piece, I just significantly altered it:
First I cut the front panel out and expanded it with some foam clay to get a more accurate shape
20220429_164402.jpg
20220430_103831.jpg

I tested out weathering and painting techniques with some scraps of foam. I used Wexylex's old tutorial she made for her hunter where she recommended cutting out bits of foam and adding hot glue for plasma burns. Testing it definitely helped me decide some things for how I was going to make it on my armor!

1668923273718.png

I cut out a significant amount of foam in a pattern I thought was realistic for a plasma burn, added more cuts and carefully added hot glue around the burn area. I also added screws and some foam clay around the edges, which I did not do very well but it looked kind of like welds so its okay (I would like some tips for smoothing out foam joins!):
20220516_022804.jpg
20220521_174148.jpg

I sealed the foam with 4 layers of plastidip and the first coat of paint was white aluminum:
20220523_145405.jpg
1668924032733.png

I used masking fluid on all of the surfaces I wanted to be scratched off then painted it with the color 343 recommended in the cosplay guide (which didn't work out but I'll get to that):
1668924282726.png
1668924420923.png

I started masking off different areas and added sky blue and dark grey which came out really well

1668924542337.png
1668924568817.png
1668924641501.png

I pealed off the masking tape and some of the masking fluid beneath all the layers to come to the horrifying realization that either 343 or the paint company got the colors wrong and the armor was green instead of grey, but I would have to fix that later.
1668924612390.png

I went into illustrator and put logos I wanted to print on the already proportioned printing files so they would fit perfectly, including a fully custom ODST logo that I'm really proud of which follows my personal bull theme I've used in many projects (please ask me if you want to use my emblem):
1668925139110.png

I had no idea how to make stencils so I tried just cutting them out and taping them, but it didn't come out well.

1668925330844.png
1668925267091.png

Instead, I kept cutting them out but used spray adhesive on the otherside of the paper and used a few layers to get the whole skull, which mostly worked:
1668925443870.png
1668925464455.png

I had to mask off all the damage carefully to repaint the wings so it didn't clash terribly, redid the unsc logo, added the other logos and scratched off the rest of the masking fluid, so it started looking really good:
1668925606221.png

Finally, I painted a scratch mark over the left side horn which brings it in line with my personal theme. I sanded the skull slightly which I thought would take away the overspray but instead let the brown and black acrylic paint I used for weathering seep into the the paint in an extremely cool way:

1668925969617.jpeg

I used some cool packing foam I found to create the leather plate carriers and painted and weathered it the same way with some slashes from a grunt claw. The ammo pouch I was going to add to my thigh plate but I haven't made that yet and also I am not confident enough in my foam working to make the real middle plate of the ODST so I substituted. The pouch is resin printed by a friend of mine and hinges so it fits a wallet! Or will, when I fix the hinge...
1668926266627.png

I had never worked with foam before this project; mistakes were made, and lessons were learned; it's been a long journey, and there's much longer to go but I'm really proud of what I've made so far! Thank you mountain for encouraging me in this endeavor, and I hope to see you all again soon!
1668926555274.png

Until next time, Mistah Fox out!

Attachments

• 1668924778780.jpeg
    1668924778780.jpeg
    935.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220510_174453.jpg
    20220510_174453.jpg
    851.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220521_172633.jpg
    20220521_172633.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
Hello friends, a year ago I created a thread of my first Halo/ODST build. Since then I went inactive on the forums, but I certainly didn't stop progress on my armor. Here's pics of October of last year and October of this:
View attachment 325637View attachment 325638
I am very far from done, but I would like to document my journey in between then and now and then keep updates going forward.
For now I will show how I redid the chest piece, since I'm most proud of it and have the most progress pictures.
I didn't make a new chest piece, I just significantly altered it:
First I cut the front panel out and expanded it with some foam clay to get a more accurate shape
View attachment 325639View attachment 325640
I tested out weathering and painting techniques with some scraps of foam. I used Wexylex's old tutorial she made for her hunter where she recommended cutting out bits of foam and adding hot glue for plasma burns. Testing it definitely helped me decide some things for how I was going to make it on my armor!

View attachment 325642
I cut out a significant amount of foam in a pattern I thought was realistic for a plasma burn, added more cuts and carefully added hot glue around the burn area. I also added screws and some foam clay around the edges, which I did not do very well but it looked kind of like welds so its okay (I would like some tips for smoothing out foam joins!):
View attachment 325643View attachment 325645
I sealed the foam with 4 layers of plastidip and the first coat of paint was white aluminum:
View attachment 325646View attachment 325647

I used masking fluid on all of the surfaces I wanted to be scratched off then painted it with the color 343 recommended in the cosplay guide (which didn't work out but I'll get to that):
View attachment 325648View attachment 325649
I started masking off different areas and added sky blue and dark grey which came out really well

View attachment 325650View attachment 325651View attachment 325653
I pealed off the masking tape and some of the masking fluid beneath all the layers to come to the horrifying realization that either 343 or the paint company got the colors wrong and the armor was green instead of grey, but I would have to fix that later.
View attachment 325652
I went into illustrator and put logos I wanted to print on the already proportioned printing files so they would fit perfectly, including a fully custom ODST logo that I'm really proud of which follows my personal bull theme I've used in many projects (please ask me if you want to use my emblem): View attachment 325655
I had no idea how to make stencils so I tried just cutting them out and taping them, but it didn't come out well.

View attachment 325657View attachment 325656
Instead, I kept cutting them out but used spray adhesive on the otherside of the paper and used a few layers to get the whole skull, which mostly worked:View attachment 325658View attachment 325659
I had to mask off all the damage carefully to repaint the wings so it didn't clash terribly, redid the unsc logo, added the other logos and scratched off the rest of the masking fluid, so it started looking really good: View attachment 325660
Finally, I painted a scratch mark over the left side horn which brings it in line with my personal theme. I sanded the skull slightly which I thought would take away the overspray but instead let the brown and black acrylic paint I used for weathering seep into the the paint in an extremely cool way:

View attachment 325661
I used some cool packing foam I found to create the leather plate carriers and painted and weathered it the same way with some slashes from a grunt claw. The ammo pouch I was going to add to my thigh plate but I haven't made that yet and also I am not confident enough in my foam working to make the real middle plate of the ODST so I substituted. The pouch is resin printed by a friend of mine and hinges so it fits a wallet! Or will, when I fix the hinge... View attachment 325662
I had never worked with foam before this project; mistakes were made, and lessons were learned; it's been a long journey, and there's much longer to go but I'm really proud of what I've made so far! Thank you mountain for encouraging me in this endeavor, and I hope to see you all again soon!View attachment 325663
Until next time, Mistah Fox out!
Looks great!

I renovated the shoulders with the same technique I did the chest. The method works well but it uses a lot of paint so I will probably do something different for the rest. I used printed a water sticker for the med red patch which I accidentally crinkled but that just makes it look more realistic, so happy accident! I used photoshop to make the barcode read the last part of my username too

Attachments

• 20221121_153142.jpg
    20221121_153142.jpg
    967.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20221121_153156.jpg
    20221121_153156.jpg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 71
Small update: It's been two cold to paint, but I'm starting work on a Halo student film project, and however my meeting with my professor goes tomorrow will determine if I need to crunch out my ODST armor for it or not.

Small update: It's been two cold to paint, but I'm starting work on a Halo student film project, and however my meeting with my professor goes tomorrow will determine if I need to crunch out my ODST armor for it or not.
Let me know if you need any help with armor or props! I can't wait to hear more about the film project!

Another small update for the ODST:
My old hip plates were significantly under scaled and didn't look very good, so I decided to remake them.
1678692106769.png

I also realized the files I was using were inaccurate and I couldn't find accurate ones for free so I made my own in illustrator:
image.png

20230312_174813.jpg

I cut out the inner part by eyeballing it from the reference photos and using a ruler to keep the measurements the same, then put it in place with hot glue which is the first time I've used hot glue for attaching foam pieces.
1678692308063.png

Now it looks much better!

Unfortunately that's the last of my ODST updates for a while. Right now I need to focus on finishing my Halo fan film, and because the only actor I'm providing armor for is 5'5" and I'm 6' tall, I can't use my ODST armor for them and will use Marine armor instead. That means I don't have an excuse to work on the ODST right now, but I will finish it when I get the time!

Thanks for watching my progress, until next time!

This thread may be too old so we'll see if this post goes through, but after a long break to work on the film (coming soon TM) I'm back in the saddle again! Kind of. I'm working on Mandalorian armor, but it's gonna be a hybrid Mandalorian/ODST/Stormtrooper, so a combination of all of my costumes to make something to represent me. Since I have to use the ODST belt, and that isn't done yet, I've been working on it and since it's ODST I figured I'd update the forum with my progress:
1686943380325.png

I think I'll keep the Mando specific stuff to the discord, but soon I will be updating this with the finished belt! Hopefully I can work on the rest of the ODST in earnest soon, but until then here's my plastidipped belt pieces (the back piece was finished a while ago)

Last ODST update (for a long time anyway):

20230626_192850.jpg

I followed my previous painting routine, adding a silver primer (since I ran out of my white aluminum paint) and using both masking fluid and this time a bit of sand at the bottom to add weathering.

The hip plate was the first piece of armor I ever made for the ODST, and my new one is the last. Comparing them you can see how much progress I've made in two years of off and on work, and ultimately I'm proud of myself.
belt.JPG

In the end though, I didn't make this for my ODST. Instead, I made it for my Mandalorian/ODST/Stormtrooper crossover armor that I took to AnthroCon. It's a weird twist, for sure, but it's my dream cosplay and something that really represents me, and in the end it turned out super well!
20230629_182533.jpg

Surprisingly, a few people recognized that I was wearing ODST armor, one even asking about joining the 405th!

I'm going to be going abroad soon to finish my degree, so I'm putting down creating cosplay for a while. There's also some personal developments, and I have a little bit of free time before I leave and I'd rather use it to make some YouTube videos than crunch to finish a cosplay when I don't even know when I'll get to wear it.

All that said, this has been an incredible journey! I love Halo, and even though I didn't meet all my ODST goals I had a great time building and wearing it, and met some incredible people that made it all worth it! Maybe the real ODSTs were the friends we made along the way...

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back