Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Been doing some work in the cockpit fitting the instrument panels. Planning with cardboard, then transferring to ply once it's right.

WB3cBFw.jpg

5Y41KZv.jpg

RBuQHzM.jpg

vzVidVS.jpg

Full story here. Cockpit interior fit-out.

That darned red light!

Can't afford to buy it? FINE THEN! I'll MAKE it. Scaled using a screenshot of the original prop and a know item that I have, (red switch). Turned on the lathe from polycarbonate rod, details melted in with soldering iron, collar is the lid off my wood glue bottle. Drilled out for a globe. I'll paint it with a red permanent marker.

Original prop
HOtht9a.jpg

Let's go!
yfVAP2d.jpg

s1592hQ.jpg

iIKONjN.jpg

IvCZiaT.jpg

IGdWwzU.jpg

AdqdF7Y.jpg

75tC3tD.jpg

Czrx4wq.jpg

Last edited:
I've had no luck sourcing the panel from an old AMPEX VPR-80 video editing machine, so I've started to make it. A fellow overseas has been kind enough to run a ruler over his machine and send me the dimensions, so I've been hard at it in the shed tonight.

qYoEkh4.jpg

The large knob is the lid of a methylated spirits bottle with a steel plate glued to the top. The small knobs I turned from wood and painted up. The screens are clear perspex sheet and the large buttons are hand cut from opaque white perspex sheet. The red one is just coloured in with a permanent marker pen. The small buttons are dressed timber, cut and hand sanded into shape.

9rIv6xm.jpg

uQBL2yu.jpg

RYBIUzI.jpg

Full story here.

Cheers gang. :D

With new and unprecedented reference photos now made available to me, thanks to a secret benefactor, I have decided there are some angles,shapes and sizes I can't live with. So, I stripped the instrument panel out and fixed. Never be afraid to start over and strive for perfection!

I also trimmed an old parcel shelf out of a hatchback so size for a floor. Looks professional.

s5dS9tB.jpg

Ok6CIXc.jpg

And put it all back together again. :D

89yeOgN.jpg

The closest ammunition I could find to what seems to be agreed as the right one for the Viper, is a NATO 30mm cannon round with a 173mm long case.

I found a scrap piece of Oregon and hacked it square with one of my small knives. Metalwork lathes work OK on wood, lucky for me. I used a photograph of the NATO round and was able to guesstimate approximate dimensions, knowing the diameter of the projectile was 30mm. It looks good after a bit of paint. I’ll mask it off tomorrow and spray the bands on it. I’d still like to get hold of an inert round to compare it. Then to make about 30 more of them and find/make some link to hang them under the guns of the Viper.

pUIDKtv.jpg

jvPfEiZ.jpg

HRuvERi.jpg

nf8XadY.jpg

qdIoW8y.jpg

OQXbpek.jpg

ssVTXAs.jpg

Illuminated push-buttons.

I’m really worried that the push button banks sent via US postage last October, (2017) have been lost or stolen. I am making fake buttons to cover the shortfall. They are 19x19mm and have 18x18mm stickers to label them all.

Full build here.

yV3Aif6.jpg

UG9CP5h.jpg

Last edited:
How do you find such time to do the astonishing, over the top builds? You make my small builds look like child’s play. Amazing job so far this thing looks like it could dam well fly.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back