Build Thread - Coffee

Tyrgam3r

A dangerous build thread to start since I know how many of us are particular about our coffee.

Please feel free to reply with your favorite way to make this elixir of life.

The way I am posting about today is cold brew in my French Press. I usually go with regular drip coffee because mornings are hard in the winter but during the warmer months this is my preferred method!

20200421_212125.jpg

Step one is DO NOT USE PRE-GROUND COFFEE. I buy the biggest bag of whole beans at the grocery store and keep it in this tub with a scooper.

20200421_212950.jpg

Step two, break out the grinder. This one isn't anything fancy. Just the one my parents bought in the late 80s/early 90s. Some people are particular about their grind and use other grinder types but this one has served me well and was free. And I love free.

20200421_213109.jpg

Step three, coarsely grind. French presses need the coffee to be coarsely ground. I am honestly not too sure if it affects the cold brew but it hasn't hurt anything yet.

20200421_213605.jpg

Step four, add coffee and water. I was originally gonna weigh it but I got distracted and forgot to write down weights. But I do it a 1:1 ratio of oz:cup. Idk if that math is right but basically for every oz of grounds, there is a cup of water. So 2 oz coffee grounds, 2 cups of water. I did four for today's cause that makes enough for a few mornings...but it basically completely fills my french press and some grounds spill out in the next step.

20200421_213834.jpg

Step five, get the grounds wet by stirring. I use a long wooden chopstick to get all the grounds wet. You can see the difference between this step and the previous.

Step six, no photo because I need to clean my fridge. But I put cling wrap on top of the French press and stick it in the fridge.

Step seven, wait. I do mine over night. This batch was made at like 9 pm/21:00. I think if you do it on the counter then it only takes a few hours but I have not tested it.

20200422_072952.jpg

Step eight, plunge, pour, and enjoy! I usually add a bit of milk so I am not drinking pure elixir cause then I can see sound and taste colors. But you do you. This made enough for a small travel mug and a mason jar worth of coffee.

20200422_073147.jpg
20200422_073112.jpg

I usually drink this in the summer and even add coffee ice cubes so it isn't watered down but you do you.

Please add your favorite way to brew!

P.S. yes, I am such a white girl that sometimes I drink it out of the mason jar with a straw if I am not going to work. Usually paired with avocado toast.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.