Blue Screen Madness!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit your comp hard with a full combo AVG/Malwarebytes/Spybot S&D scan and follow up with a hijackthis.exe to look at what else is messing with your standard system settings.

Do you have the URLs for those sites? I already have AVG, so I just need the rest of those.

a quick word of warning if you are to do any form of major change Make a backup of everything you want to keep onto and external hardrive/usb/cd/dvd before continuing to prevent any loss of work
another alternative to see this problem as is a sign or an excuse to upgrade your computer to a monster machine
I have alot of CD's and DVDs and stuff to back up my stuff. Unfortunately, I don't really have the money to get me a good machine.

-Pony

First of all, disable the Automatic Restart on Errors option

1. Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.
  2. In the Control Panel window, open System. Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is setup, you may not see the System icon. To correct this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.
  3. In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
  4. Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.
  5. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
  6. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.
  7. Click OK in the System Properties window.
  8. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary.
Then post here the error or screenshot of your BSOD.

Good lux

Well, I got the blue screen again today, but I finally got some info.

Here is what I wrote down:

Driver IRQL No-Less-Or-Equal

Smserial.sys

That's all I could write down before the screen turned off.

-Pony

that driver is for a modem Motorola, update the driver if you're using windows 7, or remove the modem and the driver

Any way you can tell me how to remove it?

-Pony

Open your computer's Control Panel, go to your System settings then go to Device Manager, find the Motorola driver and tell it to remove it after it's removed you can either keep it that way or re-install the driver. After all your PC problems and once you can Defragment your Hard Drive and if you get a BSOD after this I would put the PC out of it's misery and just get another one.

I uninstalled it, but when I restarted my computer it said it was reinstalled. I also had the option of disabling it.

Do I disable it? And also, will it affect my internet connection?

-Pony

Not quite sure what it is but you said when your on the Internet it crashes, which browser are you using (IE,Mozilla,etc,etc)? It looks like it could be a hardware issue but I found this article on a similar issue another person was having.

Also if you in need for a good virus protection go here: Download Free Trials of Norton Security Software | Norton, if you decide to download it I got a legit 1 year serial subscription if your interested shoot me a PM.

It just depends on how you connect to the internet. If you are using a router and are hooked up via a lan cable, then disabling the modem should not effect your ability to connect to the internet. When you go into the system under the control panel, you should be able to get the model of the modem, and then search for drivers using google, or the manufactures website. Updating the file should solve the issue. If all else fails you can always do a full format and fresh install. If you get the BSOD again, you may try hitting scroll lock on the keyboard to freeze the screen and get the rest of the information off. Good luck!

Well, this sucks. If I disable the modem, I can't get back on the internet.

Not quite sure what it is but you said when your on the Internet it crashes, which browser are you using (IE,Mozilla,etc,etc)?
I use AOL.

If you are using a router and are hooked up via a lan cable, then disabling the modem should not effect your ability to connect to the internet.
I use a dial up connection.

Now, I would like to know if this modem can harm my system becuase of all of the crashes. If it's not, then I can live with it because I don't have money to spare for a new system.

Would the solution be solved if I uninstall my ISP app, remove the modem, and re-install it? because I have two that are available to me. The Standard Modem, and the Motorola Fax Modem.

-Pony

Talk with your ISP support people, cause them have tens of thousands clients, I'm sure thay met this problem not once in the past. And then they definitely know the solution.

first and foremost... how old is the computer? what operating system is it (xp,vista,windows7)? when was the last time you updated? what programs do you open to cause the blue screen of death or is it during startup?

edit: wait wait wait... your on the internet and it dies? like blue screen or the internet turns off those are two separate things... so heres what i will ask for more confirmation...

What web browser are you useing? google chrome? mozzilla firefox? or internet explorer? those are the three major internet browsers that we are dealing with here. what one is yours.

heres the simplest fix. if you are running internet explorer for your default internet browser... stop now and install firefox or google chrome. if those also give you blue screen of death it is not the internet or browser.

how old is the computer? what operating system is it (xp,vista,windows7)?
It's a couple of years old. The OS is a Vista.

what programs do you open to cause the blue screen of death or is it during startup?
It only happens when I'm on the net.

What web browser are you useing? google chrome? mozzilla firefox? or internet explorer?
I use AOL for my internet, but my computer has Internet Explorer.

The blue screen said something about the Smserial.sys. one of the guys here said that it had something to do with the motorola modem. I checked it and it said it was working perfectly.

-Pony

ok... is this a laptop or a tower desktop?

smserial.sys is a modem issue for some laptops. it can be fixed but not in a way you like... alot of smserial.sys messages are bad... but some can be fixed with an update to the windows vista updates.

one other idea is dont use internet explorer anymore and download google chrome or firefox and use them .. if the issue happens again you may need to use the option i am listing below.

if you have the time and cash for it is buy an external harddrive and transfer your files off the computer and then reinstall the computer.
or install a windows 7 operating system that fixes almost every issue but still move your files to an external harddrive.

yes my best guess with a tower desktop is that it is actually internet explorer.. try a different internet browser is my best recommendation. otherwise its the long way i described above.

Uninstall and reinstall both your browser and all relevant drivers (network cards, modems, routers, etc). Make sure you uninstall before reinstalling to help prevent dodgy registry keys from lurking on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back