Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Added the catapult coupling.

Full story on the landing gear here. Viper MkII Landing Gear

gfhlYpS.jpg

You sir, have won the internet today. Bravo :lol:

This build never ceases to amaze me. I loved the classic movie when they found the 13th colony. The newer series were cool at the start but slowed down to a point were i stopped watching. May watch it after i finish up dragons :rolleyes:

You sir, have won the internet today. Bravo :lol:

This build never ceases to amaze me. I loved the classic movie when they found the 13th colony. The newer series were cool at the start but slowed down to a point were i stopped watching. May watch it after i finish up dragons :rolleyes:

Thank you sir. I loved the entire new series, start to finish. Lots of people knock it, or parts of it, but no matter who writes or directs, you are never going to please everyone. Still, proof is in the pudding and it has been widely accepted as some of the best sci-fi ever.

From wiki:

"garnered a wide range of critical acclaim, which included a Peabody Award, the Television Critics Association's Program of the Year Award, a placement inside Time's 100 Best TV Shows of All-Time,[5] and Emmy nominations for its writing, directing, costume design, visual effects, sound mixing, and sound editing, with Emmy wins for both visual effects and sound editing."

and

List of awards and nominations received by Battlestar Galactica - Wikipedia

The back legs are confusing to translate from the technical drawings to reality, but I'm getting there. The difficulty is that there are so many weird angles to get right. Hardly a plumb aspect to it and few 90 degree angles. At one stage, idiot stupid me made both cowlings the same instead of mirror image! GAAAHH!!!!

I would have a much easier time of it if I could afford decent quality wood and a big variety of thicknesses to choose from. Unfortunately, a lot of the wood is second hand, poor quality and I have to do it in layers. Lots of layers means lots of cleaning up to get them all the same. Freehand with a jigsaw is hard to keep accurate to the drawn lines, so finishing off with a flap disk then hand-sanding to make it all look like one piece once it's painted. A little bit of putty goes a long way, but paint hides all manner of sin.

Full story here >>> Viper Build – Builds by Baz

qAKLGgV.jpg

AbBuW9X.jpg

FiRkUsa.jpg

U0z1xzC.jpg

Thanks Zyzgy. :)

Thanks to a new social media friend named Sean, who kindly provided a long off-cut of rubber mat to simulate the texture of the technical drawings. Preliminary fit shows it is easy to cut and trim using a knife, but will need some contact adhesive to lock it down flat.

tyI0HdG.jpg

D6e8DV3.jpg

After contact adhesive. Lovely and flat.

xVcpsDU.jpg

Adding hydraulic lines using plastic coat-hangers. (Still gotta glue down the rubber mat.)

BpxsmfX.jpg

0IlfpOx.jpg

zBv9GPK.jpg

Replacing the catapult linkage. I’ve kicked and broken the plywood/plastic one twice now, so it’s time to replace it with 10mm plate steel and steel tube. Strong enough to sling-shot a Viper out of a launch tube!

R6vCdDo.jpg

m1XAd7y.jpg

9FRCpCr.jpg

lJalflO.jpg

ZbtEFef.jpg

yliToGG.jpg

Plastic coat hangers as hydraulic lines! Why didn't I think of that. You just solved a problem I've been struggling with. Thanks! :)
Love your massive build and look forward to see how it come together.

I have a bit of welding to do inside, that I've been putting off.

Some alignment lugs at each opposing end of the modules where they meet.
Feet under the cockpit that come all the way to the skin, so I can rest it on a pallet and frame without breaking it.
Frames at the bottom of the first and last former of each module, so that if they are dropped during assembly, they don't break on the ends.
Finally, some rings welded under the frames that I can slide poles under. through the sides of each module, for manual handling and positioning of the modules during assembly and disassembly of the ship.

This new phone camera is ****.

BSW9O84.jpg

ruKnn3X.jpg

Photo showing modular sections on end for transport and storage.

sbzlbvW.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back