Brainstorming: How to get a weapon to strap on to your back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about this issue for a while but you should be able to use post screws and some subtle holes on the weapon its self and it'll hang on there pretty sturdy

Well, if you can't find electronics cheaper than us, I don't know. I think about 90% of the electronics in my parts box is from Asia :)

I'm not sure actually... are you guys making fun of me? Using electromagnets is rather a problem than a solution :-D

No, there won't be enough space in a weapon model, you'll have to put the magnets into the chest piece of your armour. Along with the batteries, which are going to be HUGE.

For example: The electromagnets I have here need 12 V and have a power of 3.8 W. They're supposed to hold 100 N (that's about 10 kg with Earth gravity), but with even a tiny amount of material in between it's going to be a lot less. But you'll need at least two to prevent the rifle from twisting anyways. Lets say these two are enough to hold the rifle, that means 310 mA per magnet, 620 mA total. For 12 V, you'll need 10 NiMH cells, not sure if there's room for size D, so lets take size C instead. These things weigh maybe 60 or 70 g each and have a charge of around 4000 mAh, which would give you a total additional weight of close to one kg to carry around and a runtime of maybe five hours. After that, the rifle will just fall off, unless you have a backup system in place to hold or catch it (which in turn would make the whole magnet thing obsolete). I'm not really sure though if NiMH cells can actually deliver that current, I think the limit is about half an Ampere.
You should also keep in mind that you might end up carrying one hell of a magnetic field around with you. These things can also get HOT (like "you'll burn your fingers" hot!), so you'll probably have to either think of a really good way to cool them, or use completely oversized ones at a fraction of their potential (needless to say, that would mean a further increase in weight and price).

Putting the magnet into the armour piece will also require the switch to be there, which makes things a little complicated. I haven't really thought about that yet. Magnetic switches (reed switches, hall-sensors) are probably not the best choice, because there's going to be interference from the magnets.

Electromagnets don't require a tutorial. Just hook them up to the right voltage and you're done. Polarisation is irrelevant, unless you need the field to go a specific way, which is not the case if you just want to grab onto a metal plate.

Well, with the explanation and warning, looks like I'm gonna go with the "Magnets and Slits" idea I came up with. My brother told me I'd need an AC and a DC to power a big magnet, I don't expect to look like Tony Stark carrying a car battery around at a Con. So, I think the "Magnets and Slits" is easier :p

Well, with the explanation and warning, looks like I'm gonna go with the "Magnets and Slits" idea I came up with. My brother told me I'd need an AC and a DC to power a big magnet, I don't expect to look like Tony Stark carrying a car battery around at a Con. So, I think the "Magnets and Slits" is easier :p

AC is not necessary, DC works just as well. Both come with certain advantages and drawbacks, but none of these are relevant here, I think.

The main problem I see with using magnets is this, aside from water and dust I don't know of anything that can damage electronics more than a magnet (well, maybe a hammer. But going on accidental damage magnet is still up there). Yeah, it would look and work great to stick some magnets in my armor and weapons so they can grab each other. But I don't want to deal with it if I'm going to accidentally destroy somebody's camera (or worse) because they got too close to the magnets; something I could definitely see happening at Con's where you're lucky to walk two feet before having to sidestep someone.
With the electro-magnets this may not happen if you can specifically contain the affected area and shut off (and keep off) the field as soon as the parts have separated.

...on a side note..
I don't expect to look like Tony Stark carrying a car battery around at a Con.
This ^ would be the easiest costume ever! Someone should totally do this! but, just stay safe...

EDIT: I am sorry for the necro, I just noticed how old the last post was.

This really isn't that hard of a problem. There are multiple things you could do. Velcro, anchoring system, magnets (which is the most practical), or a slid and lock system.

To be honest, mate, I really have yet to see one of these brainstorming threads that take more than a few minutes of basic thought.

Sorry to sorta necro here, (don't know how old a couple weeks is considered) But is damaging other peoples cameras or electronics with magnets a legitimate concern? That sounds like it could be serious, I'd be pissed if someone broke something of mine at the con.

I am planning to use magnets on mine, I already have 4 sets holding the chest and backpack together and they are tiny. Check these guys out Neodymium Magnet Discs, Rods, Blocks, Rings; Ferrite Bars it's where I got mine from for my Mark VI.
Thanks for the link. We sold this domain 3 years ago but you can still find us at: Indigo Neodymium Disc Magnets. FYI, the cost of nd magnets has skyrocketed in the last 2 months so I hope you still find us affordable & aren't put off by this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back