1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by Sandbagger, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Sandbagger

Sandbagger Well-Known Member

That's just it mate. Time. Time is everything. Without time, nothing exists. Without time, there is no start, no journey and no finish.

If I had the power over time, these builds would be done in a month. Most of my builds have historically taken years. As it is, once i have completed my day job and my responsibilities as a father, I get very little of this precious time to work on projects. It becomes a time management issue. With practice, the art of time management goes hand in hand with the actual art you are practicing.

If I get a day off, I use a lot of it for the noisy stuff with power tools etc. If I get a half hour free at the end of the working day, same same.
    At night, after the kids are all in bed and the kitchen is clean, I go into the shed and do the quiet stuff like electronics and cutting stuff with blades, etc, but no hammering or power tools. The drill press and the lathe are the only two I can use that are quiet enough not to annoy the neighbours.

Failing that, nights are spent drawing and planning, researching the craft and setting up for the next phase.

All the while, life gets in the way and CONSTANTLY interrupts the plan, especially when I'm on a roll. Frustrating, but another couple of big skills that have to be learned, practiced and developed are patience and determination.

2. Sandbagger

Thanks to the guys on OCAU, I was able to find a suitable dimmer for the AMPEX panel, (AKA weapon systems and fire control) and light it. As I couldn't source an AMPEX panel, I had to scratch build it from wood and plastic. Looks OK I suppose.

Thanks to a mate of mine, Andrew W, who replicated the gauges and digital dispay for me to print off on A4 paper and put lights behind it.

Full build here Mk II Viper cockpit interior fit-out.

2HzVJ3L.jpg

stspsIO.jpg

TvVtcG5.jpg

7sZNqFS.jpg

Km0BvX6.jpg

3. Sandbagger

Putting the cockpit back together with all the new lighting.

k4mrJR2.jpg

xw9DHOu.jpg

URA5Vyj.jpg

4. Sandbagger

Time has been difficult to juggle, but I managed to get a bit of work in on the project here and there.

I've started making link for the 30mm cannon ammunition so I can make up two belts of 15 for each wing.

BhUqmKv.jpg

mUZlDkL.jpg

IcnHmjZ.jpg

1WTeHbl.jpg

JrA5iFk.jpg

OPM2K1G.jpg

I've also finished bringing the interior walls up to the window sill so now I can bring the outer hull skin all the way up to meet them for an air-seal with the canopy frame.

Iguw91V.jpg

I've also started the ejector seat configuration, starting with a spacer box underneath to raise it and provide a base to build the rest of the unit from. I also cut the top of the seat off as they did with the original prop to allow for the headrest and integrated systems in the top of the seat.

dCwOEdr.jpg

6oMQOss.jpg

5. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

That cockpit looks so rad Baz!

Dirtdives and mblackwell1002 like this.
  6. Sandbagger

Thanks mate! :D

7. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

Any plans to put it up somewhere? Like a Sci Fi museum? This is really some top shelf work. (not that we would expect any less from you :D)

8. Sandbagger

I have my own plans for it, but will certainly be taking it along to Conventions as they eventuate in Australia. Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra probably.

9. Sandbagger

My shaping press worked for a few, but then it started distorting and I was constantly having to bash it back into shape. So, I went back to the drawing board and strengthened it with plate steel and welded another pipe inside the 40mm pipe to stop it from squashing. The results are much more consistent.

v8dVlCC.jpg

7jpaFoP.jpg

vSrZkjC.jpg

10. mkshane81

mkshane81

Absolutely amazing stuff Barry!

-Matt

11. Sandbagger

Thank you Matt. :D

Dirtdives likes this.
  12. Sandbagger

I decided to make the colours BSG accurate instead of real world accurate.

RhUwKLQ.jpg

13. Sandbagger

I wanted to at least make some attempt to make the back end of the rounds look like they have primers in them, so I used a 20mm spade bit to drill a hole and countersunk ring, then bashed in clout nails to be ground and polished later.

Z5PMZnm.jpg

qKXx6d0.jpg

gv4uIiJ.jpg

kQIoNk0.jpg

sFrLeAU.jpg

I also changed from rubbish pine to a hardwood made from half a dozen old rotten tree stakes. After sorting through them and cutting off the rotten half, I salvaged enough from the rubbish pile to turn a few more bullets. They turn much nicer.

pm7A8Lb.jpg

Full story on the ammo here Mk II Viper munitions

14. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

I would not want to get hit even by a glancing blow by one of these......scary looking ammo....AWESOME!!!!

15. Sandbagger

16. Sandbagger

17. Sandbagger

Back to working on the cockpit. These instrument side shelves require careful fabrication. Slowing down and actually bought dressed timber this time, instead of rough ply.

The shelves in the screen-used prop were vacuformed and textured plastic. I am thinking I can achieve the same using timber and sanding it smooth, then using hammer-finish paint to achieve similar texture.

smoY1Fv.jpg

K7UErXZ.jpg

3uorbmm.jpg

TurboCharizard and Dirtdives like this.
  18. Sandbagger

19. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

8914EA33-70D5-4E4A-BA3C-ECA57089BA8D.jpeg Caption should say ........ Eh, I dabble

mblackwell1002 and Dirtdives like this.
  20. Sandbagger

A dabbler I am... :D

After a colour correction, I moved onto the port side instrument shelf.

8MFEX8Z.jpg

vdN345I.jpg

CoT1bpa.jpg

yINBrCW.jpg

evdwL55.jpg

Some tweaking to do now to make the starboard shelf fit. There's a former block in the way of one of the protruding instruments. Job for another day. I think I might even have a little sleep tonight.

KNcqTum.jpg

21. Sandbagger

Starting the ejector seat configuration with a spacer box underneath to raise it and provide a base to build the rest of the unit from. I also cut the top of the seat off as they did with the original prop to allow for the headrest and integrated systems in the top of the seat. The padded cover just gets folded back and stitched behind the seat to dress it off.

4eqjPDW.jpg

Building the sides and top was tricky and a bit of trail and error. I only really had three half-decent photos to work from at different angles, but they were difficult to translate into shape and size with such limited views and details. I made a frame out of plywood which was pretty basic to back the seat and hug it's contours. Then I started from the top, as the pictures I have are of it are best from there. Working my way down, it was a bit of improvisation with limited materials, but I managed to find a happy approximation.

Again, I found it a big money saver to use cardboard first to freehand the shapes and fit, then transfer to half inch plywood once I had established the form. I'll add in small details later, but that's the main construction finished. It was quite a challenge.

oFNhyBc.jpg

0fb5dpW.jpg

5s0PDrZ.jpg

dqhSpdv.jpg

Full story here >> Mk II Viper cockpit interior fit-out.

Dirtdives likes this.
  22. Sandbagger

Cockpit construction complete. Just a bit of gap filling and some paint left now.

wa0Rjdc.jpg

nO4Riyd.jpg

8gB7hRW.jpg

a3uGwhO.jpg

23. Sandbagger

My friends Andrew W and David M have both been working hard with the graphic design, re-formatting and installing into the electronic equipment to go into the cockpit. I't's been an exciting day and we've got a lot done!

Full story here. >> Viper DRADIS and weapon systems screens

nPMpd4Z.jpg

9iMgNgd.jpg

3YHTHgQ.jpg

Jh2kuIK.jpg

Lieutenant Jaku and Dirtdives like this.
  24. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

I really 1/2 expect this thing to fly in the end!!!! Are you sure you'r not a ship designer for NASA?

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  25. Sandbagger

I'll take the job if it's on offer....