Binarycode's Armor (wip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryCode

Jr Member
I didn't really keep you guys up to date, but I've almost finished both gauntlets. Instead of making a mold of the first one, I just pepped the second glove and built it from scratch. They're resinned, bondo'ed and painted.

Here's a pic:

IMG_1150.jpg

The one on the right is still drying, but it's about a milimeter or two smaller then the other one. My armor progress is going perfect and, to be honest, it's a bit easier than I had expected. Thanks to everyone who helped me so far, I'll keep updating as I go.

All constructive criticism is appretiated.

I did the bondo with one hand, so it dried up pretty quickly. When my left hand fully heals, the rest of the armor will be twice as smooth as that.

Lol yes he did spay the scissors but that shouldnt affect them too much, and nice work but it does look like a lot of paint but i dont know it could be that it is still drying.

Spawn Camp3r said:
oops you sprayed the scissors :(
Aww S***! :oops:

Oh well at least I re-bondoed and painted the gloves (They're still drying). I've also managed to get started on my helmet:

IMG_1153.jpg

Sorry, the pic is a bit blurry and the helmet won't balance itself perfectly. I'll put up a new pic when I've fully pepped it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, but one thing... sand sand sand and sand some more! I know it's a total pain, but you'll be happier with your end result, trust me. I know my helmet could use a bit more sanding, so it's best to make sure it's all nice and smoothe *before* you paint. Just use some primer to see what you need to work on. Plus, it fills in some of the small gaps for you :D

They look very good, and your helmet seems to be going well. I also agree with Daftspartan 110% sanding is a pain in the arse, but well worth it. Sadly, I learned that lesson with my first helmet the hard way. Keep it up and I'm sure it will turn out great!

Alright, the helm pep is nearly finished. Here's a quick look:

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

The first picture shows the helmet in its normal way. I think that the thing gets a bit too fat near the jaw area. The second picture shows me squeezing the jaw part to make it a bit skinnier to look better.

I haven't added the "paper visor" area nor the supports yet, and I don't know if I should. I don't know if the helmet looks too big on me, but it just barely fits my head with about a couple centimeters of free space (which will be filled with resin and padding). My ears barely fit through the sides (I don't have big ears or anything, so I don't know how that became a problem), so I don't know if a smaller helmet would work. But then again, I am a tall and skinny guy, so it might be that my head looks a bit too big compared to the rest of my body.

Any suggestions on whether I should stick with this one or not?

So... it barely fits your head?
That might turn out to be a bit of a problem... The fiberglass will take up a little space, but the issue is being able to put in padding and still have your head fit in it. Do you think there's room?

Did you scale it up at all? I did that same helmet and the first one was too small, I could put it on but I had to bend the paper just to get it on. You would be better off scaling it up a bit. It sucks now that you've already glued everything, I know how you feel. Also, use the supports, they kind of widen the bottom out to make it easier to get your noggin in.

If it barely fits your head i would recomend re-doing it with 300lb cardstock.
And fold it perfect, so that you wont need to work harder on it at the bondo stage.

-FSS

I think I wasn't able to type cleary or something. The helmet fits perfectly, when it is on, I have a couple of centimeters of free space inside it (My skin doesn't touch the paper or anything). It's just that I have to get my ears to fold through. Other than that, I have plenty of comfortable, free space within the helmet. My concern isn't that it's not big enough, in fact, I can gurantee that this helmet will not be too small when it is done. My concern is that the helmet might look a bit too large.

Sorry for any confusion. Since you guys are worried about it being too small, I guess it doesn't look too big. I think I might go ahead and resin this.

Again, I just want to emphasize the fact that there is a lot of free space within the helmet.

Edit: Should I get a side-view picture to make it easier for you guys to tell? I mean, you're the pros, and I think that it would be better for me if you were 100% sure of its size as well.

Here's a couple of new pics with me wearing a mask under the helmet:

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

It still fits my head with a tiny bit of free room left (about 1-2cm), and the mask itself is pretty thich, so I think that I will use it as under armor for my head. But I still think that the helmet is a bit too big...

Is the helmet a good size? Or is it just me who thinks that it's a bit too large?

Not bad, but I think you should use cardstock instead of paper, it wont warp and you will just have overall better armor.

I don't think it looks too big. Remember that the helmet is scaled in proportion with the rest of the armor and once your chestpiece and arms are done the helmet won't look so big. Great job by the way! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back