Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by Sandbagger, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Cheesy...yes but definitely in the realm of the "Blackwell".

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  2. PEPAKURA TURTLE

PEPAKURA TURTLE

Oh man.. everything has grown, like wow. The last time I was talking here was like, last year, and you were still on your Iron man costume… This build is amazing, just amazing

3. Sandbagger

Sandbagger Well-Known Member

Welcome back!! haven't heard from you in ages!

4. Sandbagger

I've now started cutting the formers for the cockpit. Looks like I'll be welding a steel box-frame inside to support the weight of the cockpit, occupant and to hang the nose from the front firewall. I also finished the nose intake grill.

YbErdFk.jpg

JoMAh7R.jpg

Meanwhile, the centre joystick arrived. It's pretty ballsy, a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Doesn't feel like a toy.

OrH3XbQ.jpg

As a side-project, trying to spread my productive time through the nights as well, I am making the flight suit, complete with helmet. I'm still waiting on our local law authorities for permission.permit for the sidearm.

This is a reference photo, not mine.
    63iccO7.jpg

Here's where I'm at with the helmet.

bOeEV68.jpg

To catch up with the full build and all the gritty details, come this way >>> Viper Build – Builds by Baz

TurboCharizard likes this.
  5. Sandbagger

This week the seat and the Wulfsberg radio for the starboard panel arrived.

XxoJffq.jpg

b2LXRXw.jpg

I've been playing with perspex in the oven, brought to temperature and pressed over a curved surface to practice for the visor when it comes to it.

opgL6aT.jpg

The helmet turned out to be a bit too fitting, leaving no room for padding so I increased the scale by 10 percent and did it again.

79Y7U95.jpg

I'm also starting on the flight suit vest, using materials I found in roadside dumpings.

a8F3dmJ.jpg

6. Sandbagger

When things go wrong...

7. Sandbagger

PerniciousDuke likes this.
  8. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Yikes, Australia has strict gun laws. I can only imagine the possible legal nightmares involving a prop, never mind something innocent as a Canon MF4320 Toner cartridge. Good thing you're playing it safe, but it sounds like even a partial gun prop could cause some difficulties in some places. Plan ahead I guess.

9. Sandbagger

While I've been waiting for steel, plywood and instruments for the Colonial MkII Viper build, I got busy making the helmet to suit.

Full build here.

uJFTLPB.jpg

h0fks91.jpg

OIgfuwN.jpg

xGrw61s.jpg

o1MMfXp.jpg

pMoKUNO.jpg

JkS35Ri.jpg

vGgwiTL.jpg

ZAYGiuX.jpg

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  10. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Dude, your helmet build is amazing. I checked out the link and never thought about using cement as a backing to the pep form for the visor.....dam that is genius!!!!! I am so stealing that technique......if I can figure out how to do it that is.

11. Sandbagger

^^^ Thanks mate. :D

s3OvdGO.jpg

YGaydP1.jpg

12. Sandbagger

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  13. Sandbagger

14. Sandbagger

Here's a shot of today's work on the cockpit. View from front to rear firewall.
    LOTS of space inside this thing!
    The central spar is not yet aligned, but once I've screwed all the formers down, it will be aligned with the module in front, then removed.

RskSLHa.jpg

15. Leiutenant Jaku

Leiutenant Jaku Jr Member

how does one have time to work this much on a project

16. Sandbagger

I squeeze in maybe a half hour on some afternoons after work, up to an hour. I do the less noisy stuff some nights after the kids are put to bed. I get two days off a fortnight and can spend up to a whole day on the project. That's all I get.

TurboCharizard likes this.
  17. Sandbagger

18. Leiutenant Jaku

Leiutenant Jaku Jr Member

Looks pretty heavy will there be wheels on it for moving around?
    Or do you plan on carrying it

19. Sandbagger

Yes I will have wheeled trolleys and lifting points for moving the modules into storage and transportation. The spacecraft is 8.4 metres long. It's going to be heavy no matter what. There's no getting around that. The trick is to make the modules in such a way that it is manageable.

20. Sandbagger

Started putting the three modules together and gluing in the foam blocks for sculpting.

Full update here.

BeW0uNt.jpg

Dirtdives likes this.
  21. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

WOW......this build is just Amazsballs!!!!! That is a hell of a lot of foam.

22. Sandbagger

Thanks champ!

Baz.

Dirtdives likes this.
  23. Sandbagger

24. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Looking noice! Is that expanding foam insulation in the seams on the nose tip?

25. Sandbagger

Similar. Expanding foam adhesive. I am looking into the insulation type to see it's adhesion properties, because it sure is cheaper!