Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by Sandbagger, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Me TOO!!! I HATE the inconsistencies in movies and games. For example all the billion permutations of the mjolnir system. And all of starwars after disney consumed it. ........I'm ranting, sorry. Sore nerve.

But I am SOOO awe-inspired by what you're doing here, man. If we weren't separated by like, a billion miles, I'd recommend after this is done we get together and build a halo pelican! XD

2. ReClaimer8015

ReClaimer8015 Member

Disney had the guts to declare the many contributions of writers and artists to the expanded universe as being non-canon!
    They butchered all hopes to see many long awaited projects like Republic Commando 2 and other games! There were many book series cancelled!
    (Faces the gathering crowd)
    It was heresy!! ( Crowd cheers and chants the traitors shall be punished)

3. Sean Anwalt

BOOOO ON YOU, DISNEY!!!!! YOU MONEY-HUNGRY GLUTTONOUS SHAMEFUL CONGLOMERATION OF FATCAT JERKS WHO BRUSH ASIDE OTHER'S WORK TO BUILD YOUR OWN EMPIRE OF DECAY AND FILTH!!! BOOO ON YOU!!!!

EDIT: Thank you for the opportunity to rant.

4. ReClaimer8015

ReClaimer8015 Member

Well, ranting as a group is so much better than crying alone in your dark chamber of anger. The Mob welcomes everyone.

I am mostly annoyed when I can detect greedy moneymakers behind a franchise....

5. Sean Anwalt

Star wars was MY thing, man. I loved it! The potential it had, and the corroboration of all the book writersand fan fiction... I made 501st look like a bunch of fair-weather weekend warriors. It was great! Really was a story that you could draw inspiration from in a lot of ways! I obsessed over it!

then disney happened. dragged politics into it. had to make things different. their writers were money-hungry talent-less fools who grabbed at an opportunity before they were ready for it. and as a result we get: all that filth crammed into the media by marketers who only want to make billions. I have not seen star wars since the disney abomination, have not given a dime to them. "You should watch rogue one!" people would say, and then I'd be all like "No, you idiot, that's disney. Don't give them money or support because that's the only thing they care about and if you complain but keep going to the movies or purchasing the movies, you are giving them the only thing they pay attention to, and your complaints are meaningless! People! Don't support this! STOP! With all the energy of my soul I implore you to step away from the disney bull@#$% and cease funding them with you business! How great was it before disney!? Darth Vader, one of the greatest villains of all time! Now? Kylo renn or whatever, that millenial-based (another abomination) face-time hungry dork with terrible hair, no talent and (I guess???) daddy issues? BOOOOOO BOOOO BOOOO!!!!!!!!

disney: Stop.

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  6. ReClaimer8015

ReClaimer8015 Member

Well, I have nothing against changes and progress, but they were outright pandering to all sides. The younger audience and the nostalgia plagued old fans.

But they became inconsistent and illogical - in a universe which has facettes of fantasy more than being actual realistic, hard scifi. Emo Kylo and the Mary Sue problem was just icing on the cake.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  7. Sean Anwalt

Poison icing on a cake of dogsh..... maybe we should start a thread about how bad disney sucks...

But that would be against the ideals of the 405th...

Ugh. Nvm.

8. ReClaimer8015

ReClaimer8015 Member

What have i started?!
    Seems like I am thread derailer myself now!:eek:

I will give the thread back into the (jet slightly damaged) hands of Sandbagger where it belongs. Progress is awesome, the viper looks better from day to day! (y)

Edit: Sean Anwalt Might PM me if you want to continue this gossip about bad corporations ruining everything.....

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  9. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku Well-Known Member

drat I missed the ranting party

ReClaimer8015 and Dirtdives like this.
  10. Sandbagger

Sandbagger Well-Known Member

11. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Keeper of Con Lists

Perhaps the intake vents are more akin to ram-scoops that absorb interstellar matter and convert it to energy? They should close during battle conditions to prevent larger matter like debris that would damage the ship.

Sean Anwalt and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  12. Sandbagger

For now, I'm going to try making them as fitted radial louvres and see how I feel about it. If I don't like it, I will make the intakes spinning fans.

To create the angle I have screwed some large wood screws into the timber behind the blades, using them as elevation gauges and a stop to set the height, then screwed down the trailing edge of each blade. Later, I'll paint the backing board a mat black, so it looks like you are looking into a dark engine cavity through the gaps in the louvres. Subject to change of course. Let's see what happens.

QKDWjuO.jpg

sj2jffr.jpg

13. Sandbagger

Taking shape. Now to cut the middle out of the leading edge former.

aNrund2.jpg

14. Sandbagger

Not happy with the intakes.

I tried it. I don’t like it. I remade it.

A spinning fan, when stationary, looks pretty much the same, so I grabbed an old pedestal fan motor and re-made the fan with oversized and overlapping blades this time. I have to source some thrust-bearings to square up the fan-plate and take the wobble out of it, but it is symmetrical, balanced and looks great in motion.

2HJn5uH.jpg

hW2dB80.jpg

RTmNihS.jpg

99eIiDf.jpg

lcOmWdX.jpg

USK9NYf.jpg

0CcsJYI.jpg

The fan has to go inside the ship’s fuselage just behind the cockpit, but that’s really no biggie. Even some of our modern day aircraft, like the Harrier Jump Jet have a similar design. I cut a slot in the side to allow for the fan.

pa4kcFV.jpg

r5SS6C6.jpg

Full story on the engines here.

15. Dirtdives

So will you have the throttle in the cockpit controlling this?

16. Sandbagger

Not too many spoilers just yet mate. :p

Baz

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  17. Sandbagger

Update:

Modular breakdown of the engine nacelles. The engines are 2.41 metres, even before the exhaust goes on the end, so I’ve decided to break them in half for ease of storage, transport and assembly on site. Today I got the first half of the port nacelle framed up and formers spaced apart.

18. Sandbagger

19. Sandbagger

The race against time!

Once you open a can of this stuff, you have to use it all in one go or risk it going off in the can, or leaking propellant so you end up with a can of glue and nothing to push it out. It's amazing how solid and rigid the structure becomes with all the polystyrene glued in place. I also reinforced it by gluing in a double wall behind the skin once it set. Ready for sanding.

AyDNYmQ.jpg

20. mkshane81

mkshane81 Well-Known Member

This has been a pretty fun build to watch Barry, awesome stuff buddy!

-Matt

21. Sandbagger

Thanks Matt.

Welding engine frames continued.

My fortnightly Saturday off to work on the project has been building up. Friday afternoon I picked up all the steel to finish the engine frames.

I had to settle for galvanised steel as they were out of stock of the plain blue painted. I hate gal. Been poisoned badly before, welding this *. Lots of extra grinding of the joints prior to welding to reduce it. Window and shed door wide open, fan on full blast…let’s get this over with.

YoD4DyJ.jpg

dHuvphL.jpg

bI9BLfB.jpg

paccgCE.jpg

dwufHvJ.jpg

ArEHpiq.jpg

lwdBe29.jpg

22. Dirtdives

OH yes, the trials and tribulations of wielding Gal......we've all been there......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lieutenant Jaku and Sean Anwalt like this.
  23. whtknght

whtknght New Member

I am Impressed.

24. Sandbagger

Starboard engine nacelle.

25. Sandbagger

Another big day of Viper building coming up on Saturday. I'm hoping to get the second half of engine two welded up and assembled. I will be pushing myself to work out the attachment points for the undercarriage, then mount the engines once the weight is supported. Ambitious. Lord keep the enemy from standing in my way!