Builds By Baz - Full scale MKII Colonial Viper

after you finish the ship do you plan to rebuild the wall and other things you destroyed? or just leave it as is to have room for more projects like this.

Tearing the lot down to build an extension of two rooms on the end of the house.

You broke the wall? Why not just move the whole thing forward?

Because there's a wall in front of it.

Demolitions complete, (of one wall at least). Area all cleaned up and rubble removed. I have a lot more room to continue the build now. Smoothing and detailing along with the engine exhausts to finish and clad the legs in steel housing.

Wr7csbP.jpg

hQo00aG.jpg

cYlqP0m.jpg

A mate dropped off an air filter/water trap/ It's not exactly the same as the screen-used prop, but it's pretty close.

SVy2vDX.jpg

Take two. I'm approaching the engine maintenance panels a different way. The plastic barrel idea didn't work. Trying wooden arcs of different diameters, shaped and carved then sandwiched together.

Using pieces of timber of the demolished pergola to make engine forms.

Here's a shot of the production prop, the part I'm trying to replicate from my scraps.

GBE2ZZG.jpg

Here's the workflow over the last couple of days.

JhURfxF.jpg

JqG9mtR.jpg

UQq1kJo.jpg

0LItsoL.jpg

xtSuBeJ.jpg

6NviPk9.jpg

r1AX4MQ.jpg

o1aAFMH.jpg

Working out the location of the cannons.

1EL8Z7F.jpg

One completed inspection panel on the port side of the Viper's engine nacelles, made out of scrap ply and some timbers from my demolished pergola. The thing that strikes me humorous is the air filter/water trap that is not only installed upside down, but probably wouldn't work in zero G anyway. Still, it looks cool. I think I've got it pretty close, considering the limited materials and detailed photos I have at my disposal.

RyvxZYP.jpg

d6fGMKS.jpg

Today's work. Take three on the engine inspection panel. I don't like the angle it is sitting on at the specified height so I've smashed it off. If it was a complete barrel, the top would be outside the nacelle housing. Keeping the details, but changing the sides and base to adjust the angle once installed.

wF7eh0K.jpg

That's looking better. I put a lean-back on it, so now the representation of the whole, by seeing only a part, is more effective and convincing.

JrFrea1.jpg

Avionics access panel. For lack of detailed dimensions, I'm doing this by eye from photo references. Plotting it all out first, then I'll fabricate in wood and plastic.

TlRMHmm.jpg

QLnEfj3.jpg

I came home to find the tarp is getting old and the d-rings are starting to perish and let go. With an impending thunderstorm approaching, it was a good opportunity to re-set the tarp and change the orientation of it to better cover the Viper. I took a shot from the roof while I was up there.

qJOsBeB.jpg

I'm trying to find the origins of the central box and the fan in the picture below. What model was the fan? It is considerably larger and different in appearance than your standard PC cooling fan. Was the box a cast aluminium transformer box, telephone connection box or wifi? Image credit Tony Celliers.

I have a 3D STL file of it, but if I could find the real thing it would save a lot of hassle.

Uijmx8i.jpg

In the mean time, I've started work on other greeblies around the ship, using up all the scrap wood in my shed.

VphFtP7.jpg

MoLF54J.jpg

OaWv3lP.jpg

imdGuJr.jpg

U57nQPD.jpg

fFATMhh.jpg

I found all the info I needed on the bits on the aft panels. Looks like Galactiguise has been updated since last I looked there. Looks like a lot of people who have been digging for answers for me also found the same links. :D Thanks everyone!

Aft Engine Panels

In the meantime, it's been interesting trying to find all the useful bits of scrap wood and coming up with a way to use it all to make the avionics details.

I've made a good start, using PVC pipe, some bolts and blocks of wood.

A9zxTlj.jpg

sE7AVw0.jpg

Oc6eOCv.jpg

fKTMHuq.jpg

KLKPWo1.jpg

rob6vn9.jpg

0GpzfKr.jpg

RXU5V3n.jpg

Today's update:

All of the details that make up the aft engine access panels are off-the-shelf products, many of which are still available today in your average hardware store. The rest, is easily reproduced using wood and some imagination. Below are some photographs from internet image searches, of the original prop uses for the series.

Jyp8g0f.jpg

0QvqL2C.jpg

Starboard engine access panel fuel lines complete. I'll tidy up the ends and re-paint. One of the props had an extra pipe so I put it in.

T4QkeRv.jpg

DIXxBw5.jpg

Continuing with the main fuselage avionics panel details.

avsPRMN.jpg

WAufAvb.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back