Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebud

This entire project was started by me needing to make Christmas presents: Let me explain. I've always like small things like dolls, action figures, lego figures, etc. When Christmas came around I had been thinking about making felt dolls and finally decided to make one for a friend I would be visiting before Christmas. That's when I built Mini-Lord Shaxx.
image4.jpg

Sure when I look back at him I see things I could improve on, but both of us loved him and I decided it's time to make more. I'm making two this time: One for Dragon Den Cosplay, and another for Miles Luna since I'm planning on meeting him at C2E2. Dragon's doll is going to be a mini-version of his original ODST build Captain Dragon. Miles's doll will obviously be Felix, the smart mouthed mercenary he voices in Red vs Blue.
image0.jpg
image1.jpg
image3.jpg

Tonight I have the parts cut out for Felix's head and body. Once I put them together I'll get started on detailing his head and getting patterns ready for his armor. I'll be sure to share updates as I continue to make progress on these two​

Update

Today I started sewing the body and head pieces together. I decided to start by sewing the extra panel to the front of the helmet first to make it easier on me when it came to stitching the entire thing together. I liked the look and simplicity of the whip stitch and it's simple for people like me who have no real patience when it comes to sewing. I realize it went on a lil' bit crooked.
image7.jpg
image6.jpg
image8.jpg

image9.jpg
image11.jpg

After the head was finished I started painting on the details of his helmet. I put on white fabric paint first to help the orange pop and not bleed into the felt!
image5.jpg

I only managed to finish one arm of the body, but I'm already working on how I want to do his armor. I want to add a bit of a 3-D feature when it come's to Felix's chest plate since it's a triangular-prism. I'll be working on two prototypes:
1578719510192.png

Prototype 1: Try-hard
I sew together three small pieces of felt in the shape I want and stuff it with batting

Prototype 2: Lazy (Aka: Backup)
I glue felt pieces to a small piece of foam in the shape I want.​

Update 2

image13.jpg
1578977558470.png
image18.jpg

I cut out the pieces for Dragon Den's ODST. I wanted to add some 3D features so I wont have to paint in all the details. That's why I'm sewing on these 'cheek pannels' instead of painting them on

image14.jpg

Meanwhile I've been finishing with Felix's head and getting ready to stuff his body and attach the two parts together
image16.jpg

And I failed. At times like this I look back and see where I can improve. Turns out I didn't have his neck stuffed enough, but it was harder since his neck was attached by his head and not his body. I've adjusted my templates to fix this problem so I wont forget
image17.jpg

image15.jpg

I'm currently working on the back of his chest plate and then the front which I mentioned in the first update.
Stay Tuned!​

Update 3: ODST

image19.jpg
image20.jpg
image21.jpg

After a trip to the craft store I was ready to start Dragon Den's ODST. His armor has his a dragon theme which includes teeth on his visor and red eyes on the side of the helmet. I wasnt sure how I was going to accomplish putting the eyes on, but I think I did pretty good with what I came up with.

image22.jpg
image28.jpg

I used what I had left of my black felt and made as many body pieces as I could to save time with future dolls. I have to laugh at the visor for the ODST. The little notches look like eyebrows. :lol:

image23.jpg
image24.jpg

image26.jpg
image27.jpg

Just like Felix I used a white fabric paint base to help the acrylic look brighter on the dark felt. I think it turned out good and Dragon likes the look so far. Next step it to finish the body and get it attached!​

Last edited:
Update 4

image29.png

It's been a long time since I've touched these guys, but I have done a significant amount of work; including adding their chest pieces

image30.png
image34.png

image35.png
image39.png

Each of their backs have their own unique design based off of what I could do in such a small scale with the felt

image31.png
image37.png
image36.png

I do have to admit that some of the hardest parts were designing the chest plates and then for the shoulder pads which will be covered in the next post. The H4 Soldier Chest Plate's triangular design was something I wanted to try and recreate, but it still turned out semi flat

image32.png
image33.png
image38.png

Before I went on to the ODST I painted on Felix's markings in white fabric paint. As I said before this is to help the orange acrylic paint pop.

image41.png
image42.png
image45.jpg

Moving onto the ODST I tried tinkering around with different shapes of felt to get the chest shape just right. I decided to add two mini nylon straps to add an extra bit of texture and detail. I ended up gluing them on but it wasn't until I was adding the chest piece that I realized I could have sewn them to the additional shoulder straps

image43.jpg
image47.jpg

Speaking of texture, I decided to add the ammo pouches on Felix's chest plate by making them out of foam. It took me a while to glue these together and then to the doll, but it was worth it.
If the chest piece wasn't enough of a target for squishing, the soft separated parts add more stimulation
(I keep finding myself squishing them whenever I have him on my desk)

image46.jpg
image40.png

Lastly I finished the ODST chest piece. Unlike the nylon straps I actually sewed on the color blocks in the center piece. Dragon Den has a dragon on his chest piece so I copied it to the best of my ability

image44.jpg
image48.jpg

image49.jpg
image50.jpg

Either way I managed to get a lot of work done and am about 45-50% done with these dolls

image52.jpg
image51.jpg

image53.jpg
image54.jpg

Update 5: Finishing the ODST

image69.jpg
image65.jpg

I made quick work of the final touches of DragonDen's ODST. I started with the the shoulders, adding a few different layers to make the area seem interesting. The smaller parts were glued together.

image64.jpg
image63.jpg
image58.jpg

Next was the gauntlets. This is a simple piece of fabric that could have parts added or painted on. To make sure the part wouldn't moved part of the fabric was glued on and then the open ends were sewn shut.

image62.jpg

There was also the addition of the belt which included another spare piece of nylon, two foam ammo pouches, a butt plate, and a codpiece/cover.

image70.jpg
image61.jpg

The leg armor was attached similarly to how the gauntlets were added. Since the legs are shorter the legs pieces (Thighs, Shins, and Boots) are a single unit.

image60.jpg

image55.jpg
image56.jpg

Needless to say Dragon Den loved his Felt Doll.

image57.jpg

Mission Accomplished

Update 6: Finishing Felix

It's almost been a year and I never truly finished this thread. I'm about to start another doll, but posting about it would ruin the surprise I have in store for my friend. If I blabbed about it to you, please keep it quiet

Alright lets get to it! I find it hilarious that I chose to simplify Felix's shoulder pads by turning them into coffin shapes (If you know, you know)
I try my best not to make these too complicated, but I can get carried away.
image68.jpg
image67.jpg
image66.jpg

Unlike with Dragon's doll I used less glue with Felix. I used it to keep things in place like the gauntlets. just one dab was enough to keep them from slipping off, though I think I'll sew them on the next time around, though with parts like the butt plate I just glued them on. Did I mention I finished him a week before C2E2...

image71.JPG
image75.JPG

Once again I repeat the steps of putting down white fabric paint before painting over with orange acrylic

image76.JPG

Finally he is done and ready to go to his new home! (Sorry for the crusty carpet)

image77.JPG
image78.JPG

Meeting Miles Luna was an absolute treat. He loved getting his mini-me and meeting us. I cant wait to see him again once C-19 is handled and conventions come back.

image79.JPG
image80.PNG

Mission Accomplished

I love small things like this and this was one of my favorite threads to see updated, and am happy to see the finished product of little felix! It turned out great and am happy you were able to hand him off. I cant wait to see the next build!

This entire project was started by me needing to make Christmas presents: Let me explain. I've always like small things like dolls, action figures, lego figures, etc. When Christmas came around I had been thinking about making felt dolls and finally decided to make one for a friend I would be visiting before Christmas. That's when I built Mini-Lord Shaxx.
View attachment 282864
Sure when I look back at him I see things I could improve on, but both of us loved him and I decided it's time to make more. I'm making two this time: One for Dragon Den Cosplay, and another for Miles Luna since I'm planning on meeting him at C2E2. Dragon's doll is going to be a mini-version of his original ODST build Captain Dragon. Miles's doll will obviously be Felix, the smart mouthed mercenary he voices in Red vs Blue.
View attachment 282865View attachment 282866View attachment 282867
Tonight I have the parts cut out for Felix's head and body. Once I put them together I'll get started on detailing his head and getting patterns ready for his armor. I'll be sure to share updates as I continue to make progress on these two​
You're really good at sewing! I am presently learning.

I love small things like this and this was one of my favorite threads to see updated, and am happy to see the finished product of little felix! It turned out great and am happy you were able to hand him off. I cant wait to see the next build!
Thank you so much. I feel so bad knowing I left this for a year. Sewing is tricky and takes a lot of patience so I dont do it often, but I'm trying to practice more by making these dolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back