Beaky Space Marine Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. I'm back... kinda. Finals are over, but I still have a lot of stuff going on. Hopefully I can shoot out some updates after the 1st.

Samuray said:
Alright. I'm back... kinda. Finals are over, but I still have a lot of stuff going on. Hopefully I can shoot out some updates after the 1st.

Awesome, I have Pep'd the chest and I am trying to fiberglass it and what might help are some supports or braces that run inside to help support the shape.

Also the ring around the collar would work better if it was a full ring instead of two half circles. The joint is really unstable, so anything you can do to re-enforce that would be helpful when you try to build yours.

I should get more finished tonight and this weekend. I hope you did well on finals and I can't wait to see more of your 3d work here!

Last edited by a moderator:
When cutting it out, would extra tabs be able to be manually cut onto the halves so they could be joined together? Could always cut & seperate when the glassing is done.

Although it is very rounded so supports may be the way to go also.

The weather here is kinda crazy, either it's raining or it's too hot, but I have everything glassed & am now starting on a second, stronger layer on certain pieces.

Helmet, arms, shoulders & thighs are ready for sanding & bodyfiller stage.

Judge said:
When cutting it out, would extra tabs be able to be manually cut onto the halves so they could be joined together? Could always cut & seperate when the glassing is done.

Although it is very rounded so supports may be the way to go also.

The weather here is kinda crazy, either it's raining or it's too hot, but I have everything glassed & am now starting on a second, stronger layer on certain pieces.

Helmet, arms, shoulders & thighs are ready for sanding & bodyfiller stage.

I've nearly given up on my chest piece... The glassing process was a nightmare. I had to walk away from it and think about it, luckily It magically worked out. The piece was extremely warped, but I put it on a hand truck to get it out of the way and gravity pulled it back into place... The chest was firm but I guess it wasn't completely cured and so it settled slowly into place and then cured. The God emperor was looking out for me I guess! :lol

In the mean time (between cursing at my near failure on the chest) I have been playing with Maya and I have started to think of ways to add in supports to hold the shape of a piece.

I haven't come up with any solid ideas but I think Peping a substructure first similar to the Black Templar costumes (wood substructure) and then using that to hold the chest or shoulders is position while they dry.

What do you think?

chwbcc said:
I've nearly given up on my chest piece... The glassing process was a nightmare. I had to walk away from it and think about it, luckily It magically worked out. The piece was extremely warped, but I put it on a hand truck to get it out of the way and gravity pulled it back into place... The chest was firm but I guess it wasn't completely cured and so it settled slowly into place and then cured. The God emperor was looking out for me I guess! :lol

In the mean time (between cursing at my near failure on the chest) I have been playing with Maya and I have started to think of ways to add in supports to hold the shape of a piece.

I haven't come up with any solid ideas but I think Peping a substructure first similar to the Black Templar costumes (wood substructure) and then using that to hold the chest or shoulders is position while they dry.

What do you think?

sounds like an interesting proposal,.. I'll play around in c4d (my modeler of choice) see what I come up w/ also

Out of curiousity, are you still only taping the pep? Tape won't add any strength to the joins, they'll still be able to bend. Glue might be the answer.

Is there any flat edges on the bottom of the pieces? I'm referring to joining them both together, back & front, then try & sit them flat. That way when they try & collapse downwards, you'll have the card's strength to support them. If you do both halves seperately, then lay flat on the "join" they don't have any vertical support, if you know what I mean.

Of course I may be misunderstanding something also.

Judge said:
Out of curiousity, are you still only taping the pep? Tape won't add any strength to the joins, they'll still be able to bend. Glue might be the answer.

Is there any flat edges on the bottom of the pieces? I'm referring to joining them both together, back & front, then try & sit them flat. That way when they try & collapse downwards, you'll have the card's strength to support them. If you do both halves seperately, then lay flat on the "join" they don't have any vertical support, if you know what I mean.

Of course I may be misunderstanding something also.

I think you understand. I am still using only tape and it actually works better than the glue, my shoulder was glued three different ways, Glue stick, Super glue and hot glue. (It's what I had at the time) and the tape is actually holding together the best. But you're right is it a bit flexible. That's why I'm trying to glass it in stages. I thought glassing either the shoulders or the bottom would be best. But not I think I should have done the back center and worked my my around to the front.

I did join them together but the weight of the paper and the tape don't stay in place. They sag. And if I didn't use the glue this might solve part of the weight problem, but I don't think the collar area could be supported but just glue and card stock.

Another issue I think I am having with the piece, and it's my not Samuray's files, I didn't Pep the entire arm sockets. My fault really but in the end I knew I was going to need larger holes so I could pull the piece on like a shirt. So I didn't pep the arm sockets completely, I think I left off the two rows of smaller edge pieces, and I Pep'd the complete bottom but I cut about and inch off of it so it would fit over my shoulders.

I'll post some Pics later today after I get the kids to Day Camp, and hopefully I will have more of th piece glassed.

fair play this is one hell of a thread!

right this is the low down here...2009 games day i go dressed as a cadian tank commander (terrible costume...way too low key...i looked like i was just wearing a lot of tan with a few badges on my chest :pi think most people didnt even realise i was in costume) and i bump into the guy there as a space wolf terminator...we get to talking and bassically ..games day this year (2010 :p) i NEED to go in an SM...its either a grey knight (a LOT more detail work...not really my bag) or my prefered project...a dark angel...seen as my band is call watching angels fall i think its quite appropriate...and then it hits me.....it i make it a dark angel i can use the robes to cut down on my need to do a lot of detail work and more importantly the robes close with a rope (like a monk) so i can do without the damn crotch plate which in my experiance of costumes even the smallest plate in that area impedes you motability, so i can drop the crotch which should make moving around and posing and standing around for periods of time easier, then i brainstorm up the hydration system for it (built in hydropack of squash...again in my costuming experiance regular fluid intake is a necesity...my first ever troop in much lighter armour than this ended in me seeing spots for days cause of dehydration) then i spitball an idea for some random LED's to make it a bit more flashy, then i sketch up a plan for a speaker system....all that was left was the main, most important thing...i had NO idea how to build armour like this...im used to flat metal plates and small sholders...and this blew my mind...

i LOVE you for making this possible for everyone on the forum! you have litterally made me possibly the happiest gamer in wales..wait till my local GW finds out about this man! could have a full command squad of dark angels for games day this year! :p

so in closing....thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much

dont mean to gush...i sound like im twelve haha

nice one man...youve truly made the begining of 2010 awesome for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back