Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by Sandbagger, Aug 13, 2017.

  1. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    Just building a little detail in the landing gear cowlings tonight.

    J5IjhaM.jpg

    q6vDPLR.jpg

    Pv62qvy.jpg

    peLgHPi.jpg

    wNJ7lhq.jpg

    VJ2YXUo.jpg
     
  2. Zyzgy

    Zyzgy New Member

    Simply amazing!
     
  3. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    Thanks Zyzgy. :)

    Thanks to a new social media friend named Sean, who kindly provided a long off-cut of rubber mat to simulate the texture of the technical drawings. Preliminary fit shows it is easy to cut and trim using a knife, but will need some contact adhesive to lock it down flat.

    tyI0HdG.jpg

    D6e8DV3.jpg
     
  4. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    After contact adhesive. Lovely and flat.

    xVcpsDU.jpg

    Adding hydraulic lines using plastic coat-hangers. (Still gotta glue down the rubber mat.)

    BpxsmfX.jpg

    0IlfpOx.jpg

    zBv9GPK.jpg

    Replacing the catapult linkage. I’ve kicked and broken the plywood/plastic one twice now, so it’s time to replace it with 10mm plate steel and steel tube. Strong enough to sling-shot a Viper out of a launch tube!

    R6vCdDo.jpg

    m1XAd7y.jpg

    9FRCpCr.jpg

    lJalflO.jpg

    ZbtEFef.jpg

    yliToGG.jpg
     
  5. Mysterythetiger

    Mysterythetiger New Member

    Plastic coat hangers as hydraulic lines! Why didn't I think of that. You just solved a problem I've been struggling with. Thanks! :)
    Love your massive build and look forward to see how it come together.
     
  6. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    Glad I could help. Here's an update.

     
  7. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    OOOoohhh that sleek, sexy shape! A couple of hours of sanding has produced spectacular results.

    MSewwkx.jpg

    xwCuXrD.jpg

    ZTryybn.jpg

    DY0a7FW.jpg

    Also got the template plans for the last set of fuselage formers. Engines next!

    83qCHF1.jpg
     
  8. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    Module 5, the last one in the fuselage, bringing it to full length of 8.4 metres. Progress shots.

    zPNX5i3.jpg

    mnLNmye.jpg

    J7jipLE.jpg
     
  9. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    The last fuselage module, (5) is now assembled, attached and ready for bracing and skinning.

    GE6Q7bL.jpg

    pOKq1J9.png

    qGILjOO.jpg

    uBj4yNs.jpg

     
  10. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    I have a bit of welding to do inside, that I've been putting off.

    Some alignment lugs at each opposing end of the modules where they meet.
    Feet under the cockpit that come all the way to the skin, so I can rest it on a pallet and frame without breaking it.
    Frames at the bottom of the first and last former of each module, so that if they are dropped during assembly, they don't break on the ends.
    Finally, some rings welded under the frames that I can slide poles under. through the sides of each module, for manual handling and positioning of the modules during assembly and disassembly of the ship.

    This new phone camera is shit.

    BSW9O84.jpg

    ruKnn3X.jpg

    Photo showing modular sections on end for transport and storage.

    sbzlbvW.jpg
     
  11. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    Tonight I welded support rails under the chassis frame and raised the fuselage to correct height. Now I can work out the landing gear attachment points. I've been putting this off for a while but it has got to the point now that I have to do it because the build is progressing way faster than I thought it would. Having the fuselage higher will also make it easier to finish skinning the underside.

    VHesobE.jpg
     
  12. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    20 May 2018 OWEEE!! Saturday was a day I had set aside and planned for about three weeks. I had barely got started when BAM! The Viper frame of module two slipped off it's alignment lugs and dropped with full force onto my finger on the saw-horse underneath it. The force mashed the meat of my finger so that it popped out the side and fractured the bone. Five hours of waiting in the Emergency Department of my local hospital and the daylight was gone.

    422-225x300.jpg

    Since then, I've rested a little but started to test what I can do with the remaining fingers while trying to keep the bandaged one out of harm's way.

    I've tinkered a little, adjusting an undersized former in module and screwed in a couple of electrical busses to hook all my 12V instruments into for easy connection and fault diagnosis, I've also welded in the guides for the lifting poles for a two-person carry of a module.

    423-300x225.jpg

    419-300x225.jpg 420-300x225.jpg 421-300x225.jpg

    Tonight I managed to get module two into position at full height with some creative rope-work and careful chocking. Made a sturdy frame under it that bolts to the saw-horse so it shouldn't drop on my finger again.

    424-300x225.jpg
     
    Dirtdives likes this.
  13. Sandbagger

    Sandbagger Well-Known Member

    More skinning last night with one hand tied behind my back...

    F1tz6Pw.jpg
     
  14. Dirtdives

    Dirtdives

    Dude.........please be careful!!! No project is worth loosing a digit or 3..........even if it is as kick-ass as this one is.
     

Share This Page