Beaky Space Marine Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
chwbcc said:
OK I am going to scrap my first attempt! :lol Yeah it's huge!!! But actually not by much. I'm going to use the calculator I posted above to uhelp find the scale and we'll see how this goes, the second time.

I scaled it down 10% and it's still pretty big, but I think I'm going to go with it so that I can do some runs of it later and be sure people will fit in it. Also, it'll look a little closer to the correct scale with full armor.

chwbcc said:
I want to post my progress on Instructables, do you mind? I'll give you credit for the great work and link people back to this thread.

What is the instructable going to be about? Just you doing this helmet? I guess that's alright.

chwbcc said:

I have not. If I got time, I might do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samuray said:
What is the instructable going to be about? Just you doing this helmet? I guess that's alright.

I want the Instructable to be an overall how to build Sci-fi Armor. So I am going to take everything I have been learning and incorporate it into a good well rounded tutorial.

Your helmet will be the featured project and the tutorial will cover, How to Scale, How to Pep, How to Resin, How to Fiberglass, How to bondo, and how to sand, detail, paint and pad the helmet.

I am pretty sure all of this has been covered here in one for or another, but I know that Instructables is a site dedicated to building things and nothing like this is posted there. (except a Boba Fett Helm tutorial which really falls short to what can be done.)

It will take a few days to get everything set up and ready to begin the Tutorial but I'll shoot you a PM when I am finished to see what you think.

Thanks,

Jerry "chwbcc"

chwbcc said:
I want the Instructable to be an overall how to build Sci-fi Armor. So I am going to take everything I have been learning and incorporate it into a good well rounded tutorial.

Your helmet will be the featured project and the tutorial will cover, How to Scale, How to Pep, How to Resin, How to Fiberglass, How to bondo, and how to sand, detail, paint and pad the helmet.

I am pretty sure all of this has been covered here in one for or another, but I know that Instructables is a site dedicated to building things and nothing like this is posted there. (except a Boba Fett Helm tutorial which really falls short to what can be done.)

It will take a few days to get everything set up and ready to begin the Tutorial but I'll shoot you a PM when I am finished to see what you think.

Thanks,

Jerry "chwbcc"

Let me know what you decide to scale it to before you get too far.

Finished this version scaled to 272mm (10% lower than the original unfold). It's still a little big, but it's for my friend so we'll have to see how it looks on him when I see him this weekend. He's a little bit taller than me.

photo.jpgphoto_2.jpgphoto_3.jpgphoto_4.jpgphoto_5.jpgphoto_6.jpgphoto_7.jpg

wow cant believe i missed this. just a few hours ago a friend was tellin me hed love armour like this. hes gonna be stoked when i tell him it can happen. ima be watching this thread!

Very nice! I printed my second Pep at 286mm based on the conversion kit. The shoulder is 477mm.

I am really impressed! Your Pep looks amazing! What are you going to do to it next? Aqua Resin? Fiber Glass?

chwbcc said:
Very nice! I printed my second Pep at 286mm based on the conversion kit. The shoulder is 477mm.

I am really impressed! Your Pep looks amazing! What are you going to do to it next? Aqua Resin? Fiber Glass?

How tall are you? I don't think the 282mm is going to work. I'd go for 260 mm at the biggest.

Your conversion kit may not work on this. I didn't scale the original model to any specific size. The scaling method they use is based on the models being scaled originally to the same size. I just kind of started working on it and didn't ever pay attention to the size. So, the shoulder and the helmet might have different scaling numbers. You might want to just break out a tape measure measure vertical height on your body for both those parts, allowing for padding and such.

Well I've had a go at a shoulder at +10% I think it was and the size is a little small. So I'm turning the first build into a bust. I adapted a chest from a 3d file of a marine I butchered then scaled it off the shoulders. As in proportional to the shoulder size. Unfortunately now the helmet will be only 160mm wide for this bust. But anyway, it'll give me something to work off.

Judge said:
Well I've had a go at a shoulder at +10% I think it was and the size is a little small. So I'm turning the first build into a bust. I adapted a chest from a 3d file of a marine I butchered then scaled it off the shoulders. As in proportional to the shoulder size. Unfortunately now the helmet will be only 160mm wide for this bust. But anyway, it'll give me something to work off.

The shoulder looks like it turned out pretty well other than the scaling at least. Good job. I would take a measurement of your arm from elbow to the op of your shoulder and then add about 4 inches for the next one. Although, you probably will be able to estimate it better based on what you made already.

Any chance you could post more pics of the shoulder?

Shoulder1.jpg
Shoulder2.jpg
Shoulder3.jpg

I'm happy with how it turned out.

Samuray this looks great, I am really looking forward to the rest coming into shape. You're doing an excellent job.

Samuray said:
How tall are you? I don't think the 282mm is going to work. I'd go for 260 mm at the biggest.

Your conversion kit may not work on this. I didn't scale the original model to any specific size. The scaling method they use is based on the models being scaled originally to the same size. I just kind of started working on it and didn't ever pay attention to the size. So, the shoulder and the helmet might have different scaling numbers. You might want to just break out a tape measure measure vertical height on your body for both those parts, allowing for padding and such.

I'm 6'4" and so far the shoulder is coming out great. The conversion kit is based on this image:

My shoulder WIP:

The proportions are looking spot on right now. I have my first shoulder halfway finished.

I'll post some WIP photos when I get to work.

If your Pep is built proportionally, then a reference image like this and the Conversion Kit will keep everything in scale. Helm with be the proper scale to the shoulders and so on. But you are right it may not fit a normal human frame.

Are you guys going to slush cast or fiber glass?

chwbcc said:
I'm 6'4" and so far the shoulder is coming out great. The conversion kit is based on this image:

My shoulder WIP:

The proportions are looking spot on right now. I have my first shoulder halfway finished.

I'll post some WIP photos when I get to work.

If your Pep is built proportionally, then a reference image like this and the Conversion Kit will keep everything in scale. Helm with be the proper scale to the shoulders and so on. But you are right it may not fit a normal human frame.

Are you guys going to slush cast or fiber glass?

The models were built seperately. So the same scaling number won't work for them. If I get some extra time, I can load up the models into the same file and make the proportional to the picture. It might not be until next week sometime.

Samuray said:
The models were built seperately. So the same scaling number won't work for them. If I get some extra time, I can load up the models into the same file and make the proportional to the picture. It might not be until next week sometime.

These pictures should give you an idea of the differences in scales. This is what the two OBJs look like when loaded up into the same file. I don't have time to get you anything better to get you an idea of how to fix the scale, but I would say that you should at least put your helmet down to 260-270mm. The picture of me with the helmet on is with the helmet scaled to 272mm (10% below the original scale). It wouldn't match me on the scale of your picture above, but since you're about 6 inches taller than me, it should work for you.

Shoulder-Helmet-Comparison.jpg Shoulder-Helmet-Comparison2.jpg

Your should looks to be at the right scale though.

Samuray said:
These pictures should give you an idea of the differences in scales. This is what the two OBJs look like when loaded up into the same file. I don't have time to get you anything better to get you an idea of how to fix the scale, but I would say that you should at least put your helmet down to 260-270mm. The picture of me with the helmet on is with the helmet scaled to 272mm (10% below the original scale). It wouldn't match me on the scale of your picture above, but since you're about 6 inches taller than me, it should work for you.

Shoulder-Helmet-Comparison.jpg Shoulder-Helmet-Comparison2.jpg

Your should looks to be at the right scale though.

Cool thanks, I've really been thinking about the whole scaling process... Forgive me as I think out loud.

If I take a reference picture like the one I posted above. I measure the height of the Marine in the photo in centimeters and then measure my height in centimeters, I should be able to calculate a direct scale ratio.

My height is 6'4" = 193cm

Photo height is 21.20cm

I add in a 9 CM Variance to account for padding and shrinkage of the Pep/Fiber glass processes.

My final height is 203cm

if I divide 203/21.20 this equals the scale of the drawing to my actual size.

The photo is roughly 1/10 of my actual size.

Now all I have to do is measure the other body parts and scale the appropriately.

The helmet is 3cm in the drawing so to make it fit me in real life I need to scale it up 10 times then multiply it by 10 again to get the height of the part in millimeters.

For me the height of the Helm is 286mm (this isn't exactly 300mm because in my Conversion Kit I round up to avoid all the different confusing numbers)

So now I open your helm in Pepakura and adjust the Height to the scaled measurements I have and the software adjusts the scale properly to fit proportionally to my Height.

It shouldn't really matter if they were created at different times or to different scale. So long as the piece is proportional to itself. Meaning, the eyes are proportional to the Beak to the ears to the head lamp. If all those parts are built proportionally the piece will scale properly.

Now say you create another piece like a thruster pack, so long as all the details are in the correct proportions on the piece It will scale properly using the Conversion Kit. Because the height is determined my Pepakura not by the size you created it.

OK enough Rambling. I am very much enjoying your work! I have finished my first shoulder and it looks AMAZING! At first glance it does look rather big but when I look back at the reference it looks perfect.

I am working on some Legs as well they will be my first attempt at rendering a model into a Pep. But first I have to finish my daughter's MC! HOT PINK Yeah Baby!

Space Marine Shoulder Pep'd

chwbcc said:
Cool thanks, I've really been thinking about the whole scaling process... Forgive me as I think out loud.

If I take a reference picture like the one I posted above. I measure the height of the Marine in the photo in centimeters and then measure my height in centimeters, I should be able to calculate a direct scale ratio.

My height is 6'4" = 193cm

Photo height is 21.20cm

I add in a 9 CM Variance to account for padding and shrinkage of the Pep/Fiber glass processes.

My final height is 203cm

if I divide 203/21.20 this equals the scale of the drawing to my actual size.

The photo is roughly 1/10 of my actual size.

Now all I have to do is measure the other body parts and scale the appropriately.

The helmet is 3cm in the drawing so to make it fit me in real life I need to scale it up 10 times then multiply it by 10 again to get the height of the part in millimeters.

For me the height of the Helm is 286mm (this isn't exactly 300mm because in my Conversion Kit I round up to avoid all the different confusing numbers)

So now I open your helm in Pepakura and adjust the Height to the scaled measurements I have and the software adjusts the scale properly to fit proportionally to my Height.

It shouldn't really matter if they were created at different times or to different scale. So long as the piece is proportional to itself. Meaning, the eyes are proportional to the Beak to the ears to the head lamp. If all those parts are built proportionally the piece will scale properly.

Now say you create another piece like a thruster pack, so long as all the details are in the correct proportions on the piece It will scale properly using the Conversion Kit. Because the height is determined my Pepakura not by the size you created it.

OK enough Rambling. I am very much enjoying your work! I have finished my first shoulder and it looks AMAZING! At first glance it does look rather big but when I look back at the reference it looks perfect.

I am working on some Legs as well they will be my first attempt at rendering a model into a Pep. But first I have to finish my daughter's MC! HOT PINK Yeah Baby!

Space Marine Shoulder Pep'd

That shoulder looks awesome! I can't wait to make my own. I was just thinking about doing the same method you just said (scaling by using the picture). It makes sense and I guess the 280 isn't that much bigger than the 272 that I have my buddy's scaled to and he's 6'2" versus your 6'4". I also finally got back home to see him and have him try on the helmet. I'd say it looks pretty close to scale. At least it will when he has the shoulders and everything on.

One thing I'd suggest with the scaling method though (if you haven't already done so), is to blow up the picture a bunch. The smaller the picture is, the more the tiniest of miscalculations is going to show up.

EDIT: I just noticed the picture in your gallery of the picture you printed it out and it looks like it's as big as it'll get on the page. I'm going to leave the above line in though, just in case anyone else is looking through this and uses the same idea for something else.

It kind of sucks to get beat when it comes to making this stuff. Oh well, at least I know that someone is using it and I have evidence of how good it can look before I put it all together :)

Oh. One more thing. When you build your helmet, I've noticed that it looks better when you place your face a lot closer to the eye holes than where it would normally sit on your head. So, when you get down to the final stages where you pad it, make sure you pad the back more than the sides and top. If you don't, it'll look especially awkward from the side.

Samuray said:
It kind of sucks to get beat when it comes to making this stuff. Oh well, at least I know that someone is using it and I have evidence of how good it can look before I put it all together :)

Hey, you get all the credit for the great files, man! If it weren't for you we wouldn't be building anything remotely close to these awesome Peps.

Samuray said:
Oh. One more thing. When you build your helmet, I've noticed that it looks better when you place your face a lot closer to the eye holes than where it would normally sit on your head. So, when you get down to the final stages where you pad it, make sure you pad the back more than the sides and top. If you don't, it'll look especially awkward from the side.

This weekend I am going really make a strong push on my Daughter's MC armor. I hope to have the whole right side Pep'd and fiber glassed. If I have enough time I am going to start my Space Marine Helm too. I have some old construction helmets and I was trying to think of a way to install the head gear from them into the Helm.

I'll keep everyone here up to speed on the WIP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back